Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst . 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: Lady Cajuns softball 2007 Season

1. Default Revived Lady Cajun softball squad hosts Trojans

Sometimes, timing is everything, and UL's softball team could be the beneficiary of some good timing this weekend.

The Ragin' Cajuns, a struggling team over the last two weeks, had a stunning turnaround Wednesday in a doubleheader sweep of highly-regarded Houston.

Now, the 21st-ranked Cajuns look to continue that hot streak today and Sunday when they play perhaps their biggest Sun Belt Conference series ever. UL (37-12, 8-6) hosts league leader Troy (35-12, 13-5) in a weekend series at Lamson Park, playing a 1 p.m. doubleheader today and a 1 p.m. single game Sunday.

The visiting Trojans lead the Sun Belt by 1 1/2 games over Middle Tennessee, while the Cajuns are tied for third with South Alabama. The Cajuns need to take no worse than a series win to have a chance at their eighth straight league title, and a sweep would put UL tied with Middle and in a virtual tie with Troy atop the league.

UL's preparation, though, won't be any different despite the series ramifications, according to Cajun coach Stefni Lotief.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

SLII 1901-1921 Lynn Britton

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    _ _
    Does anyone know what's the reason for Lynn Britton not being allowed/voted into the cajuns hall of fame? I just heard about it and find it very odd that the only 4 time all american is not voted in. Something very strange about that!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Lynn Britton

Quote Originally Posted by cayenethepepper
    Does anyone know what's the reason for Lynn Britton not being allowed/voted into the cajuns hall of fame? I just heard about it and find it very odd that the only 4 time all american is not voted in. Something very strange about that!
    what do you think the reason is?

Z.

SLII 1901-1921 Re: Lynn Britton

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    _ what do you think the reason is?

Z. _
    Uhhhhhh.if I knew I wouldn't ask bro!! What do you think the reason is?

Default Re: Lynn Britton

Quote Originally Posted by cayenethepepper
    _ Uhhhhhh.if I knew I wouldn't ask bro!! What do you think the reason is? _

Dont worry about zebras stupid question to you he was probably in need of his medicine.

6. UL Softball Mr. Bitter Pitches a Lady Cajun No Hitter, Great Scott and the ULWomen fall 8-5

UL wins first game with Cuevas no-hitter, loses second by 3 runs
    ESPN 1420 broadcast announcers fill in for Steve Peloquin

A freshman puts together a career performance, and then your player-of-the-year finalist gets thumped.

Welcome to Ragin' Cajun softball, as the team's April struggles continued during a split of Saturday's Sun Belt Conference doubleheader with Troy at Lamson Park.

"We would have liked to have had a better mound presence in Game 2," UL coach Stefni Lotief said after Troy smashed four home runs to win 8-5 in the second game of the weekend series.

"But our offense really stepped up today and, obviously, Brittany Cuevas was phenomenal in Game 1," she said. "Those are the positives I'm going to look at and just get ready for the next one."

Having won every Sun Belt regular-season title since Lotief took over the program in 2001, UL is dangerously close to the edge of entering the conference tournament in a couple of weeks without the No. 1 seed.

Troy came into the series in first place with a 13-5 Sun Belt record. UL - which stumbled to 3-5 overall and 1-4 conference records in April - was at 8-6. Also at six losses were Middle Tennessee State (11-6), South Alabama (8-6), Florida Atlantic (6-6) and Western Kentucky (6-6).

Confused? Just think how a large and rowdy crowd viewed Saturday's play.

The rest of the story

Bob Heist
    bheist@theadvertiser.com

7. UL Softball Heist: Losses show holes in ULWomen' dominance

For six seasons under Stefni Lotief, UL has dominated Sun Belt Conference softball like no other program. Consider:

Since Lotief was named head coach in 2001, the Ragin' Cajuns were 96-9 in conference play prior to 2007.

Lotief's teams have won every Sun Belt regular-season title and swept through the conference tournament, winning the last six championship games by a 46-11 margin in combined runs.

In fact, UL has been nearly bullet-proof against Sun Belt competition. Including a 22-0 record in tournament play, the Ragin' Cajuns are 118-9 against league opponents since 2000.

But this season, some folks have decided to spit in Superman's face. And Troy did just that in Game 2 of Saturday's doubleheader at Lamson Park.

No-hit by UL's freshman standout Brittany Cuevas in the opener, the Trojans made a statement by hitting four home runs to win Game 2, 85.

College softball player of the year finalist Holly Tankersley only allowed four hits in the second game, but three left the park as Felicia Hammer, Heidi Johnson and Courtney Davis all smashed home runs for Troy.

