Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Football

Default Re: Help! - Please

Originally posted by Gangsta
    I am very interested in walking-on the football team can anyone give me some good advice and what should I expect?? Any help appreciated, Thank You.
    Given that hardly any of us on this forum have ever participated in intercollegiate athletics, I certainly wouldn't expect any good advice over here.

But good luck to yourself.

UL Football Contact Information

Coach Bustle 482-6318
    Coach Wingerter 482-6323

3. Default

I really appreciate all of your help guys

Originally posted by NOCajun
    Not inside the stadium. NCAA rules forbid it.
    Because of that, once I had to where a garbage bage.

5. UL Football Summer Workouts

Does anyone know how many freshman are working out in summer drills. OL Zachary Leger is enrolled in summer school and he is working out during the summer.

A poncho works pretty well. I stayed pretty dry throughout the North Texas debacle this year (and I stayed the WHOLE time!)

That's a tough call to make because there are no "drills" organized by the football staff (although the Strength coach can conduct them).

8. UL Football Saints visit to get primed for (Aug. 2) scrimmage

LOUISIANA La. — With 31 years in the business, Dan Simmons has overseen many a trip made by the New Orleans Saints.

Still, steps to ensure a successful journey — regardless of how long —must be taken and that’s precisely why the Saints’ longtime equipment manager headed a small group of team officials to tour Louisiana's athletic complex on Thursday.

The purpose of the visit was to begin making specific plans and detail needs for the Saints’ Aug. 2 Black-and-Gold scrimmage to be played at Cajun Field.

“No, this isn’t going to be a very complicated thing for us at all,’’ Simmons said. “You’re just talking about a one-day trip. It’s not like we have to pick up everything. We’re not moving the whole operation like you would for training camp. The facilities here are great, and the university here is going to let us utilize a lot of what’s already here.

The rest of the story

Kevin Foote
    kfoote@theadvertiser.com

9. UL Football Coach Jennings & Bartel on the SportsNote

Call 269-1077

Attached Images Attached Images  

I can't hear the show so could someone ask them about the new athletic center and report here what they say

11. UL Football Ragin Cajun Football

Greetings Cajun Folk! It's almost football time!

Seeing as how we have a game scheduled between our clubs this season, I've got a million questions about your football team. I have to admit that I know very little about UL except that you were USL and now you're LA and you've got a pretty damn good baseball program and knocked my boys out of the postseason. If you kind people could clue me in some, I'll gladly give y'all a run down of what to expect from my guys. Here's a few questions to start:

What kind of team will UL field this year? What are the expected strengths and weaknesses?

How many games will UL win this season?

Who are the star players to watch for on offense? Defense?

Who coordinates those units? What sort of schemes do you run offensively and defensively?

How many starters and lettermen graduated? How many return?

How is team size and team speed?

Who is UL's most hated opponent?

Who is your head coach, how long has he been on the job, and how do y'all feel about him?

How has UL done versus SEC teams historically?

Had you ever heard of the Gamecocks prior to playing us in the baseball postseason?

What do you think of the University of South Carolina and of our Fighting Gamecocks?

Do you think USC belongs in the SEC?

How will UL fare versus LSU this season?

How does USC compare to LSU as a football program?

Can USC beat LSU this year?
    Which team presents a greater challenge: USC or LSU?

How do you expect to fare in the game between our respective fotball teams?

12. Default Re: Ragin Cajun Football

Originally posted by SteelCock
    Greetings Cajun Folk! It's almost football time!
    Greetings and salutations. Before I get around to answering your questions (probably tomorrow) I wanted to note I removed the second "L" it is the local custom.

On the graphic below I am in the minority who use it, I reserved it for victories, hopefully in the first game of season. It's not used as a proper noun, it's French for Ooh Louisiana's There I like to use it after touchdowns.

ps We need to get you a USC logo for your Avatar. And yes a win by UL in game one is a very long shot.

UL Football

Here we go:
    What kind of team will UL field this year? What are the expected strengths and weaknesses?

Strengths: We have at least 3 wide receivers that could be playing for anyone, including one who will probably play on Sunday in 2004. He is super fast and is very elusive in open field. Injuries could be devastating on the Wide receiver corps though, because after number 4 it the talent thins out somewhat. This should not be a problem when we play you guys though. Wide receivers s to watch for: Stamps*****, Sampy***, Lewis***, Another good fill in guy in Bartel, (a Coaches son) What he lacks in god given talent, he make up in displace.

Linebacker: Really good one coming back off a medical red-shirt (Ross Brewbacher). He went down in the 3rd game last year, but was leading tackler on the team. He comes from good stock, as his dad was a great Texas A & M Aggie and Chicago Bears player.

