Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst . 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: Lady Cajuns 2006-07 basketball

1. UL Basketball UL women top South Alabama 69-61

When South Alabama's Whitney Woodard banked in a one-handed desperation three-pointer with 2:25 left, pulling her team within one point, Yolanda Jones wasn't worried.

"We're playing much better as a team right now," Jones said. "We knew if we kept doing that, we'd be all right."

Jones and her UL women's basketball teammates responded down the stretch, holding off the visiting Jaguars for a 69-61 victory Wednesday at Long Gym to pull within one-half game of the Sun Belt Conference Western Division lead.

The Cajuns (15-5, 7-2), winning their fifth straight game, hit six of eight free throws in the final 2:04 and point guard Jeanenne Colbert hit a clutch driving layup with 55 seconds left to provide a 64-60 lead.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Lady Cajuns WIN with Defense

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    I am going to the mid week game in Hammond, UL vs SLU this Spring for Baseball. My godchild wants to pitch or play outfield for UL and has the eye of Tony on him.

Maybe we could meet up there!

DaddyCajun
    Sounds good to me. Do you know the date/time? I took some classes at SLU a few years ago, so I know where the baseball stadium is located. Hope we can meet there. Keep me posted. Any one else from the Northshore (or BR or even Lafayette) want to come out to Hammond let us know.

3. UL Basketball Work to be done, Title Talk premature for Lady Cajuns

UL's women's basketball team has won five straight games and eight of its last nine, and has moved itself into a tie for the Sun Belt Conference's Western Division lead.

But the Ragin' Cajuns are still only at the halfway mark of the league race, and senior forward Yolanda Jones said talk about league titles is premature.

"It's way too early for us to think about that," Jones said Wednesday after her 23-point, 11-rebound effort helped the Cajuns take a 69-61 win over South Alabama. "We've still got to play a lot of good teams. We're not thinking about where we are in the rankings yet."

But you can bet Cajun coach J. Kelley Hall has thought about it - a lot.
    With Arkansas State falling at nationally-ranked Middle Tennessee Thursday night, the Indians and the Cajuns are both 7-2 in the Western Division with nine games to go. But UL probably has a tougher schedule down the stretch.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald

4. UL Basketball Re: Lady Cajuns win

By every account the crowd was very good Wednesday.

Sunday all non Saints/football fans should go watch the Lady Cajuns play. They are going head to head in the time slot against he Saints.

ps I won't be able to make it myself.

5. UL Basketball Re: UL Basketball Strives to Remain Perfect in 2007

Looks like the Lady Cajuns are holding up their end of an undefeated 2007

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL Basketball Strives to Remain Perfect in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Looks like the Lady Cajuns are holding up their end of an undefeated 2007
    Egsalant! Eye em prowd avem fur bing greight doun tha II thowsend sevin cezen sterech. Goe Kage ens!

That was in honor of my Lafayette public education. (Z. ya darn tootin!)

7. UL Basketball UL Lady Cajuns get sixth-straight win (89-66) and 1st place

Yes, their tipoff time is the same as the NFC Championship Game.

Many fans' attentions will be divided between the on-court happenings and their portable radios/TV's, those tuned to the New Orleans Saints and the Chicago Bears. That is, those fans that show up.

In fact, UL's women's basketball team won't even have a radio broadcast, with its regular station carrying the Saints' first-ever title game.

All that doesn't matter to Cajun coach J. Kelley Hall and his players. All they want is sole possession of first place in the Sun Belt Conference's Western Division, which will happen if the Cajuns top Troy's Trojans in today's 2 p.m. contest at Long Gym.

UL (15-5) is on a five-game win streak, the second-longest in the Sun Belt behind only nationally-ranked Middle Tennessee (13 straight), and the Cajuns enter today's game tied with Arkansas State at 7-2 in league play. But ASU holds a tiebreaker advantage over the Cajuns right now courtesy of a head-up overtime win back on Dec. 16.

"We have no room for error," Hall said, "and the team we're playing Sunday is scary. When they get going, they're one of the best shooting teams in the league."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald

Default Re: UL Lady Cajuns UL look for sixth-straight win

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    It's too bad that the game is going to be at the same time the Saints game is, I'd really love to go watch the girls play.

9. Default Re: UL Lady Cajuns UL look for sixth-straight win

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    It's too bad that the game is going to be at the same time the Saints game is, I'd really love to go watch the girls play.

Cajun women up 61-44 with 14:00 minutes left in the 2nd half.

Another win for the Cajuns in the making.

10. Default Re: UL Lady Cajuns UL look for sixth-straight win

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave
    Cajun women up 61-44 with 14:00 minutes left in the 2nd half.

Another win for the Cajuns in the making.

Cajuns with 7 minutes to go.

How are you keeping up with the game? Thanks by the way.

12. Default Re: UL Lady Cajuns UL look for sixth-straight win

ccbssportsline.com

Thanks I'm going to go look

14. Default Lady Cajuns get sixth-straight win 89-66

UL's women's basketball team may have been ahead at halftime, but Yolanda Jones knew both she and her team could do better Sunday afternoon.

"We were taking too many outside shots," Jones said after the Cajuns' 89-66 Sun Belt Conference victory over Troy. "At halftime, we figured the posts needed to bang it inside."

That's what Jones and Sonora Edwards did in the second half, abusing the visiting Trojans' inside players and helping UL (16-5, 8-2) roll up its biggest point total in over a year.

Jones and Edwards teamed for 33 points by themselves in the second half, only two less than the Trojans (10-9, 3-6) had as a team. As a unit, the Cajuns hit on 22-of-32 shots after taking a 37-31 halftime lead, and had an impressive 50 points in the paint.

"That was our adjustment in the second half," said Cajun coach J. Kelley Hall. "We were going to pound it inside and make them play post defense. Sonora and Yoli both had big halves."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald

Default Re: Lady Cajuns get sixth-straight win 89-66

Nice job, Ladies!!!

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst . 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 . LastLast

Thread Information