Page 38 of 98 FirstFirst ... 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Football

1. UL Football Bustle says Louisiana closing gap

LOUISIANA La. -- University of Louisiana football coach Rickey Bustle had just concluded his final team meeting of the 2002 season, thanked his senior class for their contributions and then asked them to leave the room.
    What Bustle was left with were the remains of his first season -- a group of 46 scholarship players or nearly 40 fewer than the NCAA's limit for Division I programs.

It only heightened the plight of Bustle, whose 3-9 record in 2002 added to a school-record stretch of seven straight losing seasons.

"It was scary," Bustle said. "But you look at it as a positive. It was a good nucleus. But that's where it was and we're still short. Even after next year I still won't get 85, but I'll be closer."

Low numbers and morale among players, along with apathy from fans, were just part of the equation Bustle had to solve in his quest to turn around UL-Lafayette's moribund football program.

The challenge will continue this season for the Ragin' Cajuns, who return 37 letter-winners and 12 starters to face another ambitious nonconference schedule and ever-improving Sun Belt Conference.

Senior defensive lineman Derace James of Patterson has set definitive goals for this season.

"I believe everyone's going out more determined," James said. "We're looking to have a good season ... we've improved over last year. Make no mistake about it ... we want to win the conference."

The source of Louisiana's optimism is centered on the recruiting efforts of Bustle and his coaching staff. To offset their disturbingly low roster numbers, the Ragin' Cajuns signed 32 players during the recruiting period -- including 11 from the junior college ranks that figure to see immediate playing time.

The rest of the story

By WILLIAM WEATHERS
    wweathers@theadvocate.com
    Advocate sportswriter

Default Re: Practice Reports

Originally posted by SwampFox
    With work getting in the way of fun most of the time, I know most of us can not make as many practices as we would like. I found this over on ragincajuns.com and thought it would help

Practice Reports
    Help? This is awesome! Thanks.

UL Football Rankings

A little fun with CBSSportline's meaningless preseason rankings. Cajuns are #107

#60 S Carolina
    #100 La Tech
    #89 Houston
    #38 Minnesota
    #63 N Texas
    #26 Oklahoma St
    #108 Louisiana at Monroe
    #69 New Mexico St
    #111 Idaho
    #46 S Mississippi
    NR Florida Int
    #101 Middle Tennessee

UL Football Rankings

Interesting to note where USC ranks in relation to
    North Texas, New Mexico St.(60,63,69)

Winnable games.......HMMMM

Count me in that number, Ross!

6. Default

Originally posted by RaginRash
    Count me in that number, Ross!
    Me too I am predicting a victory.

I don't know about the yardage yet.

Default S/S Jamal Smith hurt?

I heard that jamal smith broke his ankle, anyone hear of anything like that also? :confused:

UL Football

i think we will pull of La Tech, Houston , ULM, Idaho, Mid Tenn and New Mexico St.

The injury occurred at the end of practice & the initial diagnosis was a broken ankle. I don't know the severity or how long he is expected to be out.

UL Football jamal smith

That hurts

UL Football

yeah it really does J.Smith brought alot to the table , now there are adjustments starting F/S David Prater will have to play both Free and Strong againts USC , and back now back up F/S Wendell Williams will have to be ready to play when david goes to Strong . I have faith in those guys buti wish Jamal was still healthy

Default look on the Delphi forum

They are talking about the university announcing today it would be available in the ESPN gameday package and PPV on an individual basis for 14.95? Any truths to this?

I think they also said on local cable on PPV.?

Default cox

Called Cox and you can order the ESPN gameday, five games included, UL vs. USC included for 14.99

Hell yea

Page 38 of 98 FirstFirst ... 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 ... LastLast

Thread Information