Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Running backs thin

Default Re: Running backs thin

I'd like to see something like the I form that NT was using were they had two tailbacks in but one was at the fullback position . maybe Harris at FB and Reed at TB and just go wild with it.

When the head coach says "maybe I should have played him" that means two things.
    1. We needed him to run the ball, he's bigger and stronger and may have made a difference.
    2. We don't have anyone else to fill that role.

So, we lack that type of running back depth. I didn't mean we don't have bodies, or guys that can run but not that style.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I don't think we have a depth issue. Griffin is available in a pinch. Reed and Harris are solid. And, just because we don't know who is tagged to come in at 3 or 4. doesn't mean they aren't there. We never had to determine who was behind Reed Tuesday night. We thought we could drop back and sling it each down. and although we almost pulled it off. that allowed NT to simplify an already aggressive defense. We picked our poison and NT made us swallow it.
    I disagree, if Harris gets hurt or can't play for whatever reason, we are back in the same spot. We need more RB's that can move a pile, if needed.

I would like to add, that I'm not really talking strategy of the second half. I'm talking about depth at the position, and although Reed may turn out to be a great RB at UL, and I hope he does, he is not at that point now and neither or the others. So, I don't want to come down on our other guys at all, that's not the point. My point is strickly the fact that we did not pursue or maybe couldn't get any RB signed on this past class of commitments and I believe we should not make that mistake again.
    Last edited by ULGrad@HOU; October 18th, 2012 at 06:12 pm. Reason: add a sentence

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    I disagree, if Harris gets hurt or can't play for whatever reason, we are back in the same spot. We need more RB's that can move a pile, if needed.

I would like to add, that I'm not really talking strategy of the second half. I'm talking about depth at the position, and although Reed may turn out to be a great RB at UL, and I hope he does, he is not at that point now and neither or the others. So, I don't want to come down on our other guys at all, that's not the point. My point is strickly the fact that we did not pursue or maybe couldn't get any RB signed on this past class of commitments and I believe we should not make that mistake again.
    I here ya. but I don't know enough about what was defined as needs in last year's recruiting and what RB talent was available. If you have other RBs in the stable, a true freshman isn't really a high impact on this year anyway. We can talk about depth at every position. We could talk about what happens if Broadway goes down and whether we're in any shape to manage that. And I'll point out again. we have Reed and Harris. and I like both. Qyen can be utilized if necessary. and there are other RBs on our roster. We are not "thin at RB". only slightly thinner with Montrel out. We may not be all that effective in the rushing department. but that has a lot to do with some other folks as well and how good our staff is at coaching up a rushing attack.

You can only run one running back at a time. What position do we have right now that if that starter gets hurt, would we not be whining about depth? I just don't see the complaint about RBs.

I hate thin running backs. I like big bruisers like Earl Campbell. Why hasn't Hud gotten us Earl Campbell yet?

6. Default Re: Running backs thin

earl campbell is 57 years old; do you really want him running the football for us?

Quote Originally Posted by fiz View Post
    earl campbell is 57 years old; do you really want him running the football for us?
    Hokie Gajan?

You guys need to keep in mind we had plenty of depth at this position. But we lost our "starting" running back in the first game of the season. I think RB is actually one of our deeper positions. We were just unfortunately starting our 3rd string back for this game. This isn't a long term problem imo.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by I_Bleed_RED View Post
    You guys need to keep in mind we had plenty of depth at this position. But we lost our "starting" running back in the first game of the season. I think RB is actually one of our deeper positions. We were just unfortunately starting our 3rd string back for this game. This isn't a long term problem imo.
    I don't think a lot of people consider RB "depth" an issue. Our depth at every position is in a similar situation. We will see whether our entire team steps up in all respects on Tuesday. I hate to get ahead of the immediate, but the next serious test of repairing what I saw this past Tuesday, will be the next away game.

Unless you're a Top 15 team depth at evey
    position is and can be an issue. Teams like Alabama may have backups that are better than most teams starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I here ya. but I don't know enough about what was defined as needs in last year's recruiting and what RB talent was available. If you have other RBs in the stable, a true freshman isn't really a high impact on this year anyway. We can talk about depth at every position. We could talk about what happens if Broadway goes down and whether we're in any shape to manage that. And I'll point out again. we have Reed and Harris. and I like both. Qyen can be utilized if necessary. and there are other RBs on our roster. We are not "thin at RB". only slightly thinner with Montrel out. We may not be all that effective in the rushing department. but that has a lot to do with some other folks as well and how good our staff is at coaching up a rushing attack.

You can only run one running back at a time. What position do we have right now that if that starter gets hurt, would we not be whining about depth? I just don't see the complaint about RBs.
    J1M, I won't hash it out here on the forum. I'll tell you what I mean when I see you Tuesday. Geaux UL!

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    Unless you're a Top 15 team depth at evey
    position is and can be an issue. Teams like Alabama may have backups that are better than most teams starters.
    True. But, depth at skill positions is more a function of raw talent. Depth at lineman is talent AND coaching. Alabama is great on depth on all accounts. They are unique to a great extent, even in the upper echelon of the SEC. Coaching being just as big a factor as talent.

Regardless of where UL stands, the point is that we are probably, as are most SBC teams, more apt to be weakened by depth on the lines of scrimmage. UL has a healthy starting line, a good QB, good RBs, and great WRs. We aren't in a good excuse state at this time.

We had our best year, last year, with Harris and Griffin producing most of our ground game (better decision making could have Broadway producing just as many positive QB runs as Gautier). Q is a LB. He's better there. Harris and Reed are perfectly adequate for our ground game. If I'm concerned about injury impact and depth, it is in many places greater than RB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information