Page 86 of 98 FirstFirst . 76 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 96 . LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1465

Thread: The Book: 2003 Football

Default 48-10 UL is D1

The UL victory over FIU proves that UL does not belong in D1AA. UL scored the most all year and allowed the fewest, now if that doesn't prove my point nothing does.

Default Re: Cajuns Win.

Originally posted by LativanCajun
    Great job seniors.
    I thought having a total eclipse on Senior night was something special. Something money couldn't buy.

This is so COOL

Great game for the Cajuns

Nice finish for the Seniors

Interesting Lunar Eclipse

The band was awsome in the stands & halftime

The game was well promoted & attended

A lot of things were done right tonight!!

This is so COOL

The difference isBustle's team plays a 1-AA and wins 43 to 10 and it could have been a larger margin.

The previous coach loses to 1-AA North Alabama and we were lucky that it was close.

We are moving in the right direction.

5. UL Football Cajuns’ block party

Touchdown return mirrors opener at South Carolina

LOUISIANA La. — One of the deciding plays in Louisiana’s 43-10 win over Florida International Saturday looked like an instant replay, or maybe déjà vu.

For the second time this season, the Cajuns scored on the last play of the first half courtesy of a blocked field goal.

Linebacker Derace James stormed in to block Adam Moss’ 53-yard field goal attempt with less than a second left before halftime, and Antwain Spann picked the ball up on one hop in front of the UL Lafayette bench and returned it 45 yards down the left sideline to give the Cajuns the 36-7 halftime lead.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@lafayette.gannett.com

6. UL Football Kwarteng claims crucial fumble, turns momentum

LOUISIANA La. — Louisiana’s football squad was in some trouble midway through the first half here Saturday night.

The Cajuns had just seen an early 13-0 lead dwindle to 13-7 when Florida International converted an interception into a touchdown, and the visiting Golden Panthers had possession once again with momentum on their side.

On the first play of that possession, though, an attempted reverse turned into disaster and Cajun linebacker Eugene Kwarteng fell on a fumble.

Three plays later Dwight Lindon bowled into the end zone to make it a 21-7 game after Jerry Babb’s two-point pass play to Bill Sampy.

Just a few minutes later, it wasn’t a contest any more when the hosts scored two more times in the last 34 seconds of the half on the way to a 43-10 win over the Panthers.

“That fumble recovery was big,” said Cajun defensive coordinator Brent Pry.

“We’d been preaching turnovers all season. That’s one thing we could really point to all year, and when we create turnovers we can win football games.”

The Cajuns went into the game ranked eighth nationally in turnover ratio, and made that number prophetic with the recovery on a play that FIU head coach Don Strock said may have been a game-breaker.

“I think that was going to be a touchdown,” Strock said. “They (LOUISIANA) didn’t have anybody on the other side.”

The play was designed as a tight end reverse, but Panther quarterback Josh Padrick and running back Adam Gorman mishandled the first exchange and Kwarteng plopped on the loose ball at the FIU 17.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@lafayette.gannett.com

7. UL Football Cajuns relish runaway victory

Louisiana ends home season in style with 43-10 blowout

LOUISIANA La. — How do you react to a new situation?

It was a nice problem to have for Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns, who led visiting Florida International 36-7 at halftime of Saturday’s home finale at Cajun Field.

Coach Rickey Bustle’s squad had only exceeded that many points once this season, in a 45-42 homecoming loss to UL Monroe, so the midpoint runaway was uncharted territory.

“It’s never happened before,” Bustle said. “But there were still nails in the coffin, and championship teams do that.

“We need to understand what to do in the second half, and for the longest time they (the visiting Panthers) were basically winning the second half. I was upset with that. We were playing hard, just not smart.”

Of course, when you lead by 29 points at halftime and you’re honoring 23 seniors, it would be hard to let down enough to lose.

So, despite an astounding 14 penalties accepted against the two teams in the third period alone (25 overall), UL improved to 3-8 with a 43-10 victory.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

8. UL Football Penalty barrage reaches absurd level

LOUISIANA La. — It’s a good thing Louisiana scored a 43-10 victory in Saturday’s home finale against Florida International.

If they had been on the short end of the score, the Ragin’ Cajuns would surely have been in a surly mood over the 25 penalties called on the two squads — 13 on the visitors for 96 yards and 12 on the Cajuns for 126 more.

The latter figure is an unhappy high mark for coach Rickey Bustle’s two years at UL.

Referee Rick Doan and his officiating crew might have iced their shoulders after throwing that many flags.

In the third period alone, there were 14 penalties accepted against the Panthers and Cajuns.

Especially absurd was an FIU field goal drive that made the score 36-10.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

I have a Question Is Stamps still double covered?

I couldn't go to the game but I did read the paper and Stamps only had 3 receptions. How is this possible against a 1AA school? Was he double covered all night? He only needed 9 receptions to move into 2nd all time now he still needs 6. Don't the coaches realize that if he does good it will be easier to recruit his replacement? Get Stamps the ball.

10. Default

Poor Fred was not just double but sometimes triple covered last night. I was amazed at a pass that Babb threaded into him. I swear there were at least 4 white jerseys surrounding Fred on that pass. I guesss that's what happens when you're a big threat. FIU certainly knew which side our bread was buttered on. I, too, was rooting for Fred to have a big night, but Bill Sampy and Kimie Lewis did a good job of stepping in and making receptions. That 43 yard bomb to Sampy was an awesome sight. It was nice to see Babb finally land one of those.

Thanks CajunKate could you tell if Stamps was the primary reciever or knowing he would be double teamed was he the 2nd or 3rd choice?

12. Ragin' Cajuns My own thoughts

I know there has been talk of people saying that Ull should move down to D-I AA, however i do not think that people realize what that would do to the university and the players. We as players take a lot of pride in the fact that we are D-I athletes and we work very hard to do what we do. By moving down we might do better but that would be because we would be playing teams of less calliber. Also by moving down the university would not get the same type of althetes that it is getting now. so i know that it is easier said than done but please just give us time you wont be sorry.

Last night showed me this team is D1 all the way.

Kimmie Lewis had a big night and must be enjoying himself. After the game he had a smile from ear to ear. He came over to the Press Box side, shook the hand of everyone hanging over the rail, and signed many autographs for the kids. He was one of the last ones to leave the field. My 11 year old and 6 year old slapped his hand and got an autograph. Kimmie, "Thanks for making last night a great one for my kids!!"

Imagine next year, Kemmie, Jackson, BJ Crist, and Sampy. Next year, I think we have something very special with our ide Receiving corps next year, in fact I think this next year team could be very special. Babb comes back, our 4 headed horse of Running backs come back, most of our defense comes back, most of our offensive and defensive line comes back, and I fully believe we could have a 6 win season next year. Lesser competition, alot of returning players, 3 years in the system, and all this is before we have our next years recruiting class to add. I will say, the game up in ruston next year will be alot better than the one here at cajun field this year. Im already excited about next year, lets win this last one!

Tuffguy

Page 86 of 98 FirstFirst . 76 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 96 . LastLast

Thread Information