Page 39 of 98 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Football

Default Re: cox

Originally posted by UL_Cajuns
    Called Cox and you can order the ESPN gameday, five games included, UL vs. USC included for 14.99

Hell yea
    UL_Cajuns you are my hero, is digital cable required?

2. UL Football Cajuns concern South Carolina’s Holtz

LOUISIANA La. — Lou Holtz has earned a reputation as a doom-and-gloom coach in stops at North Carolina State, Arkansas, Notre Dame and now South Carolina.

If there’s something to fret about before a game, Holtz has it covered.

Whether it’s gamesmanship or a character trait, that worrisome demeanor is a Holtz trademark.

The Gamecocks are heavy favorites for Saturday’s season opener against Louisiana — more than 30 points by some estimations — yet Holtz knows the Ragin’ Cajuns of coach Rickey Bustle have their plusses.

“They blocked seven kicks last year,” Holtz said Wednesday of the Cajuns, who used a pair of blocked punts to shake Arkansas in a 24-17 near-miss in 2002.

“They also have a 26-year-old deep snapper (Justin Venable, who’s actually 23). I have a great deal of admiration for that young man, for the way he’s still playing after all the injuries he’s had.

“They have their punter (Grant Autrey) and place kicker (Sean Comiskey) back. Their place kicker is excellent. He made a 51-yard field goal, and only had two misses under 40 yards last year.

“Their special teams are a concern in this game.”

Not surprisingly, Holtz isn’t as impressed with his own kicking game.

Neither Daniel Weaver nor Stephen Stellfox has gained an edge at place kicker, while Josh Brown is back at punter.

“Our place kicker is completely untested,” Holtz said. “We’ve been very inconsistent on both field goals and extra points.”

Also, Holtz said, “we don’t block many punts, and our return men are new.”

Of course, the Gamecocks’ cupboard is far from bare.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

3. UL Football Bustle looks foward to homecoming

SOUTH CAROLINA - Rickey Bustle has seen college football's best, having tutored Michael Vick as Virginia Tech's offensive coordinator.

He has seen the sport's worst, like in 1978 when as a Clemson graduate assistant he was at Jacksonville's Gator Bowl when Woody Hayes' glorious Ohio State coaching career ended when he punched a Clemson linebacker.

These days, the Clemson graduate and former South Carolina assistant is seeing a little bit of both.

The 50-year-old Bustle begins his second season as Louisiana's head coach when the Ragin' Cajuns play USC at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday.

The Sun Belt Conference program Bustle inherited ranks among the worst in Division I-A, having gone 3-9 in his first season. But, after 25 seasons as an assistant coach for seven different teams, the former Summerville High School quarterback is enjoying having a team of his own to run.

"It's a program that was down and we're doing a lot of great things," Bustle said. "I spoke around 70 times last year at different places in Louisiana. People are buying season tickets again. Just getting the people back out is a big part of your job."

It's a job Bustle had plenty of experience before jumping into.

The rest of the storyThe State.com
    By STEVE WISEMAN
    Staff Writer

"I spoke around 70 times last year at different places in Louisiana. People are buying season tickets again. Just getting the people back out is a big part of your job."
    "He's got a challenging job because that program got really run down," McKissick said. "Playing against Division I schools, you're not going to bring it back up in one year. But he has the knowledge and perseverance to stick with it and get it done."

Geaux Caoch Bustle!

UL Football Injury Report?

Besides Jamal Smith and Ken Haynes,are their any other players that are hurt and unable to play Saturday? I noticed that at Rover Saftey ragincajuns.com now list the starter as James Roberts (a transfer) and the backup as true freshman Jarrett Jones. Is C.C. Brown hurt or in the doghouse? He was listed as Smith's backup at rover.

6. Default Goodluck

I just wanted to wish all UL fans goodlook in the game with USC on Saturday.

7. Default

Congratulations Crawfish!!

Winner of University of Louisiana/KPEL Ultimate Cajun Fan contest.

What road game are you going on?

Do you remember the questions?

8. Default

Thanks I can't wait till Saturday night.

9. Default Re: Goodluck

Originally posted by Gamecockfan79
    I just wanted to wish all UL fans goodlook in the game with USC on Saturday.
    Thanks and likewise.

I know coach Bustle is looking forward to the game. It must be very nostalgic for him.

Crawfish,

Man, Congrats! We are still 'boys' right? We go way back! Hook me up!

11. Default

Swampfox...

Is that the same Alvin Dark who was a star for the NY Giants and later played a bit and managed the SF Giants?

I don't think they are taking us lightly.

This is Upsetting

I say screw the Gamecocks , I have no reason to like them or respect them. This is football .Our cajuns are going to go up there to and win . I have no mercy for our opponents b/c i know they are trying to beat us just like we are trying to beat them. Now mabye after the game I will feel different towards them but as of this week they are on my $h*! list ......
    Go cajuns......

14. UL Football

I just called Cox, digital cable is required. They are currently running a special. The first 6 months are $9.99 per month and the upgrade to digital is free.

Does anyone know if Pete's or any other local establishment will have the game?

15. Default

Originally posted by TheScout307
    I say screw the Gamecocks , I have no reason to like them or respect them. This is football .Our cajuns are going to go up there to and win .
    OK, now the gloves come off Come on up here, get your paycheck and go home.

45-10 USC

Page 39 of 98 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 ... LastLast

Thread Information