Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Football

Womens camp is a lock.

Ragin' Cajuns

I asked Coach Wingertner (sp?) about this at one of the last QB Club luncheons this past year. At that time he said they didn't have anything concrete in the works but that they were considering it. So far I have not heard anything further. I plan on contacting the Athletic Department to see if anything has been planed. Anyone else have any info?

I know we have budget limitations right now but a summer football camp for high school players is how many schools get the early recruiting edge, we did a good job recruiting this past year but need every edge we can get.

4. UL Football Coach Bailey (accepts offer) leaving

LAFAYETTE — Louisiana head football coach Rickey Bustle said two weeks ago that recruiting never ends.

Now, he’s got to recruit an assistant coach.

Carey Bailey, a holdover from both of the previous Ragin’ Cajun staff and the senior member of the staff in years of service, announced Saturday that he had accepted a post as defensive line coach at Middle Tennessee.

Bailey, a former standout player at Tennessee, interviewed in Murfreesbobo, Tenn., on Wednesday with Blue Raider head coach Andy McCollum, and accepted the post on Thursday.

“It was a situation that I could not pass up, both from a financial and a family standpoint,’’ said Bailey. “It’s two hours from my wife’s family and six hours from my mom and stepfather, and they’ve done a good job of making sure the coaches have what they need to be successful.’’

The rest of the story

Advertiser-Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@lafayette.gannett.com

Edmonson last year and Bailey this year. The days of UL being a last stop job are over.

UL Football Predictions for 2003 football

2003 Schedule& Predictions

*Cajuns Other

1.Aug.30 at South Carolina*13 34(L)
    2.Sept.6 LOUISIANA TECH * 24 21(W)
    3.Sept.13 HOUSTON * 35 10 (W)
    4.Sept.20 at Minnesota Minneapolis *17 42(L)
    5.Sept.27 at North Texas Denton *14 27(L)
    6.Oct.4 at Oklahoma State *14 35(L)
    7.Oct.11 LOUISIANA-MONROE *45 28 (W)
    8.Oct.18 NEW MEXICO STATE *27 24 (W)
    9.Oct.25 IDAHO *28 15 (W)
    10.Nov.1 at Southern Mississippi *14 23 (L)
    11.Nov.8 FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL *28 10 (W)
    12.Nov.16 at Middle Tennessee *21 34 (L)

Overall: 6-6-0
    Conf. : 4-3-0

UL Football

I tend to agree with your predictions, with the exception of the Middle Tennessee game. I think we'll take that one. Interesting post

Default mine

1.Aug.30 at South Carolina*20 27(L)
    2.Sept.6 LOUISIANA TECH * 24 14(W)
    3.Sept.13 HOUSTON * 27 10(W)
    4.Sept.20 at Minnesota Minneapolis *14 30(L)
    5.Sept.27 at North Texas Denton *21 10(W)
    6.Oct.4 at Oklahoma State *7 28(L)
    7.Oct.11 LOUISIANA-MONROE *35 7 (W)
    8.Oct.18 NEW MEXICO STATE *17 14(W)
    9.Oct.25 IDAHO *30 28 (W)
    10.Nov.1 at Southern Mississippi *17 20 (L)
    11.Nov.8 FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL *35 0 (W)
    12.Nov.16 at Middle Tennessee *14 17 (L)

Overall: 7-5-0
    Conf. : 6-1

Default Re: mine

Aug.30 at South Carolina
    Sept.6 LOUISIANA TECH
    Sept.13 HOUSTON
    Sept.20 at Minnesota
    Sept.27 at North Texas
    Oct.4 at Oklahoma State
    Oct.11 LOUISIANA-MONROE
    Oct.18 NEW MEXICO STATE
    Oct.25 IDAHO
    Nov.1 at Southern Mississippi
    Nov.8 FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
    Nov.16 at Middle Tennessee

I think it is difficult this early to predict what will happen. We do not know if ER will be able to play in the fall and if he does not, we go into the season with 4 very inexperienced QB's. We will also have a new defensive line and backfield. Sometimes it takes time for units to come together and for that young QB to mature. Not saying it can't happen, I just think we should not be surprised if it takes until mid-season for it to happen. The games against South Carolina, Minnesota, Oklahoma State & Southern Mississippi will be very tough for our young team. Again, not saying an upset can't happen just that it will be just that, an upset. When it comes to conference play, we have not defeated UNT, NMSU or MT since conference play started 2 years ago. I think our time has come with at least 1 or 2 of these teams (since our games have been so close with NMSU I would have to guess it will be them). I really like our chances in all of our 6 homes games. Going 6-0 at home as well as improving our record to 6-6 (up 3 games from last year) would really help with home attendence and recruiting IMHO.

UL Football football

what is new concerning the football team

11. Default Re: football

Originally posted by cajun tom
    what is new concerning the football team
    Welcome to raginpagin Cajun Tom.

Lets see, coach Bailey left and is replaced by coach Jennings

Spring practice starts in a couple of weeks that will be fun.

I am anxious to see the JC transfers and high school signees who enrolled early.

Babb going in as #1 wil be interesting as well.

12. UL Football Bustle’s Cajuns set for spring

LAFAYETTE — Rickey Bustle has his priorities in order as he begins his second spring practice as Louisiana’s head football coach.

Bustle, whose Ragin’ Cajuns finished 3-9 in 2002, gets back to the practice field at 2 p.m. today, with an eye toward making progress before the April 12 Cajun Bowl spring game.

Progress should be easier for Bustle to achieve after a year spent acclimating himself to his new coaching staff and to the personnel on hand, progress that began with an intense offseason weight program for the Cajuns.

“The No. 1 thing we want to do in the spring is to make sure we have players in the right positions,” Bustle said. “We’ve got some junior college players coming in this fall who we figure will play, so we won’t put people there.

“We’ve talked a lot about personnel this offseason.”

One move of note is shifting D’Anthony Batiste from the offensive line to defensive tackle. Also, Johnny Felders is being switched from cornerback to free safety.

The rest of the story

South Louisiana Publishing
    Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

13. UL Football Former STM stars battle for Louisiana QB supremacy

LAFAYETTE — Jon Van Cleave is gone. Erik Rekieta is mending from injury.

That leaves a pair of former St. Thomas More standouts getting all the attention at quarterback today as Louisiana begins spring football drills.

Junior squadman Matt Lane and redshirt freshman Jerry Babb will get every chance to grasp coach Rickey Bustle’s offense and show they can operate it before the April 12 Cajun Bowl.

“Erik won’t go through spring with us,” Bustle said of Rekieta, who stepped in for Van Cleave often enough in 2002 to hit 65-of-113 passes for 652 yards and 4 touchdowns.

“He’s still rehabbing from the surgery on his elbow, and then the other day he got his hand slammed in a car door and broke his little finger. When he gets healthy, he’s obviously in the mix.”

For now, though, the job falls to two players who didn’t attempt a pass last season.

“We’ll start Jerry out with the first group,” Bustle said, “and Matt will be with the second group. They’re both more athletic than we had, and we’ll let our quarterbacks be more involved.

The rest of the story

South Louisiana Publishing
    Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

been meaning to answer your question yes the picture does look like jon bil(ly)

ps. and now a question (smiling)did you scare cajun tom away?

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

did you catch any fish??

Z.

Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread Information