Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Vermilion's coverage

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KatiedlRTheVerm View Post
    We are required to refer to our school as "UL-Lafayette" on first reference, then "UL" throughout the rest of the article. We may also first address them as "Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns," as we often do.

I do not know, but will speak with our distributing manager and will let you know. Is there any place in particular that you'd like to see it? I will try to make that happen.
    That may apply to the larger paper as a whole, not individual stories.

I don't have the exact facts in front of me but there was a case a few years back where the school President was at odds with the editor over controlling content and it ended up that the Vermilion was a separate entity and not subject to the whims of higher ups.

I looked for it the other day and gave up, when I can get to Dupre' again I will give it a go.

Default Re: The Vermilion's coverage

Katie D on Ragin Pagin! Oh my.

3. Default Re: The Vermilion's coverage

We follow (more or less) the school's preferred use of our name (UL Lafayette) in the media.

4. Default Re: The Vermilion's coverage

You know it, Nate the Great!

We follow (more or less) the school's preferred use of our name (UL Lafayette) in the media.
    Boo!

When talking about the school, yes UL Lafayette.

When talking about the teams, Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns.

7. Default Re: The Vermilion's coverage

You are not reporting on the "school" per se, you are the sports editor and you have never seen (UL Lafayette) as preferred use when it comes to Athletics.

While the University has constraints in official correspondence like letterheads and such, it is not hard to discover the schools "preferred use" such as when President Savoie was inaugurated the theme was "We Are Louisiana" Link

Who at the school is sending out the message that UL Lafayette is their preferred name? Thousands and thousands of students and alumni want to know!

9. Default Re: The Vermilion's coverage

Right on. I hear the argument. I'll have to discuss it with fellow editors, but a change could be brewing.

Thanks for the feedback.

10. Default Re: The Vermilion's coverage

Right on. I hear the argument. I'll have to discuss it with fellow editors, but a change could be brewing.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Thank you, and I do like the coverage.

So much better than a just a few years ago (7) when a Vermilion beat writer took a press release from the UL Sports Information Dept and put her name on it. Yikes.

You sure stay busy Katie. Enjoy your work on the Friday night HS postgame show.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonMVerret View Post
    Yes.
    Im Z's Pop. Y'all come by the Oak Tree for some grub SaturdayMiss katie D can come too.

Old Man Z

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    Fwiw, when Nick Fontenot was editor, UL was used.
    thats teriffic that makes him a weasel that used UL.

Z

14. Default Re: The Vermilion's coverage

In the end Nick was a good editor.

His club foot start was hard to live down.

Actually our name is the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. It would be preferable to use that as a first reference over UL Lafayette. As Turbine has pointed out here many times when you use UL Lafayette people tend to see and remember Lafayette and incorrectly refer to us that way. Use the full name as the first reference and then UL later and it will help eliminate the Lafayette confusion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information