Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Marlin Extension? After 2 years?

Default Re: UL, Marlin still talking extension

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
    Ok. Here the bottom line from a long time Basketball fan. I just wanna see wins and overall improvement. I wanna know that the coach and the player are committed to program. At the end of this year, then we can all judge. See y'all next Tuesday.
    100% agree. An extension at the end of this year, if positive steps forward are being shown, would be fine. Doing it now makes little sense.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL, Marlin still talking extension

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I haven't read where anybody is throwing a tantrum. Maybe I missed it, but all the opinions I have read seem to have pretty good logic except the ones which say a guy needs two, three, or even more years on his current deal to be able to fetch recruits. I guarantee the last thing a recruit cares about if he likes a coach or a school is how many years that coach has on his present deal. That recruit knows if that coach is coaching at a mid major & has great success, he is more likely to leave than if the coach is doesn't. Whether the coach is fired or leaves for another job, either way he's gone. So someone better come up with real logic as to why mediocrity should be rewarded. Now that I know you J1M, I know you don't usually think that way.
    Like I said, I do not understand the extension at this time. But, it is incorrect to say that recruits are uninterested in a coach's contract timetable. Parents and recruits look at the circumstances surrounding the head coach. If it appears his job could be in jeopardy, they are concerned about it. It can be very disruptive to have an athlete go to a program only to see the coach that recruited them get fired one or two years in. I'm not saying that we should give Marlin an extension under that premise. But to say it has no effect is simply incorrect. Do you think a recruit isn't being told by some other program, "With all of the issues from last year, Marlin may not be around much longer."? I do. Would it not assist Marlin and his staff to say, "Our admin has confidence in this coaching staff and this action proves it". To believe that does not help Marlin and staff recruiting is simply incorrect.

The extension may be a dumb move. I don't have the details. But, if I were the AD and knew more of the details behind the player issues that went on, I might be able to explain it. If our admin has a clear understanding of what transpired, and does not see Marlin as the issue, the extension under the premise I referenced is in play. Intelligent or not at this point. that may be what's behind this.

Why would Scott consider a contract extension? Saying that he promised it doesn't cut it. An AD isn't going to just give a coach an extension because of that. He must have good reasons. I believe it is the vote of confidence, that does effect recruiting, and his belief Marlin can right the basketball program. If it is not that. then Scott Farmer is a knucklehead.

UL Basketball Marlin's new contract

per Tim Buckley's twitter

UL, bball coach Bob Marlin have a new 5-year contract with $125,000 raise to $400,000 annually, new buyout terms.

UL A.D. Scott Farmer on new deal with bball coach Bob Marlin: “a show of faith; both sides agree program is headed in the right direction.”

https://twitter.com/TDARaginCajuns

Default Re: Marlin's new contract

No offense, because I believe Marlin could really bring something special here. But what has he done to earn a 5 year extension? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    No offense, because I believe Marlin could really bring something special here. But what has he done to earn a 5 year extension? Seriously?
    Well, teccchhhhhnically it's not a 5 year extension since he's not in his last year of his previous contract. But I get you

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    per Tim Buckley's twitter

UL, bball coach Bob Marlin have a new 5-year contract with $125,000 raise to $400,000 annually, new buyout terms.

UL A.D. Scott Farmer on new deal with bball coach Bob Marlin: “a show of faith; both sides agree program is headed in the right direction.”

https://twitter.com/TDARaginCajuns
    Good faith on both sides.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Good faith on both sides.
    This agreement proves:
    1. Right or wrong, Farmer does not blame last year's player exodus on Marlin.
    2. Marlin must be receiving some interest from other schools to give him a raise that substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    This agreement proves:
    1. Right or wrong, Farmer does not blame last year's player exodus on Marlin.
    2. Marlin must be receiving some interest from other schools to give him a raise that substantial.
    or 3. They had previous discussions about the extension but mutually agreed to wait because of Hud's extension. A sign of good faith on each part. And if I heard correctly, the additonal monies are tied into meeting certain goals; nothing wrong with that. (and I agree with your #1)

The information being shared in this thread has me thinking positively on the matter

I think they wanted to show CUSA we are in it to compete

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I think they wanted to show CUSA we are in it to compete
    You may be on to something. If we don't have immediate facility improvements, the quickest commitment to athletics you can display is higher coaching salaries. Plus I still think Marlin is the guy to get our program back to the top. Michigan State and NT games reaffirmed my belief.

If the higher salary is tied to winning games UL will probably not have to pay Marlin the extra money for a couple of years.

well the win total has increased every year he's been here

14. UL Football Re: Marlin's new contract

Seems to me this is a second announcement for a contract extension for Marlin this year. I guess the one we heard about earlier this year was a to do list from Farmer. Good to see he got his homework assignment in on time. Now if only the Master Plan could be deployed on time, oh wait that time already is past.

Its been mentioned that this was in the works for a while now, but they re-did Hud's deal first I believe.

Even still, he's won the 2nd most games in conference over the last 2 seasons. Not saying it should happen one way or another, just pointing that out

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information