Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL - UofL conflict

Default UL - UofL conflict

Ok so I was watching the Orange Bowl a little yesterday and happened to notice that Louisville's band hats displayed almost the EXACT same logo that we use. This is NOT cool; who used it first and what can be done? We cannot be going around with the same logo, that just looks terrible. Something needs to be done about this seriously.

Photos attatched, comments please.

Attached Images Attached Images    

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: UL - UofL conflict

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife
    Ok so I was watching the Orange Bowl a little yesterday and happened to notice that Louisville's band hats displayed almost the EXACT same logo that we use. This is NOT cool; who used it first and what can be done? We cannot be going around with the same logo, that just looks terrible. Something needs to be done about this seriously.

At the NCAA tourney game in Nashville, they all called themselves U of L and actually chanted that. That is the only time i have ever seen L'ville use that sort of logo and/or title themselves, networks like to use it though, and i have seen that many times.

3. This is a GREAT IDEA Re: UL - UofL conflict

Louisville has had the logo you see on the hats for a long long time and 6 years ago we filched it. It used to be on their football helmets as well, and we stole it for baseball helmets and other items.

That is why I propose a UL logo based off the first ever school logo the SLII logo. My simple design would give UL the look of 100 years of continuity. The school has grown and evolved naturally so why not a logo that easily could have evolved naturally from SLII into UL.

jmo

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Louisville has had the logo you see on the hats for a long long time and 6 years ago we filched it. It used to be on their football helmets as well, and we stole it for baseball helmets and other items.

That is why I propose a UL logo based off the first ever school logo the SLII logo. My simple design would give UL the look of 100 years of continuity. The school has grown and evolved naturally so why not a logo that easily could have evolved naturally from SLII into UL.

jmo
    I think it looks unnatural with the L higher than the U. something isn't right though. Then again, i can't think of anything better right off hand.

5. Default Re: UL - UofL conflict

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    I think it looks unnatural with the L higher than the U. something isn't right though. Then again, i can't think of anything better right off hand.
    Obviously after 6 years we have aquired a taste for stolen goods

Of schools who use the 2 letter logo, in some form or fashion Auburn, Baylor, Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma all have the state letter higher than the U.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL - UofL conflict

We need a set of fonts that are Cajun/French, if there is such a thing!

This list of fonts on Ragin Pagin does not have French/Cajun that I am aware of.

What do you all think, Cajun/French Fonts with the U above the L which is centered!

DaddyCajun

Of schools who use the 2 letter logo, in some form or fashion Auburn, Baylor, Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma all have the state letter higher than the U.
    I guess it is the centered thing that i am thinking of. The others are offset some. Plus its Baylor U., Kansas U., and Colorado U. As for Auburn, I never liked that thing too much, and if proposed to represent my school, i might not like it, but it has been their logo for as long as i can remember, so i just live with it. I'll try to come up with something and put my two sense in sooner or later.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL - UofL conflict

I can assure you that their band's hats are the only gear that use that interlocking UL. All of Louisville's sports team uniforms use the calligraphic L or the cardinal's head logo. I was a little shocked when I first saw those hats, too, but I'm not concerned.

9. Default Re: UL - UofL conflict

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun
    I can assure you that their band's hats are the only gear that use that interlocking UL. All of Louisville's sports team uniforms use the calligraphic L or the cardinal's head logo. I was a little shocked when I first saw those hats, too, but I'm not concerned.
    With your being an outstanding Pride of Acadiana Alum, I am shocked to see you downplay a bands significance. ( just kidding :o )

It was mentioned about the higher L not being a natural look. . .

Picture this; a U and an L standing on a table top and you are looking slightly down on them.

This is the very natural look you would get, what we have now with that dangling Louisville "L" . . . very unatural.

jmo

jmo
    We didn't steal anything.

So, what about MSU, ISU, ASU, and others , they don't seem to get upset that others have the same initials. We need to forget about this name thing and go on and raise some monies for our athletic programs.

Geaux Cajuns.

Interestingly, all of those schools use the State letter first. Although Oklahoma, for instance, is the University of Oklahoma, they go by OU. Same for Kansas (KU), and Colorado (CU). Auburn is Auburn University as is Baylor University.

We could adopt LU instead of UL like OU, KU and CU, but it just doesn't sound right. We do, however, need to distinguish ourselves from Louisville. Even Southern Cal prefers SC to USC and that avoids confusion with the other USC, South Carolina.

While there are lot of UMs out there, most go by their State name, i.e. Michigan, Missouri or Mississippi, which is even better known as Ole Miss.

All I know is that we are getting more and more entrenched as Louisiana Lafayette and ULL nationally and state-wide each year that this continues. We need to do something quickly or forever be known that way outside of Lafayette.

13. Default Re: UL - UofL conflict

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    We didn't steal anything.
    Fair enough.

At the very least we were unimaginitive, did no research, and in the end plagiarized a design that was still in use.

Having said that, the design I really like is the one that some say copies the Miami U.

Fair enough.

At the very least we were unimaginitive, did no research, and in the end plagiarized a design that was still in use.

Having said that, the design I really like is the one that some say copies the Miami U.
    Ok, here is my two sense that I promised. It isn't much, it isn't fancy, but it is simple, and somewhat sophisticated looking, kinda like what the old football uniforms were. In some ways i gues it kinda looks high schoolish, and we might have an issue with using the second L. Maybe we can get around that by saying that its a big "louisiana L" in black and the Lafayette L is in red. what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    Ok, here is my two sense that I promised. It isn't much, it isn't fancy, but it is simple, and somewhat sophisticated looking, kinda like what the old football uniforms were. In some ways i gues it kinda looks high schoolish, and we might have an issue with using the second L. Maybe we can get around that by saying that its a big "louisiana L" in black and the Lafayette L is in red. what do you think?
    I like the subliminal double meaning of your outlined L. Legally the L can stand for the city but no one in the world would see the connection on their own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information