Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Football

Default Re: So little faith

Originally posted by the big ragoo
    That's the schedule. If you don't believe it, that's fine. You think maybe the big ragoo is pulling your leg or something. You're a "Doubting Thomas, proofs in the pudding, don't count your chickens until they hatch" kinda guy. The big ragoo can respect that. The big ragoo doesn't want to be known as a "I told you so" type guy, so I'll try to give you another explanation. If this doesn't work, we'll just have to sit back until they release the schedule.

It will be reshuffled again next year to ensure that the conference games work out correctly. That could mean that we play Idaho at home 3 years in a row, or go to Middle Tennessee 3 years in a row. It doesn't make sense, but that's what has to happen when you add another member to the conference with no 2-3 year plan or notification. Most teams already have nonconference games ($$$$$$$) set up that they cannot get out of, so you have to work around it. We've got contracts with Houston, Minnesota, Oklahoma State and Southern Miss that we can't get out of due to financial reasons. Everyone in our conference is faced with the same thing. Florida International will probably be in our conference in 2 years anyway.

Ciao
    I do understand what you're saying, it just seemed to come out of left field. I didn't mean anything personal by what I said. I also understand that FIU wants to get their football team into the Conference eventually, but it's my understanding that it will be at least another 3-5 years before they can even move up to 1-A status. It's also my understanding, from what I've read on this and other related boards, that UL, among other current Sun Belt teams, may not even stay in the Conference once other conferences begin re-aligning in and around 2005. It WILL be nice to have six home games even if one of them is against a 1-AA team!!

2. Default Re: Re: So little faith

Originally posted by NOCajun
    It WILL be nice to have six home games even if one of them is against a 1-AA team!!
    It sure will. Can we look forward to one or more appearances by the Alumni Band?

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Re: Re: So little faith

Originally posted by Turbine
    Can we look forward to one or more appearances by the Alumni Band?
    At Homecoming, like always!!!!

Ragin' Cajuns The 2003 schedule is now posted.

.on the ragincajuns.com Atheltics website. Good call Ragoo!!

5. Default Cajuns have six home games on 2003 football schedule

Advertiser January 12, 2003

LAFAYETTE - Six home games highlight Louisiana's 2003 football schedule announced Saturday, and five of them will mean something in the Sun Belt Conference football race.

The Ragin' Cajuns, in their second year under head coach Rickey Bustle, will host UL Monroe, New Mexico State and Idaho as league foes. Two other home games, against Louisiana Tech and Florida International, will count in the Sun Belt standings as designated conference games.

Louisiana will not play conference schools Arkansas State and new league member Utah State, but the two designated conference games will give the Cajuns seven league outings.

The 12-game schedule, permitted once again in 2003 under NCAA rules, begins Aug. 30 with a first-ever meeting with South Carolina in Columbia, S.C., not far from Bustle's home town of Summerville, S.C. Bustle was offensive coordinator and quarterback coach for the Gamecocks in 1994 in between his stints at Virginia Tech.

Tech provides the opposition for the home opener Sept. 6, renewing a rivalry suspended in 2000, in the third annual Herbert Heymann Football Classic. In addition to the conference and designated conference games, the Cajuns will host Houston on Sept. 13 in the other Cajun Field outing.

Other than the designated game with Tech, Sun Belt play opens Sept. 27 when the Cajuns visit two-time league champion and New Orleans Bowl representative North Texas. The league champion will again represent the Sun Belt in the New Orleans Bowl.

The rest of the story

6. Default UL to open 2003 football campaign at South Carolina

Advocate

LAFAYETTE -- Louisiana will play a 12-game schedule for the second straight year and third time in the football program's 95 years.

Under current NCAA rules, UL will not be able play a 12-game regular season schedule again until the year 2008.

The Cajuns will host six games for the first time since 1997, playing five of the six as Sun Belt Conference games.

The Cajuns do not play conference schools Arkansas State and Utah State, but will designate non-conference games against Louisiana Tech and Florida International to count toward SBC standings.

The 2003 campaign begins at South Carolina.

The season's first home game will follow when Louisiana Tech travels to Louisiana on Sept. 6 for the third annual Herbert Heymann Football Classic.

