Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Marlin Extension? After 2 years?

Default Re: UL, Marlin still talking extension

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    The man is 1 game below .500 with players that hated him.

Can't wait till he gets committed guys in the program.
    Amen

In thirteen years as a Division I head coach prior to this past season, Bob Marlin NEVER had issues with players like the problems he had last year.

Track record tells me the coach was not the problem.

Not suggesting he handled every single thing properly.but if you're blaming him for all this, your way up a wrong tree on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    In thirteen years as a Division I head coach prior to this past season, Bob Marlin NEVER had issues with players like the problems he had last year.

Not suggesting he handled every single thing properly.but if you're blaming him for all this, your way up a wrong tree on this one.

Thanks Jay, this board needs to get checked every now and then. Look these AAU kids are babyfied and when they meet stern coaches like Marlin instead of them sucking up their pride they just run to another school. I think once marlin starts getting the kids that he wants we will be ok.

I agree with this, but like I said further up, what has happened that warrants an extension at this point?

How about the fact he had the balls to do the right thing? I would have given him the extension the day he stepped up. To answer your question further.

When he made the decisions he did, we knew he was setting back his timetable. By giving him the extension you show you support those decisions as well and will not count a bad year because of these decisions against him. That will help the recruiting backlash and make a statement that the school believes it hired the right guy.

6. UL Basketball Re: UL, Marlin still talking extension

J Bird I am going to make a prediction. If Marlin is here for this season and three more, it will be because he has not had great success and signed another extension. No if he has great success he will leave, and if he is still here we, UL, will be laboring under this current bad extension. I do not see him leaving.

I see zero benefit to UL with this extension, and lots of benefit to Marlin.

Well, if he winds up leaving it will be because he turned the program around well enough to be attractive to other schools.

UL doesn't benefit from that?

8. UL Basketball Re: UL, Marlin still talking extension

From what I hear, it will not take much success for him to jump, so NO, I do not think that is good for UL. We need a coach committed to UL for a few years at least. Hey if he gets us to the lower tier NIT before leaving I will consider my prediction wrong. Now the CIT, no way.

Express.don't you think it will take good success for someone to hire him???

If he is committed to UL, meet the university in good faith and finish out your contract. As a coach you went .500, not .750 or even .600! You win or even win the West I am all for an extension. Lets take our emotions out and look at the big picture. Because of your decisions last season, can you win? We will see.

How about the fact he had the balls to do the right thing? I would have given him the extension the day he stepped up. To answer your question further.

When he made the decisions he did, we knew he was setting back his timetable. By giving him the extension you show you support those decisions as well and will not count a bad year because of these decisions against him. That will help the recruiting backlash and make a statement that the school believes it hired the right guy.
    This is a great stance if Marlin had run off just JJ and Ramone. No way he wanted to lose all of those players. Who's fault is it? I think the coach at least gets some of the blame. Marlin has several years on his contract. That should be sufficient to right the ship. No one should get an extention for running off players you were responsible for recruiting.

I'm good with extending Marlin's contract. He's made mistakes, but I think he's a good solid coach. I want to see more of what he can do, with the right type of players that can handle his style of coaching, I think we can have a great team. I still see huge potential. The man can coach, I have no doubt, he's proven that part. If he has learned what it takes to get players that can feel comfortable in his system and he learned from his mistakes of the past on how to handle the situations that come up, then the results on the court will be what we all want, a winning team. Mr. Farmer should know if Coach Marlin wants to be there or not. I have no reason not to trust his judgement at this point, and if he and Dr. Savoie think Coach Marlin deserves a new contract then I'm in support of it.

As long as he isn't getting some huge raise or something, I'm fine with an extension. He made the right choice cutting ties with certain people. But it will set us back a bit. Why not give him some extra years? If we didn't, then we'd be punishing him for doing the right (and tough) thing. He does not deserve a big raise but he does deserve a few extra years. I do feel he will leave the second a better school comes calling but I dont see a better school calling unless we have some sustained success for a few years.

Can anyone list the quality losses as well as ONE quality win so far in his tenure?

We don't even have a quality schedule to get excited about. If you are on the let's keep it at under 2K crowd so you can drive in five minutes before the start of a horrically boring contest against another nobody team & be beck home within five minutes of most likely losing said contest ( check 30-31), then this is your man for sure. At elast give him another season to prove whether he is even worth keeping much less extending another season, much less more than that.

So his previous track record indicates he will make a 180 degree turnaround with the program this season? Or just how long is this magical turnaround supposed to take?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information