The rest of the story

Bob Heist
    bheist@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Mr. Bitter Pitches a Lady Cajun No Hitter, Great Scott and the ULWomen fall 8-5

I've not been a fan of Bitter in the past. but I am willing to compliment him for stepping forward following the tradegy in Steve's family and helping out with calling the game. I think, under the circumstances, that he did a great job. AND EVEN REFERED TO OUR SCHOOL AS THE "UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA".

My compliments, Mr. Bitter.

9. Default Re: Mr. Bitter Pitches a Lady Cajun No Hitter, Great Scott and the ULWomen fall 8-5

_ _
    According to a Lady Cajun injury report Tankersley has an injury to her pitching hand, which prevents her from gripping the ball tightly. This is a possible explanation for her giving up those homeruns. Without those the Ladies have a chance of winning the game and a complete sweep of the series, since they mercy ruled Troy 8-0 this afternoon.

Next season we have Cuevas and the signee from John Curtis, Brignac, available for pitching duties. Tankersley can concentrate on her hitting, and the Ladies will be little more experienced. Should be a fun year. Those folks who took advantage of our inexperience, and pitching depth this year had better savor the moment, cause their chances of a repeat next year will be nil to none!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Mr. Bitter Pitches a Lady Cajun No Hitter, Great Scott and the ULWomen fall 8-5

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie
    According to a Lady Cajun injury report Tankersley has an injury to her pitching hand, which prevents her from gripping the ball tightly. This is a possible explanation for her giving up those homeruns. Without those the Ladies have a chance of winning the game and a complete sweep of the series, since they mercy ruled Troy 8-0 this afternoon.

Next season we have Cuevas and the signee from John Curtis, Brignac, available for pitching duties. Tankersley can concentrate on her hitting, and the Ladies will be little more experienced. Should be a fun year. Those folks who took advantage of our inexperience, and pitching depth this year had better savor the moment, cause their chances of a repeat next year will be nil to none!
    Lets not forget Ms Donna Bourgeois from Teurlings. According to Guru she has just recently been clocked at 63 mph. next yearOur cup runneth over

mais dats a good ting. yeah T!

Z.

ps props again to Bitter and Prather. Excellent job, guys!

11. Default Re: Mr. Bitter Pitches a Lady Cajun No Hitter, Great Scott and the ULWomen fall 8-5

_ Lets not forget Ms Donna Bourgeois from Teurlings. According to Guru she has just recently been clocked at 63 mph. next yearOur cup runneth over

Z.

ps props again to Bitter and Prather. Excellent job, guys! _
    Forgot about her, which will really makes the rest of the league even more nervous. Also, St Thomas Moore centerfielder, Katey Stanford, has committed to UL. So, we get some more batting power, and the league anxiety level rises a little more!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie
    _ Forgot about her, which will really makes the rest of the league even more nervous. Also, St Thomas Moore centerfielder, Katey Stanford, has committed to UL. So, we get some more batting power, and the league anxiety level rises a little more!! _
    Stanford must be coming on Tops or Academic scholarship, I was told this week there are no more scholarships available after the early signing period.

UL Softball Re: Mr. Bitter Pitches a Lady Cajun No Hitter, Great Scott and the ULWomen fall 8-5

Cajuncharlie, I know that Cuevas, Brignac, Bourgeois will be contenders for the circle next year. I might add the name of Sigur who has seen some arm time this year. Nonetheless, it looks like Dynomite for 2008 from 40+ feet out.

14. UL Softball When it comes to the Lady Cajuns, Don't count 'em out yet

Give UL's softball team enough chances, and chances are you'll get burned.

That's exactly what Troy experienced at rowdy Lamson Park on Sunday. And now what's left are two entertaining weeks to end a wacky Sun Belt Conference season.

"When all cylinders are clicking, we have one of the best teams in the country," said Ragin' Cajuns first baseman Lacey Bertucci, who delivered the knockout punch with a grand slam during an 8-0 win in five innings over Troy to close the weekend series.

"We're scary when we're on, and I think we're really getting close to that."
    And in dropping two of three games to UL, the conference-leading Trojans never had a chance Sunday.

The rest of the story

Bob Heist
    bheist@theadvertiser.com

_ Lets not forget Ms Donna Bourgeois from Teurlings. According to Guru she has just recently been clocked at 63 mph. next yearOur cup runneth over

Z.

ps props again to Bitter and Prather. Excellent job, guys! _
    I wonder if they might redshirt Bourgeois. Would probably be a good idea considering the depth we will probably have next year at pitcher.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst . 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 . LastLast

Thread Information