SBC play officially begins on Sept. 27, when UL visits 2001 and 2002 conference champion North Texas. New Mexico State comes to "The Swamp" on Oct. 18 for the school's 58th homecoming.

Twelve weeks after it begins, the 2003 regular season will end, without an open week, on Nov. 15 at Middle Tennessee.

The rest of the story

UL Football

Hey Ragoo how is the UL secondary going to look, I know it is going to be young. Their is only going to be one Sr in the group. Who will be the Safety and Rover now with the players to chose from like Thomas, Jamal Smith, David Prater, Pat Lamy, Wes Simon. Could some of these players be making position changes to better the team. I did see that you had wrote about Tyler Noman and from a conversation I overheard Norman and David Prater are suppose to be a big suprise to the Media an Fans this spring. Does anyone know where Norman is from and what he is classified on the field.

8. UL Football Secondary

Our secondary will only have 2 seniors, Pat Lamy and Jamal Smith. Guys are going to be tried everywhere back there.

Rover-Jamal Smith, returning starter; one of the JUCO guys will be tried here as well, along with Lamy, Prater, and some walk-ons; possibly Felders too

Whip-Jamal Sanders, returning starter; Tyler Norman (redshirt soph from Western Carolina) will push for playing time; Lamy or Prater could end up playing some here as well

Free Safety-Pat Lamy, David Prater, and Wes Simon; all will see time during the Spring; depending on how corner works out, Fenton or Felders could get work here as well

Corners-mostly JUCO players and Jerrell Carter; Fenton will work here until a JUCO guy can bump him to Free

I know that's pretty murky, but we've got a lot of guys that can play a lot of positions, which is good for depth and understanding the overall concept of the defense. In our 8 man front, the rover's got to be able to cover almost like a corner and be aggressive. The whip has got to be able to fill like a linebacker and drop back into coverage like a Free Safety. My understanding is that most of the JUCO DBs are corners. If they can play, Fenton and Felders will be freed up to play rover, whip or Free safety.

9. Default

Originally posted by ISUCajunfan
    What type of defense will the Cajuns run next year?
    With the official relase of the info that Ross Brupbacher is coming back, the linebacker core just took a huge jump in quality and experience.

10. Default Re: Secondary

Originally posted by the big ragoo
    I know that's pretty murky, but we've got a lot of guys that can play a lot of positions, which is good for depth and understanding the overall concept of the defense. In our 8 man front, the rover's got to be able to cover almost like a corner and be aggressive.
    Thanks, ragoo, what can you tell me about Michael Zaterain? In the practices I attended it seemed he was used by more than one coach for their practice squad.

I was told that his role was rover.

11. UL Football Zatarain

Zatarain is a rover. I think he might have had shoulder surgery after the season. Not 100% sure on that though.

UL Football Side note to our 2003 schedule

We share 3 common opponents with that school to the east

ULM travels to Baton Rouge on 8/30 and to Lafayette on 10/11

South Carolina, UL travels to Columbia on 8/30 and LSU goes there on 10/18

Louisiana Tech travels to Lafayette on 9/6 and to Baton Rouge on 11/1

:confused:

Helo everyone first post here. I like this web site and have been visiting every morning bafore work for the past 3 three weeks. I like that little side note there. The Cajuns can gage improvement with that little sidenote the Swampfox dug up. I find it interesting that the teams that go to that little school to the east there, come to ULL. And both ULL and that little school to the easst both travel to USC. So now I see it is 5am and the CrewChief must go.

Ragin' Cajuns

It will be great when the Cajuns go 3-0 in these games, while the Tiggers go 1-2, maybe 2-1.

UL Football UL Football Signing Day Reception

From CajunFun.com
    Wednesday, February 5--5:00P. Lafayette. Cajundome Convention Center, CajunDome Blvd. Coach Rickey Bustle and UL Athletics will host a reception on National Signing Day, for all High School and Junior College players who have committed to the Ragin' Cajuns. At the reception, the Athletic Department will also recognize the United Louisiana Cajuns for their volunteer efforts in painting & cleaning Cajun Field.

I hope as many of us as possible get out and show these recruits they made the right choice. I'll be there (for those who don't know me I'll be the short, balding, graying hair & goatee guy with a big smile on my face) We are headed in the right direction.

Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread Information