Page 6 of 98 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Football

Originally posted by Zeebart21
    did you catch any fish??
    thanks for asking. oh what a fish although, in honor of don i ascertained 15 lbs of crawfish from Sonny's, for the chance i might not have and got hungry(smiling)

fishing at the river still somewhat slow nothing friday but early saturday at least there were some nibbles and about 8 put in my chest now i am only fishing off my camp dock my dad wasn't, so i also, was never a boat guy (although, i certainly do like people that have a boat.smiles) and i am only a cricket/worm type guy

i did bring back the biggest catfish i have ever caught (pausing now in my typing to go measure it be back shortly) to truly make this a true fishing tale

whoaa it is twenty-one (21)inches long this to a guy like me, is a shark the other 7 together might not measure that length heck we may paint him green and take pictures tommorrow (smiles)

UL Football CAJUNGURU's Second Evaluation

Guru’s Recruiting Evaluation
    DB’s and LB’S

In today’s evaluation, we will look at both the DB and LB positions. In keeping with this years theme of recruiting for immediate needs and building for the future, the DB signees achieve both.

The Cajuns will try and replace two prime time DB’s in Charles Tillman and Taylor. Both will be playing on Sunday this year. Coach Bustle and staff went out and signed three JC DB recruits to fill this immediate need.

Antwain Spann and Ricky Thomas are considered the jewels in this group. Spann was Miss. JC All-State and All-Region. He was also the MVP of the Miss. JC All-Star game this past year. Spann is consider the better coverage corner of the two and has solid speed with a 4.4 40-yard dash. If you want speed and then some, Thomas is your man. Thomas was All-State in track in high School and is very fast with a 4.3 40-yard dash. He scored seven career TD’s by punt and kick-off return or interceptions. He is not as polished as Spann in coverage, but is working on his techniques during spring. C.C.

Brown is the other JC Signee and is considered very solid. Brown at 6-2,205 played close to the line a lot in the defense he played in at JC. He is considered a good tackler, but he will need to work on his coverage to help the Cajuns this year.

Lamar Morgan is considered the diamond of the Cajuns high school DB signees. Such schools as Houston, Georgia Tech And Arkansas recruited Morgan. He chose the Cajuns after committing to Georgia Tech. How often can the Cajuns really say that about any signee. Morgan has great range and totaled 124 tackles, seven int’s and three fumble recoveries in his senior season. He was named Texas All-State and All-Region.

Another DB signee that is considered solid is Torres Kingsby. Kingsby did not get a lot of ink in Haynesville, but is very fast with a 4.3 40-yard dash. Kingsby was named All-State his senior year. Both Jarrett Jones and Michael Adams are good athletes, but will need time to develop.

2003 DB SIGNEES

DB Michael Adams 5-8 170 (Dallas Tex. J.F.Kimball)
    DB C.C. Brown 6-2 205 ( Miss. Delta JC)
    DB Jarrett Jones 6-0 185 (New Orleans, Karr)
    DB Torres Kingsby 5-10 180 (Haynesville,La.)
    DB Lamar Morgan 6-2 185 (Copperas Cove, Tex.)
    DB Antwain Spann 6-0 185 (Gulf Coast Miss. JC)
    DB Ricky Thomas 6-0 197 (Butler JC, Kansas)

2003 LB SIGNEES

LB Tre’ Green 6-0 215 (Bastrop, La.)
    LB Mark Risher 6-2 225 (STM, Lafayette, La.)
    LB Joe Scott 6-3 235 (Pearl River JC. Miss.)

Coach Bustle and his staff went out during recruiting and looked to add depth to the LB position. With most of the returning starters and reserves returning, the staff wanted to sign and develop a few athletes at the LB position.

Joe Scott is a solid addition and is a true middle linebacker at 6-3, 235 lbs. Scott originally signed with Southern Miss. Out of high school and transferred after one year to JC because of academics.

Tre Green and Mark Risher are the two high school signees, with Green being the more highly thought of out of the two. Green is very fast with a 4.57 40-yard dash and he played LB, safety And defensive end. Green will concentrate on the OLB position as he redshirts this year. Risher comes from the very solid program of Saint Thomas More high in Lafayette. He was very active on the field during his prep career with a high school record of 335 tackles during his time on the grid. Risher will also redshirt a year and learn the defense. Later this week I cover the offense side of the ball.

UL Football Football Spring Practice

LOOKING FOR SOME OF YOU GUYS THAT WENT TO WATCH SATURDAY'S FOOTBALL PRACTICE. HOW DID THE TEAM LOOK AND WERE THERE ANY PLAYERS THAT LOOKED GOOD IN PRACTICE? LOOKING FORWARD TO ANY REPORTS YOU MIGHT HAVE! THANKS

Good question, I did not get to go either and would love to know how it went. I should be able to go Friday.

