Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst . 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 46 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

1. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns to face struggling Cowboys

Thank you for your thoughts. As I indicated in my post to GoneGolfin, I have no quarrel w/ his facts. But his rain out comment was, I thought, unnecessary, unworthy of his typical and usual high road approach and completely unmindful of the rivalry to which you speak. I hope the Cajuns and the Cowboys (both men's and women's teams) continue to schedule games when able to do so.

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns to face struggling Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by Chris V.
    Thank you for your thoughts. As I indicated in my post to GoneGolfin, I have no quarrel w/ his facts. But his rain out comment was, I thought, unnecessary, unworthy of his typical and usual high road approach and completely unmindful of the rivalry to which you speak. I hope the Cajuns and the Cowboys (both men's and women's teams) continue to schedule games when able to do so.
    I think we are simply stating the obvious. UL has a real shot this season, and the better our RPI, the better the post season seeding. THIS SEASON McNeese is having in baseball what we had in basketball. Now if we were playing in the SEC it would not make much of a difference, but the Sun Belt is not the SEC and we need every point we can get. He is not IMO suggesting the ending of this relationship or even a temporary stoppage. He is only saying win or lose we would be better off if the game does not happen in 2007.

UL Baseball Re: Ragin' Cajuns to face struggling Cowboys

Here's a few.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos
    Here's a few.
    I like our camouflage ones that we are going to wear on Armed Forces Day in April. At least, they look like real camouflage. Maybe, we won't be able to see the players and their bad play.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/.on/988322.jpeg

Note: The green jerseys on the left were worn on St. Patrick's Day then sold. They also had matching hats.

Doc

6. UL Baseball Re: Ragin' Cajuns to face struggling Cowboys

"A rainout will be advantageous w/respect to the RPI."

I've been generally complimentary to you and your knowledge of matters involving college baseball. And, to be clear, I understand the accuracy of what you've posted.

However, the quoted passage is, simply, not worthy of your standards.
    Chris, I was not advocating a rainout. I was simply illustrating the impact that playing the game has on the RPI in this situation.

You sleep in the bed you made.

Brian

7. UL Baseball Re: Ragin' Cajuns to face struggling Cowboys

I am sorry you misunderstood my post.

Brian

8. UL Baseball Re: Ragin' Cajuns to face struggling Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    He is not IMO suggesting the ending of this relationship or even a temporary stoppage. He is only saying win or lose we would be better off if the game does not happen in 2007.
    Thank you Cajun Express . yes, this was my point. My post was solely in regards to the effect on the RPI.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    Scott, where the he*l you been boy???

LOL

I am still in Alabama.

Z.
    Well I was in Texas for quite a while. But I got to stay home for the last couple weeks cuz my house was finished being built. I've been in Abbeville for the last 2 weeks, and hopefully for 2 more. I'm lovin bein at home, but you know what that does to that 2 week check.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog308
    Well I was in Texas for quite a while. But I got to stay home for the last couple weeks cuz my house was finished being built. I've been in Abbeville for the last 2 weeks, and hopefully for 2 more. I'm lovin bein at home, but you know what that does to that 2 week check.
    Thats why I like the road!!!! Tell your Mom I said, Hey!

Z.

11. UL Baseball Cajun baseball rolls to win over McNeese State

LAKE CHARLES - UL's Ragin' Cajuns baseball team used 12 hits including a Jonathan Lucroy grand slam to power past McNeese State 9-5 on Tuesday night at Cowboy Diamond.

The Cajuns (17-5) improved to 14-0 when they collect double-digit hits in a game. UL also improved its record against in-state opponents to 5-1 on the season.

Four different Cajuns players collected multiple hits in the game, including Lucroy who was 2-for-4 with a grand slam. Aside from the grand slam, Lucroy had an RBI single and a sacrifice fly for six RBI on the night. It was the second time in 2007 that Lucroy has recorded six RBI in one game.

Jefferies Tatford was a perfect 2-for-2 on the night and reached base safely in all five plate appearances. Tatford drew three walks on the evening. He scored three runs and drove in a pair.

Scott Hawkins was 3-for-5 on the night - his 10th multi hit game of the season.

Justin Robichaux earned his second win of the season tossing 2.1 innings of relief. He retired the first three batters he faced by strikeout.

The rest of the story

12. UL Baseball Quick Scouting Report on FAU

The following is a quick scouting report on FAU since Jay and I were not able to hook up on Bird's Eye View yesterday.

Florida Atlantic (18-7, 2-4, Base RPI 56, Adjusted RPI 56)
    at
    Louisiana (17-5, 4-2, Base RPI 33, Adjusted RPI 28)

The Owls entered their inaugural Sun Belt season expecting to depend on a solid and seasoned starting rotation and bullpen, especially after the losses of Ovy Ramirez (.310, 5 HR, 40 RBI) and Jordan Hafer (.344, 9 HR, 34 RBI) to academics and injury respectively. But injuries to the pitching staff and an unexpected level of offensive production from the lineup as a whole have resulted in a club that is more balanced.