Weaknesses: Inexperience on the offensive line, but I think these guys are maturing very rapidly.
    The secondary could be our Achilles heel this year. We have lost 2 really good ones this season to graduation. (They are both currently on NFL rosters)

How many games will UL win this season?
    My heart say 6, my head says 4-5

Who are the star players to watch for on offense?

Defense?
    Stamps, Brewbacker,

Who coordinates those units? What sort of schemes do you run offensively and defensively?
    I think our offense will be more run oriented this year, especially if we play the red shirt frosh at QB.
    See "prospectus" mentioned in next answer.

How many starters and lettermen graduated? How many return?
    This is a very young team. The official Ragin Cajun web-site has a "Prospective" that is very good in breaking down the team and players. I would invite you to go over to that site and print this PDF document. It provides a breakdown on every position. There are very few players (I think 19) from the previous coaching staff.

How is team size and team speed?
    Stamps is super fast. Running back corps is quick, but no real speed burners. (IMO) The quarterback situation is still up in the air at this time, but it may be a red shirt freshman that is 6' 4" and pretty mobile. He can scramble out of the pocket and get some yardage. If he is in the game, expect some design running plays. The other possibility is a big senior who was a JC transfer last year. He is fairly mobile (Not as fast as the frosh though) and has a rocket launcher for an arm. He is a good team leader also and the team rallies around him.

Who is UL's most hated opponent?
    Our traditional rival is Louisiana Tech, even though I would call it a love-hate relationship. Of course we do not play LSU this year.

Who is your head coach, how long has he been on the job, and how do y'all feel about him?
    Rickey Bustle in his second year. He was previously Offensive Coordinator for Virginia Tech for the previous 9- 10 years. He has created a lot of excitement but he really took over a team that needed a big influx of talent. He has really only had one full recruiting class to work with.

How has UL done versus SEC teams historically?
    Not good.

Had you ever heard of the Gamecocks prior to playing us in the baseball postseason?
    Of course!

What do you think of the University of South Carolina and of our Fighting Gamecocks?
    We will love any team that will beat the snot out of LSU A&M Baton Rouge

Do you think USC belongs in the SEC?
    Why Not?

How will UL fare versus LSU this season?
    We do not play them this year. The next scheduled game with the purple _____cats is in 2005 I believe.

How does USC compare to LSU as a football program?
    NO comment.

Can USC beat LSU this year?
    Not sure.

Which team presents a greater challenge: USC or LSU? We do not play the Tigers this year.

14. Default

Thank you for the input. I am embarrassed that I forgot Coach Bustle took over UL. You don't have to tell any USC fans who he is. The brief time he was away from VPI, he was one of the best OCs and offensive minds we've ever had in Columbia. Many USC fans have nightmares wherein Tommy Bowden is fired, Ricky B returns to his alma mater, and ugliness ensues. I'll have to adjust my prediction by 6-9 points to account for Rickey Bustle's brain, but I'm still going with my guys by a hair or maybe 28.

I should also point out that I know all about Ike. I can't seem to stop calling him Ike Turner instead of his actual surname. Perhaps I'm eager to see if he can slap WRs around as easily as Big Ike did Tina. Regardless, other Steeler fans seem to be amused by my mistake. Though kidnapped by a pack of wolves and raised down south before I could develop a frightening accent, I was birthed at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA.

I'm not sure if anyone's been as excited about landing a Lafayette player before now. I had Ike rated just ahead of another freakishly talented super sleeper CB, Leigh Bodden of Duquesne. Bodden is a much more developed and experienced CB, but played fantastically versus lower level competition. Both are 6'0 200ish 4.3 speed merchants, but Pittsburgh obviously placed a premiuim on Ike's upside and having faced tougher competition. Signing Ike was the only thing that made up for the pain of seeing a rival sign Bodden to a FA contract. Ike also came to terms faster than any Steelers draftee ever and faster than any NFL draft pick this year giving a hint of what sort of seriously comitted team player he is. I've got to believe he'll be better than Tillman who wouldn't be as good a fit for the Steeler defensive scheme regardless.

I won't be surprised to see both UL CBs excel in the NFL, but I expect to see Ike and Bodden in the Pro Bowl. Bodden's HC was an OL starter on the PSU NC team of '82 and states plainly that Bodden would've started at any of the 4 DB spots on that team, and that he's as good a football player as he's ever been around.

What NFL prospects might leave UL this year?

15. Default

It just occurred to me that a 6'4 RS Freshman QB ended our season and handed us our most painful loss last year.

I would like a Gamecock avatar, but I don't mind the Catahoula. I'm a bulldog man, but I've wanted a Catahoula since the first time I saw one at work in the swamp. It's hard for a bulldog to catch a pig without a hounddog to find him first. Those Catahoulas are as smart as they come. My vet told me yesterday that it's going to cost me $1800+ to repair my pit _____'s ruptured ACL, so playing y'all is the closest I'll get to a Catahoula anytime soon.

Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 . LastLast

Thread Information