Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: Lady Cajuns softball 2007 Season

1. UL Softball Lady Cajuns defeat Ole Miss 3-1

Cuevas struck out six Ole Miss batters in the first three innings to set the tone for the Cajuns in game two.

A two-out walk to Godwin in the top of the third inning led to the first run of the contest. Godwin then stole second base and scored when Runyan hit a rocket shot off the top of the glove of Ole Miss shortstop Ashley Dowdy.

The Cajuns bats came through with another timely hit in the fourth inning to open a 2-0 lead.

Tankersley led off with a single into left field. Pinch runner Courtney Trahan stole second base to move into scoring position with no outs. After a one-out walk to Bowers, Tara Hamilton lined a single into left field allowing Trahan to score.

Runners were on second and third base with one out. Ole Miss escaped further damage in the inning when Hubbard hit into a fielder’s choice grounder at second base that led to Bowers’ being tagged out at home plate. With Hamilton on third base, Gaspard grounded out to third base to end the threat.

Holding on to a 2-0 lead in the fifth inning, Cuevas worked out a bases loaded jam with two outs by getting Lisa Conchos to pop out at shortstop for the final out.

The Rebels got one run closer in the bottom of the sixth inning when Alyssa McGovern lifted a high fly ball into deep left field that bounced off the top of the fence and back into play for a triple that scored Ashley Dowdy who had reached on a two-out single. Cuevas got another “pressure” out when she forced Lauren Rowe to pop out at second base keeping the Cajuns lead at 2-1.

Yet another timely hit added an insurance run for UL in the seventh inning.

Hubbard began the seventh slapping a triple over the Rebels’ outfield which was playing shallow. Two batters later and a Godwin grounder to shortstop plated Hubbard upping the UL lead to 3-1.

Cuevas struck out Emily Sarver leading off the bottom of the seventh inning. Alise Doubt reached on a fielding error by Bertucci then Cuevas struck out Mary Jane Callahan for the second out. Hubbard then made a catch on the run in right center field to record the final out.

Cuevas had another solid outing in the circle for the Cajuns. Ole Miss got five of their six hits in the fifth and sixth innings and never threatened in any of the other five innings.

Cuevas improved her record to 5-0 after holding the Rebels to six hits over seven innings and striking out nine.

No. 16 Louisiana-Lafayette continues play in the Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational on Saturday, Feb. 17 hosting Purdue at 11:30 a.m., and Baylor at 4:30 p.m.

The Purdue game will be televised locally on My KLAF-TV (cable 13,DirecTV 62).

LOUISIANA SI

Default Re: Lady Cajuns defeat Ole Miss 3-1

SECNo Big deal

3. UL Softball Re: Lady Cajuns defeat Ole Miss 3-1

Now, the true test will be if we can beat Baylor. Does anyone remember last year if we played them in the regionals? I know they were in our pool, but I only remember LSwho? beating them. I was there, in true cajun fashion, of course, bearing the elements and almost having a heat stroke as do you true softball fans recall, but all I remember was sobbing after we lost to LSpuke, then everything went black. (I still cry sometimes at night remembering how our bid to the NCAA world series was this close to have it all stolen away, by an overrated bunch who wears purple and gold, half of whom are from Acadiana, traitors!) Can someone tell me, thanks!

4. UL Softball Lady Cajun's pitching depth shines

The biggest question on UL's softball team entering the 2007 season was its pitching, but those questions are starting to get answers.

In fact, freshman Brittany Cuevas had another in a series of emphatic answers Friday in helping the UL squad go 2-0 on the first day of its own Ragin' Cajuns Invitational at Lamson Park.

Cuevas scattered six hits and fanned nine in a 3-1 victory over Ole Miss in Friday's late Cajun game, after Holly Tankersley threw six strong innings in an earlier 6-3 victory over Iowa State.

