Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Football

1. UL Football Year two under way

Bustle continues rebuilding

LAFAYETTE — Last year was an eye-opening experience for Rickey Bustle, who endured a 3-9 record in his first season as head football coach at Louisiana.

After years as a highly successful offensive assistant coach and coordinator, Bustle got the chance to direct his own program with the Ragin’ Cajuns.

He didn’t grab lightning in a bottle and wow fans with the product on the field in his initial campaign, but success may not be that far away.

“The biggest thing I’ve enjoyed about the first year is our players,” Bustle said. “This is my team now. It’s on me, and that’s how it should be.

“We try to be creative in what we do, and I’m involved in everything we do.”

Bustle and his coaching staff grew through the experience of the 2002 season, and so should be better equipped to deal with similar situations when they crop up in 2003.

“Going into spring, we’re further along as coaches,” Bustle said. “We can move with the knowledge of what we can do, and the players know what to expect from us.

“It’s still a learning deal every day. We’re learning how these players learn, and how to teach them. It’s not important for us to know what we know, as much as it’s important for the players to understand what we’re doing and why we’re doing it.”

The rest of the story

South Louisiana Publishing
    Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

2. Default Cajuns focus on teaching

LAFAYETTE — Louisiana's Ragin’ Cajuns practiced for two hours Monday afternoon, marking their sixth workout of the spring.

Monday’s workout was deemed a big teaching day by the Cajuns coaches.

The staff essentially dissected Saturday’s live work, and then spent most of Monday’s practice reviewing mistakes and making corrections.

“The players were attentive and carried a positive response from our teaching,” said assistant head coach Gary Bartel. “We even added a new defensive scheme to the mix.”

The Cajuns had little time on Monday to see their new defense. Practice called for only one session of the offense versus the defense in a pass skel situation.

“We only had one team period today,” Bartel continued. “We’re looking forwarding to seeing the players in our new defensive scheme in live situations on Wednesday.”

The Cajuns defense finished Saturday’s live work on positive note and will have a chance to enhance their performance during the next two practices.

“We seemed to get stronger and stronger as it went along,” said Bartel. “The offense is going to make some plays and we need to turn around as a defense and make plays. This spring is going as expected.”

The rest of the story

UL Football Seen Monday's practice?

Did anyone have a chance to see Monday's football practice?

Did'nt get to go Monday, may go Wed. will be out of town Friday and Saturday.

UL Football

I'll be there tomorrow. I think there's another scrimmage

UL Football

Hey Mick, I am Don (big fat guy) from the practices. I did not know you lurked on these boards, but it was good to meet you at the practices. I hope I can slip away early from work tommorrow to catch the end of the practice and the mini scrimmage. The offense seems to be improving all of the time. I think most will be pleasantly surprised at some of the wide receivers and running backs. I guess I really have not taken a lot of time to watch the defense too much yet though. It will be interesting to see them (offense and defense) in a full scrimmage situation.
    Fish

If it is raining like it is now can the practice be rescheduled or is it lost?:confused:

UL Football

you have so many days to do 15. like 25 to do 15, not sure what it is now. Basically they've been taking the field every other day, except last week when fri & sat were consecutive.

9. UL Football Cajuns continue spring drills

LAFAYETTE — Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns practiced for nearly 90 minutes on their practice field on Wednesday before moving to Cajun Field for a 49-play series of live work.

Despite light rain for most of the morning and early afternoon, both fields were in good shape and drained well.

Coach Rickey Bustle praised his defense for setting the tone throughout the live work. The defense held the offense to one touchdown. The offense’s lone score came on a nifty option involving quarterback Jerry Babb and running back Dwight Lindon.

The rest of the story

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Turbine, says Chris Perrone was injured.

can you provide more info on his injury???

Z.

Originally posted by Zeebart21

Z.
    Hope it is not serious, does anyone know the status of Brooks' injury? Was his knee dislocated like they first thought? Good to see Cox and Chance get some reps but wish they were'nt getting them this way. What position has Chance been playing?

12. Default

Originally posted by Zeebart21

Z.
    According to coach Bustle, on the SportsNote this morning (if I heard him correctly) it's a sprained ankle.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Perrone's Dad is CajunT bob on the other board.

He and RW Cajun[Hodges Dad] come to the Oak during home games.

Thanks for the update.

Z.

Default Mickzat

Finally figured out who you were.

I'm the other "big Fat guy" you met last Saturday.

We have a common letter in our last names"Z".

Z.

UL Football

I hope to see you guys at the scrimmage tomorrow.

Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 . LastLast

Thread Information