Six Lafayette Parish schools could soon see major facelifts. The plans, which will be presented at tomorrow's school board meeting are in response to the State Bond Commission's approval of $30-million in bonds. There are six schools listed in the proposal for renovations and expansions: Green T. Lindon Elementary, Youngsville Middle, Lafayette High, Northside High, L.J. Alleman Middle, and Thibodeaux Tech.

Green T. Lindon Elementay principal Gina Cahee says her school is going through serious growing pains. As more students register, she's forced to add portable classrooms because there aren't enough classrooms in the main building. With about 30 portable classrooms already, there isn't space on campus to put any more.

"At this point we have more portable buildings than actual classrooms in the main building," said Cahee.

Cahee says the portable classrooms are smaller and students are sitting closer together. She says it's hard for students and teachers to move around the classroom.

"Due to overcrowding, if we have more kids come and register, we'd really be in a bind because I don't have one classroom to house that teacher and students," said Cahee.

The elementary school was built to hold about 400 students, but now there are more than 800 students. Enrollment is expected to increase in the area, as Youngsville continues to grow.

"One of the big reasons Youngsville is growing is because of our fine schools," said Youngsville Mayor Wilson Viator.

Viator says the population grew 40-percent since the last census. He says Youngsville is one of the fastest growing cities in the parish, and the city is trying to keep up.

"As far as my end goes, with water, sewage, roads we've done a good job, but when it comes to the schools it's out of my hands. I rely on our school board member," added Viator.

Permalink| Comments