Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Marlin Extension? After 2 years?

Default Re: UL, Marlin still talking extension

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I wish more than you do that I wouldn't be making the previous posts I have made. As for immediate success, I was stunned with coach HUD's immediate success. It was a testament to the character of the previous staff's recruits that stuck it out through all the pain of change that HUD demanded. That change did not come with 100% commitment though. There were players who did not make the transition, but were able to see that they could not make the transition & bowed out gracefully. There were still others who realized that the HUD way of doing things wasn't for them at later dates & transferred at the end of the first season. Those are no longer there. Still, those dropoffs did not keep the HUD machine form accomplishing many of it's tasks. The HUD machine is now in it's second season & it is becoming apparent that the commitment level by these young men is once again paying BIG dividends to the school as well as to them personally.

I am not nearly as convinced about the Marlin machine. Here is an opportunity for you or others to educate me. I thought Marlin's initial deal was for five years. If this is not right please correct me. I will ask this question & post my rebuttal to any who may answer, then I will get off this topic unless I need to answer any posts who may challenge my thoughts. It is very simple for me. Why reward mediocrity? The only reasonable conclusion to rewarding mediocrity is the production of more mediocrity. Anyone feel free to rebut. Again, for the record, I hope you guys who are firmly entrenched in Coach Marlin's corner are able to tell me how wrong I was while I'm putting dome foam in your cup at a future date.
    It's a much bigger blow when a basketball team loses a few players compared to a football team losing a few players. And if I had to guess, the number of scholarship football players that have left the team over the past 2 years is probably around the same number of basketball players we have lost over the past 2 years. The only difference is a basketball team dresses out 12 guys and a football team dresses out around 75.

I was under the impression that this was his last year. That could be dead wrong but the way this thread sounded it seemed like he was in his last year. If he still has 3 more years then I too see no point in extending him right now. It will take more than 3 years for him to build the program and he will need an extension in the future but I would like to see if he can get this program on the right track over the next year or two before extending him. He still has enough years in his current contract to prove he's taking the program in the right direction. So there's no point in extending him right now assuming he has 3 years left.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    BWK- I'm not super happy with where the program stands at this point but there have been lots of hurdles for all to overcome. He is right at .500, had a bunch of bad apples to get rid of and Robert Lee didn't leave him a whole lot to work with. By letting the guys go (that needed to) he did set himself back but apparently the University supported him and think he made the right decision. Whats the alternative? Keep the bad apples, have them not play worth a darn and let him go after the year? Then we start over once again and try to rebuild.
    Besides JJ and Ramone who were the bad apples? There is no way Marlin was trying to run off all of those players. He then compounded his problem by recruiting no one who would be considered a top flight talent. I do not see anyone here calling for Marlin's head(yet), but it is ludicrous to be talking extension when he has not won and has alientated almost everyone of his own recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Besides JJ and Ramone who were the bad apples? There is no way Marlin was trying to run off all of those players. He then compounded his problem by recruiting no one who would be considered a top flight talent. I do not see anyone here calling for Marlin's head(yet), but it is ludicrous to be talking extension when he has not won and has alientated almost everyone of his own recruits.
    Sorry, I said I wouldn't comment on the subject again, but I can't help it. Did Marlin recieve the dreaded vote of confidence yet? If not, does e really need an extension?

4. UL Basketball Re: UL, Marlin still talking extension

Marlin had a great first year and I think an extension was agreed on, but not the specifics. In the meantime it was put on hold to accommodate Hud. IMO the administration is simply honoring what it told Marlin it would do. At least I hope that is the reason.

Marlin does not look like the type of guy who would think twice about leaving for a slightly better job yet we will reward him for year one, not year two. Crazy I know.

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85
    I've never read anything where Marlin stated Robert Lee is to blame.
    Not to mention, Marlin has actually improved the program from a win/loss perspective. Which IMO, that's doing his job.

Whether he deserves an extension, I don't know. But to say he hasn't improved what he inherited is not true.

All I can say is that last season, Andrews was the only player left over from Coach Lee's tenure. At least I think so. And that being the case, I'm not so sure I want to give Coach Marlin a ton of credit for running off all of these "bad apples". Outside of Andrews, didn't Coach Marlin recruit and sign them? Once again, and I'm not 100% sure that Marlin is working on a current 5 year deal, but if he is, he still has 3 more years left. What in the world has he done to warrant an extension?

