Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Football

1. Default

I can't add much to waht Crawfish stated except I am a little less optimistic on the win front.

I expect 3
    Would be happy with 4
    Joyous with 5
    Giddy with 6 or 7
    Hospitalized with 8 or more.

Last years team was real experienced, but under a new system struggled with continuity.

This years team will have little experience - save the few Crawfish mentioned - but I expect much more continuity, especially if the Juco group can somehow jell.

Originally posted by Turbine
    I expect 3
    Would be happy with 4
    Joyous with 5
    Giddy with 6 or 7
    Hospitalized with 8 or more.
    I agree Turbine, let me add to Don's comments that I expect Stamps to have a great year but I also think we will see 1 or 2 of the running backs seperate themselves from the rest (I predict Harrison and Cones)and have really good seasons. I think our O-line and D-line will be much better than most people expect and agree with Don that the d-backfield could be a problem (much depends on the JC transfers). Babb is suppose to be the starting QB and what I would like to see from him is steady improvement each week and good judgement. Even though he is a freshman, he is a Redshirt Freshman who has had a year to learn the system, get bigger and stronger and had a year to watch from the sideline and learn. I think he too will be better than expected. All that said, this is still a very young team in only it's 2nd year under this system. Good things will come

UL Football

I really hope for 4-6 wins. That will be a visable sign of improvement. I think those of us who follow the program as closely as you and I do, will see improvement regardless of the win-loss record. Casual fans need to see some scoreboard wins, But I agree this is a very young team. I am hopeful that the JC transfers make a huge impact on the team, that is kind of the wild card. I hope your assessment of the running back situation is correct. So far, I have seen a bunch of guys who are in excellent shape, are fairly quick(to the line), and work hard. I have not seen the kind of break away speed I would like to see in at least one of our tailbacks. If the o-line can come together and give these guys some nice holes, they will be effective and who know, maybe a great runner will emerge. Man I can't wait until the fall pratices begin. The anticipation is starting to build for me. Look forward to seeing you at practices again Mr. fox.

Originally posted by Crawfish
    The anticipation is starting to build for me. Look forward to seeing you at practices again Mr. fox.
    I am ready for football NOW, will be tough to wait. Look forward to seeing you and Zee at the practices also.

5. Default How many years til the New Orleans Bowl?

How long til the Cajuns make it to the big one in the Big Easy?

6. UL Football Womens Clinic + MEN: Bustle to serve as guest chef at Gentry’s

LOUISIANA La. — Participants in Louisiana head coach Rickey Bustle’s upcoming Women’s Football Clinic will get an early preview of clinic activities.

Bustle will be serving as guest chef at Gentry’s on Wednesday, July 9, beginning at 6:30 p.m., and participants are invited to bring spouses or dates and have dinner with Bustle and his staff.

“Since the clinic’s for women only,” Bustle said, “we wanted to have the husbands and boyfriends have something to take part in. We hope a lot of our fans will come out, and the women that haven’t already signed up for the clinic will do that after the dinner.”

The second annual Women’s Football Clinic is scheduled for Saturday, July 19. More information on the clinic is available by calling Louisiana's football office at (337) 482-6318.

Link to the story

7. UL Football

Another running back who might make some noise is Dwight Lindon. He played some last season so he has some experience. I saw him play his senior year at Comeaux & he was awesome. I don't know his weight & height now. He wasn't too big in high school but I'm sure he has beefed up some the last couple of years.

GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!

Dwight is currently listed as number 1 on the depth chart. IMO, a lot of this is based on the fact that he is a very hard worker and is impeccable shape. You are correct that he is a bit on the small side. He was very quick to the line, but does not seem to have break away speed. At times last season he was used as a receiver out of the back field, and was quite effective in that role. I do not however expect him to be used in the fullback position this season. Of course this is all speculation.

9. UL Football

Crawfish, thanks for the info.

UL Football According to Coach Gibson

I called into Bird's Eye View the other day and asked Coach Gibson who his starting 5 would be, who was the leader on the O-line and what impact if any would the incoming freshman have. He said as of today (which was a few days ago) his starting 5 was

LT #67 Corey Glover So. 6-4 295
    LG #62 Greg Hodges Jr. 6-2 305
    OC #69 Ronnie Harvey Jr. 6-1 285
    RG #77 Demetrios Brooks Jr. 6-3 290
    RT #72 Brandon Cox Fr. 6-8 295

average height = 6-3 1/2
    average weight = 294

The leader of this group according to Coach Gibson is Jr. LG Greg Hodges. True freshman Brandon Cox is expected to start at RT and Gibson hopes to be able to redshirt incoming freshman Will Chance and Zach Leger. It should be noted for those that don't remember, Cox is a true freshman but did sit out a year after high school to get his test scores up, so really (age wise) he would be a sophomore compared to Leger and Chance.

That was you? Good call, it makes even more sense with your post. Thanks

12. UL Football Ross is Boss ( Phil Steele says so )

It will be great to get Ross Brupbacher back as Linebacker.

Ross is ranked #43 in the nation by Phil Steele in his top 60 list for the nations best Linbackers.

Phil Steele's college football magazine ranks #1 over the last 5 years in picking the rank of teams. proof

Geaux Phil Steele

13. Default

I wonder how those weights rank historically.

Right now it seems to be a good combination, their strength will determine if they will be good or not.

14. UL Football More stuff from Phil Steels Preseason Mag

The world according to Phil . . .

Louisiana's special team ratings (as a unit) came in as the 45th best in the country for 2002.

Not counting the Juco transfers Louisiana had the 3rd best reruiting 2003 class in the SunBelt. Devin Williams is the top ranked quarterback recruited to the SunBelt and ranks 41st in the country.

Louisiana will finish 5th because they lost 39.3% of their letterman. Most in the conference. UL lost 24 letterman and return just 37. Only 11 starters are returning least in conference.

In terms of class status (2002) Louisiana had the 8th oldest preseason team in the country. Logically UL would be one of the youngest this year, but with the return of Ross Brupacker and Justin Venable, and the Juco transfers, UL ranks 12th in the country in terms of experience ratings. (this rating doesn't not take into consideration if they have ever played together.)

Good news 19 of the projected starters are upper classmen and 5 of the conference games are at home.

PRESEASON SUNBELT
    1st Team
    WR: Fred Stamps
    DL: Derace James

2nd Team
    LB: Ross Brupacker
    CB: Ricky Thomas

3rd Team
    TE: Josh Jeorge

Phil has a number I could not find locally. UL sold 4500 season tickets in 2002. This was double what was sold in 2001.

Ragin' Cajuns

"Phil has a number I could not find locally. UL sold 4500 season tickets in 2002. This was double what was sold in 2001."

It'd be kind of nice if we could maybe TRIPLE that amount this season!!!!

Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 . LastLast

Thread Information