Thread: Hudspeth claims season not lost

1. Default Hudspeth claims season not lost

The world has not ended.

That's the essential message delivered by Ragin' Cajuns coach Mark Hudspeth in the aftermath of UL's 50-27 loss last Tuesday night to Arkansas State, the second straight Sun Belt Conference defeat for the 4-3 Cajuns.

Default Re: Hudspeth claims season not lost

It's not lost. Difficult, but not lost.

I'll be in Monroe next Saturday.

Coach Hud states expectations are higher. Yes, of course they are and that's also why he was given a nice salary boost after one year, to keep the program at a high level. If we wanted low expectations, we would have kept Coach Bustle, nice guy but wasn't getting it done. Also, he mentions the Tulane game where people were not happy with the fact that we could have scored more. Many have written on this forum about issues that were noticeable in the Tulane game and because it was against a bad team, it did not cost us the game. However, the issues are still there, and now it's causing us to lose and seems to be getting worse.

I like Coach Hud and support him completely. I think he is the one to get the program where we want. I also think Coach Hud is starting to get a little more criticism and he's noticing the tone of the fans will not always be of acceptance with just everything he does, just because it's him doing it. He has to realize, and I think he does, that the fans appetite for winning has just begun and even though last year was great and magical, it by itself did not get us to where we want the program to be year in, year out. It is a work in progress, and there is still work to be done, especially to salvage this season.

We will learn alot more about Coach Hud the rest of this year than we did last year. His resume will be greatly enhanced if he can turn this season around.

Hud is not bigger than the program, and was held up as an icon by some too soon.

Last year we did well, but most expected better in Hud's second season.

Let's see how he and the team perform over the next three games.

I personally don't like to see a coach be more critical of his coaches than himself. He picked them.

I think we will see great effort by the players in the next three games.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I think a leader should accept responsibility, because ultimately it's their job. But at some point "taking responsibility", at least publicly (I.e through interviews), becomes coachspeak/trite. If the real problem is that the coaches are underperforming, and there's specific ones that need to shape up, then I think it's fine to say so. Especially when it's so obvious.

I imagine anybody who's had to hire people for a job can say that they haven't always hired the right guy. Mistakes happen/circumstances change.

My guess is that because HUD had previously called his D staff down for certain failures.probably on more than just the UNT occasion we've heard about.is why this last time was so direct and so public. He wanted to make SURE to get the D staff's attention.and that of the players in their support.

From what I read, he did.

Agree. When HC starts naming people to blame, you create an opportunity to split the team. The defensive players love playing for the DC and this whole thing could turn ugly, real easy. Keep the criticism INSIDE the locker room where it belongs and accept the blame for your team's poor performances.

Thread Information