2005 Collegiate Baseball Freshman Pitcher of the Year (Hunter Moody’s freshman season) Mickey Storey has been sidelined with a sore elbow, after beginning the season with a 3-0 record and 3.07 ERA. This is impressive since Storey gets the most difficult assignments, defeating Oklahoma State and leaving the Rice game tied at two in the seventh. Storey may return to action next weekend, but Coach Kevin Cooney is exercising caution and two weeks seems more likely. This leaves a big hole for the Owls to fill and Cooney has been playing around with the rotation in the hopes of finding the correct formula.

If that is not enough, closer Joel Schmal (2-0, 1.46, 1 Save, .238 OBA) came down with a case of appendicitis on the plane ride home from the Rice Invitational in late February. Coach Cooney was expecting to move Schmal into the Saturday slot once conference play commenced, but the operation threw a wrench into these plans. Schmal pitched for the first time since 2/24 when he threw an inning against Dartmouth this past Wednesday evening. How much time the softer tossing Schmal can give Cooney out of the bullpen this weekend is unclear. But his return is sorely needed for a club that has struggled on the mound and in the field recently. Schmal features some good offspeed stuff (excellent soft curve).

Brandon Cooney was the #2 starter last season, but has struggled mightily this season (2-3, 7.32, .339 OBA). Cooney was drafted in the 20th round of the ‘06 MLB draft, but elected to play his senior season. Cooney, like Danny Farquhar, prepped at Archbishop McArthur in Pembroke Pines, Florida. Cooney has been the Sunday starter while Storey has been out. Junior Mike Obradovich (4-1, 6.48, .331) has taken over Friday night duties, but struggled last weekend against Troy. Junior Justin Phillabaum has been the new #2 (1-1, 4.91, .282 OBA). Cooney could shake up the rotation some this weekend.

While the starting rotation has been a revolving door, the leader in the bullpen has been clear. Hard throwing senior Chris Salberg (#3 starter in ’06) has been the go to guy in the middle and late innings. Salberg is a pitcher that Cooney will not hesitate to use four or five innings on a Friday and come back with him on Sunday. Something to watch, Salberg really loves to throw inside and has plunked his fair share of batters this season (about one every four innings). Junior Chris Eberhart (2-0, 4.58, .343 OBA) has also pitched well at times in relief this season.

While the pitching has been inconsistent at times this season (4.97, .282 OBA) and the defense has been a problem (.954 FP), the offensive production has been stellar. The Owls feature the best hitting team in the Sun Belt thus far (.359, 47 HR, 48/65 SB) and also like to pressure the opposing defense on the base paths. In addition, the Owls draw a lot of walks, but also succumb to the strikeout more than anyone in the league.

Leading the way for FAU is junior right-fielder and first baseman Robbie Widlansky (.427, 7 HR, 36 RBI, 8/11 SB). Widlansky had an excellent sophomore season in 2005, but was granted a medical redshirt in 2006 after tearing a hamstring. Widlansky is an excellent athlete that can run, hit for average, and hit for power. Widlansky was a 34th round draft pick out of high school.

The Owls complement Widlansky with a fearful first five in the batting lineup. Sophomore 3B/2B William Block (.375, 7 HR, 25 RBI, 7/9 SB), junior JC Transfer Daniel Bomback (.375, 9 HR, 29 RBI, 7/9 SB), junior LF Mike McKenna (.371, 8 HR, 34 RBI), and junior CF Daniel Cook (.446, 3 HR, 20 RBI, 12/15 SB) highlight the lofty offensive numbers in the FAU lineup.

FAU is a team that has been in some very exciting and strange games this season. The Owls have some impressive comebacks to their credit, while also blowing some games defensively in strange fashion. Rest assured that this team thinks that they can score five in the ninth inning to beat you. The Cajuns will need to hit the ball and play defense this weekend to win the series.

Brian

Default Re: Quick Scouting Report on FAU

This is pretty amazing, Brian. The info you provide us helps make the season even more enjoyable than it already would be.

thanks. I just printed this out to take with me to the game.

Default What u think is realistic best case scenario & realistic worst case scenario vs FAU?

I think best case (realistically) is a sweep, worst case (realistically) is 1 of 3.

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. UL Baseball Re: Quick Scouting Report on FAU

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed
    This is pretty amazing, Brian. The info you provide us helps make the season even more enjoyable than it already would be.

thanks. I just printed this out to take with me to the game.
    You are welcome. That was a fantastic game to watch tonight (made the trip from Austin).

Fantastic win tonight and a great outing by Buddy once again. His changeup was superb. He was able to make some very good hitters look silly on a few of the changes.You will not see Widlansky strike out twice very often.

How about Cooney making the move to bring in the soft tossing lefty (Schmal) against Tatford in the 8th? :-)

Brian

Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst . 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 46 . LastLast

Thread Information