5. UL Football

I did not make the practice, but I spoke to some of the coaches. They said the first practice was great, and that we have some good talent on the squad. They said the guys had a spring in their step that was lacking last year, and had a good handle on what the coaches expected. The coaches sounded extremely enthused.

6. Default Re: CAJUNGURU's Second Evaluation

Originally posted by CAJUNGURU
    .How often can the Cajuns really say that about any signee.
    In the past not very often. I would like to try getting used to it.

ps great evaluation, thanks.

7. Default Re: CAJUNGURU's Second Evaluation

Originally posted by CAJUNGURU
    Joe Scott is a solid addition and is a true middle linebacker at 6-3, 235 lbs. Scott originally signed with Southern Miss. Out of high school and transferred after one year to JC because of academics.
    Just to add my two cents here;

Scott didn't leave b/c of academics; he ended up copping an attitude and Bower told him to walk.

I'm really hoping it was just a short-term thing (maybe something going on at home?). If so, and he's got himself pulled back together, he should be a really good one for you. Hope it works out.

8. Default

Antwain Spann can run faster backwards than I can forwards.

UL Football spring evaluation

Is there a print out or listing of the players forty times last week during the pro-timing. I understand we broke 40 or more strenght records is this information available? How well are our safties and linebackers doing? I have not read much on Ross so far this spring. Please give us any info you have GURU. Also no info on JOe Scott. How does he look?

UL Football Spring Scrimmage

Attended my first practice of the spring and came away very impressed. First impression was how much bigger the team looks compared to last year. Coach Brad Ohrt and the team appear to have been working really hard as the size and strength of the team is greatly improved. Second impression was it was very difficult to figure out who some of the players were as many have changed numbers (for example QB Jerry Babb is now wearing #15 vs. #17 last year) and all the new players both Juco and Redshirts now playing. The following are some of the players who did not practice or were limited in practice: QB Eric Rekieta, OT Demetrios Brooks, DE Antonio Floyd and DB Ricky Thomas.

Really enjoyed meeting Zeebart and talking with him and Crawfish. It was a great day for football practice. Can't wait for 09/06/03

11. Default Re: Spring Scrimmage

Originally posted by SwampFox
    It was a great day for football practice. Can't wait for 09/06/03
    Ooh wish I could have been there. Your article is very informative, thanks for the info.

Countdown to 09/06/03

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Today's Scrimmage.

SwampFox, really enjoyed meeting you today.

Great article about todays scrimmage Good Job.

Thought it was great seeing ex-players at the scrimmage.

Jonathan Rausch[sp?], Charles Tillman, Bill Delahousaye, and even Jon VanCleve were there today.

Two hours well spent.

Z.

Default Re: Today's Scrimmage.

Originally posted by Zeebart21
    Two hours well spent.
    Yes it was. Besides having the pleasure of meeting Z, I also had the pleasure of meeting mickzat and not sure what his handle is here but on Delphi it is RWCAJUN, who gave me the the scoop on Brooks' injury. Hope to make it out to some practices this week and put some names to the numbers I did not know (working on a spring roster) as well as trying to figure out who stands where on the depth chart.

UL Football

Ditto to everything that has been stated so far. It was a great day for football and an enjoyable afternoon. As always at practice, I met quite a few nice folks as well as seeing several folks I already know. It seems like all of those who are involved in Ragin Cajun football these days are really nice folks. I especially enjoyed the visits I had with the parents of players. If you could watch the scrimmage and not get a feel of anticipation for the real thing in the fall, you are not a football fan. If anyone can come out and watch these scrimmages, I'd advise you to do so and I guarantee you will enjoy it.
    Fish

15. Default Babb to Stamps highlights Cajun scrimmage

LAFAYETTE — A scripted 49-play scrimmage on Saturday afternoon ended the fifth practice of the spring for Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajun football team as coach Rickey Bustle led his team through seven 7-play offense-vs.-defense sets.

The contact drills were the first for the Cajuns this spring.

“I like the effort out there,” Bustle told his team. “We are going to take the film and evaluate it and get better as a team.”

The offense dominated the scrimmage early. Jerry Babb hit Fred Stamps over the middle for a 50-yard touchdown on the first-team offense’s first series against the second team defense.

The first team offense continued to move the ball at will in its second series against the second-team defense. Babb hit Eric Bartel for a 20-yard gain and later connected with Bill Sampy for 21 yards on a third-and-10 play.

The rest of the story

South Louisiana Publishing

Page 6 of 98 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread Information