Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread: Favorite Beer.

Default Favorite Beer.

Last night my cousin came over and I had a six pack of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat because a friend of mine who had it said it was pretty good, so we drank a bit and watched Jay Cutler be.Jay Cutler. That got me thinking this morning that what this board needs is a favorite beer thread on top of the best whiskey/bourbon and best burger thread. I'm not a huge drinker, only socially and when I am peer pressured into it. I'm a very open minded beer drinker. I will try anything. If you urinate in a bottle, slap a weird foreign label on it, and let it chill in the fridge.I'm more than likely to try it. Here are my top 5 in no particular order.

1. Stella Artois.it's a good beer to get on tap. It's sweet with a bitter kick. In Europe this is their Budweiser. But here it is a welcome departure from the Domestic mass produced swill from the Busch Family.

2. Yuengling Traditional.A great amber beer that is hard as hell to get around here. My buddy is able to get this stuff once a year and it's a great time when he gets it. If anyone knows how to get some around here let me know.

3. Blue Moon Belgian Pale Ale.It's a very, very good beer. I love to dip my nose into the bottle and get a whiff of the beer before I drink it. I love the smell. Blue Moon has a great smell. Great taste and even better with a slice of Orange.

4. Lobotomy Bock.One of my Albertson's Beer Cooler raids discovered this gem. This is a very good tasting hammer of a beer. 10.5% alcohol. Gets on top of you fast. This is another hard to find beer.

5. Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat.If you can imagine taking a beer and pouring it over a bowl of Fruity Pebbles.this is it. Sound awful? It's not. It's great. Everything about it is great. Except for the morning after.

Default Re: Favorite Beer.

New Belgium Brewing's Fat Tirebut then I'm a bike geek

Parish Brewing in Broussard makes some good stuff. And at least two of the guys are UL grads

http://parishbeer.com/home.html

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

BRING BACK ZIMA!!!

oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by stpacronym View Post
    New Belgium Brewing's Fat Tirebut then I'm a bike geek
    Where is a good place to find this one?

Quote Originally Posted by srob View Post
    Parish Brewing in Broussard makes some good stuff. And at least two of the guys are UL grads

http://parishbeer.com/home.html
    So the Canebrake at Walk On's is made by these guys? Might have to try it out next time I go.

St. Arnold's Amber

8. Default Re: Favorite Beer.

Root . . . for the fan in ya.

"So the Canebrake at Walk On's is made by these guys? Might have to try it out next time I go. "

Yep!

Abita Amber
    Abita Strawberry
    Coors Light

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Where is a good place to find this one?
    Unfortunately it isn't sold here. You can find it in texas.

Another good local beer would be LA 31's Boucanee. If you like dark beer.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    2. Yuengling Traditional.A great amber beer that is hard as hell to get around here. My buddy is able to get this stuff once a year and it's a great time when he gets it. If anyone knows how to get some around here let me know.
    Great thread to start.

As far as I know, the furthest west that Yuengling is available commercially is Memphis. Although the closest location that you can buy it is the first Alabama exit on I-10 East (Grand Bay, AL). Most gas stations and stores off of this exit have Yuengling Traditional. One grocery store about 1.5 miles south of the interstate has Traditional, Light, and Black & Tan (which is fantastic BTW).

Yuengling has two breweries. The original one in Pottsville, PA and a relatively new one in Tampa. Due to their limited brewing capacity and the popularity of the beer, they are stretched pretty thin and are limited to mostly the Eastern Time Zone.

My suggestion, anytime you're heading east past Mississippi make sure you buy a couple of cases on your way home. Also, if you have family that may be heading out to Florida for vacation, give them some money to pick some up for you on their return trip. My sister offered to do this for me a while back.

The Yuengling FAQ page linked below actually does a pretty decent job of explaining the beer's limited availability.

http://www.yuengling.com/faq/

Fat Tire, Yuengling Black and Tan, and Newcastle. Fat Tire for when I go west, Yuengling when I go east, and Newcastle when the first 2 are not available.

Nola's Brown Ale is really good. You can get it in a mini keg at Albertsons. I'm partial to Belgian wheats and Canadian lagers.

As far as dark brews I also enjoy Ziegenbock. Despite what their website says, the beer is not limited to Texas. I have found places in Lafayette that carry it.

Also the same company that makes Ziegenbock (ICS) also make a good gluten-free amber called Redbridge.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread Information