The winning streak in 2010 was nice, but wasn't that with quite a few of Lee's players? And outside of that streak, this program has been a disaster. In my opinion, Coach Marlin should be able to have the remaining 3 years left on his deal to get things moving in the right direction. If he does, great! If not, and we extend his current deal, then we are stuck buying out the extended years, or suffering through the length of the extension. I'm all for the "vote of confidence" or "show of support", but an extension at this point, is unwarranted, unnecessary, and could end up biting the University in the behind. Extensions are for achievement, I've seen none so far.

Despite the issues locally, keep in mind that Coach Marlin has secured a commitment from the 2012 Acadiana player of the year. We will see if he signs as promised in November.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Is this the same stupid administration that gave Hudspeth a new contract and hired Garry Brodhead!!!??? Damn those fools!

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Is this the same stupid administration that gave Hudspeth a new contract and hired Garry Brodhead!!!??? Damn those fools!
    I fail to see the correlation. The Hud contract was the no brainer of all no brainers. I did not even know who Broadhead was until I just looked it up. Is he supposed to be some hotshot coaching prospect?
    It now sounds like Farmer foolishly promised Marlin an extension after one .500 season. Since that time Marlin has virtually blown up the program and now has to start over. He may well get this progam turned around, but an extension will not be the deciding factor in his sucess/failure.

10. UL Basketball Re: UL, Marlin still talking extension

The Brodhead hire is still unproven even though it looks very promising. Like the previous Hud post, that was a no brainer, and by the way the team is not blowing up in Hud's second season, like the basketball team did. Jus sayin.

Yes it is. He blew up the losing. Hopefully he will replace it with winning. I have no idea if he needs an extension, but at this point if Scott Farmer thinks he does, I'll just have to go with that. So far Scott has earned our trust.

12. UL Basketball Re: UL, Marlin still talking extension

Well Robert Lee looked pretty good after year one, and he had to live with Cyprian and Jesse scholarship problems, he had some much better classes than Marlin so far, but could never keep um all playing together. So no Marlin is not walking on water, he is melting ice bergs in the polar cap.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I fail to see the correlation. The Hud contract was the no brainer of all no brainers. I did not even know who Broadhead was until I just looked it up. Is he supposed to be some hotshot coaching prospect?
    It now sounds like Farmer foolishly promised Marlin an extension after one .500 season. Since that time Marlin has virtually blown up the program and now has to start over. He may well get this progam turned around, but an extension will not be the deciding factor in his sucess/failure.
    The correlation is that the same admin is involved. And yes, Brodhead, for the WBB program, was a very solid decision.

I have no idea what's behind the extension at this juncture. It appears premature, but I'd have to hear Scott's logic before I through a fit like some on here. I can't say I like what's transpired over this past season, but until we see failure, I'm not saying that Marlin "blew up" the program. I think the player issues set us back. But, I need to see results, positive or negative, on the floor before I write Marlin off.

You cannot say that extensions have no effect on success/failure. Some recruits and their families see it differently. In the midst of a bit of controversy, if the admin does not feel it is a failure directly on the coach, the extension can be a vote of confidence that does assist recruiting, the coach and his staff, and the existing players. Again, I don't quite understand the extension, at this time. But, I would need to know Scott's logic before I through a temper tantrum like some others.

The correlation is that the same admin is involved. And yes, Brodhead, for the WBB program, was a very solid decision.

I have no idea what's behind the extension at this juncture. It appears premature, but I'd have to hear Scott's logic before I through a fit like some on here. I can't say I like what's transpired over this past season, but until we see failure, I'm not saying that Marlin "blew up" the program. I think the player issues set us back. But, I need to see results, positive or negative, on the floor before I write Marlin off.

You cannot say that extensions have no effect on success/failure. Some recruits and their families see it differently. In the midst of a bit of controversy, if the admin does not feel it is a failure directly on the coach, the extension can be a vote of confidence that does assist recruiting, the coach and his staff, and the existing players. Again, I don't quite understand the extension, at this time. But, I would need to know Scott's logic before I through a temper tantrum like some others.
    I haven't read where anybody is throwing a tantrum. Maybe I missed it, but all the opinions I have read seem to have pretty good logic except the ones which say a guy needs two, three, or even more years on his current deal to be able to fetch recruits. I guarantee the last thing a recruit cares about if he likes a coach or a school is how many years that coach has on his present deal. That recruit knows if that coach is coaching at a mid major & has great success, he is more likely to leave than if the coach is doesn't. Whether the coach is fired or leaves for another job, either way he's gone. So someone better come up with real logic as to why mediocrity should be rewarded. Now that I know you J1M, I know you don't usually think that way.

Ok. Here the bottom line from a long time Basketball fan. I just wanna see wins and overall improvement. I wanna know that the coach and the player are committed to program. At the end of this year, then we can all judge. See y'all next Tuesday.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information