UL (9-1) moved to 2-0 in the five-team round-robin and will face Purdue at 11:30 a.m. and 16th-ranked Baylor at 4:30 p.m. today in its other round-robin games. The five teams will be seeded by tournament record for a championship bracket Sunday.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

UL Softball Re: Lady Cajuns defeat Ole Miss 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by angellebertrand
    Now, the true test will be if we can beat Baylor. Does anyone remember last year if we played them in the regionals? I know they were in our pool, but I only remember LSwho? beating them. I was there, in true cajun fashion, of course, bearing the elements and almost having a heat stroke as do you true softball fans recall, but all I remember was sobbing after we lost to LSpuke, then everything went black. (I still cry sometimes at night remembering how our bid to the NCAA world series was this close to have it all stolen away, by an overrated bunch who wears purple and gold, half of whom are from Acadiana, traitors!) Can someone tell me, thanks!
    Try this site, it might jog your memory. Don't worry about who isn't on your team. I don't give a rat's behind about Purple Haze U and who is on it's squad, and it would help you out a lot to also forget about them.

http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/w.-spec-rel.html

6. UL Softball Lady Cajuns bring hard hits to 10-2 wins

Chalk up two more heroes and two more run-rule victories for UL's softball squad. While you're at it, chalk up another win over a ranked team.

The Ragin' Cajun squad posted a pair of 10-2 victories over Purdue and 16th-ranked Baylor Saturday to wrap up round-robin play in the Ragin' Cajuns Invitational at Lamson Park, claiming the top-seeded spot for today's championship round in impressive fashion.

Holly Tankersley twirled a three-hitter and didn't allow an earned run while also launching two home runs against the Boilermakers, and Melissa Verde had two homers in an eight-run sixth inning including a game-clinching grand slam in the victory over the Bears.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

7. UL Softball Softball Schedule for Today

Game 11 - 8:00 a.m. – Purdue vs. Iowa State

Game 12 - 10:30 a.m. – Baylor vs. Ole Miss

Game 13 - 1:00 p.m. – Louisiana-Lafayette vs. Purdue-Iowa State winner

Game 14 - 3:30 p.m. – Championship Game (Game 12 winner vs. Game 13 winner)

Default Re: Softball Schedule for Today

The Purdue Iowa State winner should have to turn right around and play their semifinal game. The winner of Baylor Ole Miss should not be the team getting the break between the championship game.

Default Re: Lady Cajuns bring hard hits to 10-2 wins

I'm not sure if AM 1420 is broadcasting the Lady Cajuns this weekend. If they aren't and you are interested in watching the live stats of any of the games today here's the link:

www.louisiana.edu/softball

I know that ragincajuns.com is down but I hadn't realized that they had this on the main school website.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    I'm not sure if AM 1420 is broadcasting the Lady Cajuns this weekend. If they aren't and you are interested in watching the live stats of any of the games today here's the link:

I know that ragincajuns.com is down but I hadn't realized that they had this on the main school website.
    Sure would be nice to pick it up on internet 1420, but thanks for the live stat link. I can't wait to someday see all Cajun sports broadcasted on HD internationally. Until then, thanks again for the stat link.

Default Re: Softball Schedule for Today

Quote Originally Posted by Turner
    The Purdue Iowa State winner should have to turn right around and play their semifinal game. The winner of Baylor Ole Miss should not be the team getting the break between the championship game.
    IMHAO it won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More
    Sure would be nice to pick it up on internet 1420, but thanks for the live stat link. I can't wait to someday see all Cajun sports broadcasted on HD internationally. Until then, thanks again for the stat link.
    I think they would normally have aired it on ESPN 1420, but Jay is (today) on his way back from denver, and steve is in Texas for the UL baseball game. Trust me if it would have worked out, I'm sure stevie p would have loved to be in town calling these games.

Default Lady Cajuns Softball Live Stat Link

Not on the radio because of baseball game in Texas and basketball game in Denver last night. But here's the next best thing. Live Stats

Default Re: Lady Cajuns Softball Live Stat Link

Quote Originally Posted by Kal

Not on the radio because of baseball game in Texas and basketball game in Denver last night. But here's the next best thing. Live Stats
    Currently 4-1 Baylor over Ole Miss in the 3rd inning.

15. Default Re: Softball Schedule for Today

Quote Originally Posted by Pirogue
    IMHAO it won't matter.

Purdue and ISU went 12 innings. Should be low on pitching for the Cajun game.
    Should hopefully give us a free pass into the finals vs Baylor who is taking care of Ole Miss.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread Information