Page 29 of 98 FirstFirst . 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Football

I haven't heard any mention of the QB racehow did Rekeita and Babb look? Also, did Smothers look decent? And finally, I take it our offensive line struggled. Try to make it out, didn't have time

O-line had three projected starters out today and when Hodges is at center it means someone else is out of pocket. It will be important to get the starters together if they can get healthy. Harvey had severe cramps Friday night, Lloyd-knee, Glover-concussion. They are very aware that it is key to improve the running game for overall team success. The injuries are getting closer to having everyone back.

Default Re: Scrimmage 2

Originally posted by SwampFox
    Just got back from the scrimmage, surprising good crowd out today to watch the Cajuns. Here are my observations.
    not that any other of your "observations" are wrong or right

just wished to say even before you thought your were you did the most exciting one

Default Race

Originally posted by evcajun12
    I haven't heard any mention of the QB racehow did Rekeita and Babb look? Also, did Smothers look decent? And finally, I take it our offensive line struggled. Try to make it out, didn't have time
    I spoke to Rekietas wife during the Scrimmage, and she told me that the word around the team is that Babb will start in South Carolina, but she said that he's still working back to being game shape. She also said that they have spoken about sharing time during the season and going with the hot hand, so its quite possible, we may not have a real "starting" QB so to say.

To tell you the truth about the RBs, none looked real decent, not a 1, this was the only practice/scrimmage I went to all year, and I'm real concerned about our run game, but like I said, it could have been our offensive line too. I think its a bit of both acctually, cuzz When there were holes, the RBs didnt hit them, and there were times when there were no holes for the RB to hit, so to speak.

Tuffguy

5. Default DAY 12

Players excited

August 17, 2003

Today was the last official day of two-a-days. All we have left now, is a huge scrimmage at the stadium today. We are looking forward to it.

Two-a-days has not only been a tough football experience, but it also has been a learning experience. We have "educate" meetings before our nightly film study. We have had many speakers useful to the team that can teach us a few things about life as well as football.

The rest Lawrence Johnson's football practice report

6. Default DAY 13

Well, it is over. Camp is over, and we had one big scrimmage today. At first, the offense had the upper hand, but after that we kind of let up a bit. The defense has played very well throughout camp, and they fully expect their intense play to continue.

Offensively, we have to continue to work on the little things. The effort is always there, but at times we need to work on the little things that make good teams great.

The scrimmage was a big hot game. It was just a sweltering pit in the stadium. For anyone who has ever been down in the stadium, it is so sunken in the ground that the heat just sits there. No sweet windy breezes or anything of that nature. It is hot. But enough about the heat, it will be just as hot in Lafayette when Louisiana Tech arrives in September.

The rest Lawrence Johnson's football practice report

7. UL Football Defense still ruling

Even Fred Stamps found the going tough on Saturday.

LOUISIANA La. — No one was immune Saturday as Louisiana’s defense provided another reminder of the tone it has set for preseason practices.

Not even All-Sun Belt Conference wide receiver Fred Stamps.

Stamps was rudely belted to the turf on a reverse by Antonio Floyd early in the scrimmage at Cajun Field, drawing oohs and groans from Ragin’ Cajun fans on a four-yard loss.

“I thought our defense did a great job,” head coach Rickey Bustle said. “They are ahead of the offense, and I would be worried if they weren’t at this stage.

“The defense swarmed the ball and had a lot of fun. They had a lot more fun than the offense did.”

Stamps remains a marquee talent on offense, despite the smackdown on the reverse.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

8. Default

I was there with camera in hand. But I didn't get there till it was over.

I hope we don't have any 2pm kickoffs.

UL Football Season Tickets

Anyone know when the football season tickets will be mailed out?

Still waiting on mine. Do we know how many were sold?

Thanks nice place, do you have to pay to participate?

You do not have to pay for that one but you do have to register. There are other forums at the Garnet Room's main site but they require payment. This is the only free one I could find.

I have not heard a number maybe somebody has

14. Default

Scoring 31 points
    Sean Comiskey 42 Field Goal
    Jordan Jackson 20 pass from Eric Rekieta (PAT blocked)
    Sean Comiskey 22 Field Goal
    Eric Rekieta 2 run (Comiskey kick)
    Sean Comiskey 49 Field Goal
    Fred Stamps 25 pass from Jerry Babb
    Charles Lee 39 Field Goal

Statistics
    RUSHING 43-59-1

Chester Johnson 8-21-0,
    Travis Smothers 9-16-0,
    Jerry Babb 1-10-0,
    Eric Rekieta 3-9-1,
    Dwight Lindon 3-5-0,
    Chad Wisler 1-2-0,
    Ross Rix 4-2-0,
    Wayne Stein 2-1-0,
    Josh Harrison 10-1-0,
    Matt Lane 1-0-0,
    Fred Stamps 1-(-4)-0.

PASSING 10-23-132-2-0
    Jerry Babb 6-12-0 97 1 td,
    Eric Rekieta 3-9-0 29 1 td, M
    att Lane 1-5-0 6 0 td.

RECEIVING 10-132-2
    Fred Stamps 3-70-1,
    Kemmie Lewis 2-15-0,
    Jordan Jackson 1-20-1,
    Wayne Stein 1-9-0,
    Josh Harrison 1-9-0
    Travis Cones 1-5-0,
    Jarvis Murchison 1-4-0.

The source of the stats

15. UL Football Stamps leaves mark on workout

LOUISIANA La. -- Take University of Louisiana wide receiver Fred Stamps off the field Saturday and there were few offensive highlights.

That, however, wasn't completely bad news for Louisiana coach Rickey Bustle.

"Our defense is ahead of the offense right now and I'm glad they are," he said following the 107-play scrimmage at Cajun Field. "It's obvious the defense was having a lot more fun than the offense did."

Stamps, a senior and All-Sun Belt Conference selection last season, caught a 25-yard touchdown pass from redshirt freshman quarterback Jerry Babb. He also had the scrimmage's most electrifying play, a diving 33-yard catch.

The other scrimmage touchdown came when senior quarterback Eric Rekieta threw a 20-yarder to 6-foot-6 freshman receiver Jordan Jackson.

Otherwise the day mainly belonged to the defense, Bustle said.

The rest of the story

By BOBBY ARDOIN
    Special to The Advocate

Page 29 of 98 FirstFirst . 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 . LastLast

Thread Information