Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: Lady Cajuns 2006-07 basketball

1. UL Basketball LAdy Cajun of Louisiana put winning streak on line at Texas Southern

UL's Lady Cjaun basketball team looks to match its second-longest winning streak since 1990 tonight, and the Ragin' Cajuns will be heavy favorites to do that when they travel to face Texas Southern's Tigers.

The 5 p.m. contest at TSU's Health & P.E. Arena comes on the heels of the Cajuns' 83-68 win at South Carolina Saturday in the finals of USC's own Thanksgiving Tournament. That win, coming after UL led by as many as 23 points in the final five minutes, was UL's fourth straight during an 11-game road streak to start the regular season.

UL (6-2) previously took wins at Texas-Pan American and Hampton before two wins in the USC tourney and will face Texas-El Paso and Sun Belt Conference rival New Orleans before opening its official home slate Dec. 16 against Arkansas State.

The Cajuns actually appear at home this Sunday, facing LSU-Shreveport at 2 p.m. at Long Gym, but it's UL's second exhibition contest of the season and doesn't count in the record.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

2. Default Re: Lady Cajuns Real Time RPI

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Now with a record of 6-2 their RPI is 46th
    The record is still 6-2 but I see one of the opponents lost so the RPI has dropped to 54

ps Only 3 of the 8 opponents have losing records.

3. Default Lady Cajuns Extend Win Streak to Five Games

HOUSTON, Texas-Louisiana’s Lady Cajuns basketball team had little trouble collecting their fifth consecutive road win as they downed Texas Southern 82-48 on Thursday night at the Health and PE Arena in Houston.

The Lady Cajuns improved to 7-2 on the season while the loss drops the Tigers to 1-4. Head Coach J. Kelley Hall improved to 22-2 all-time when scoring 70 or more points.

Yolanda Jones and Sonora Edwards paced the Cajuns. Jones scored 23 points, while Edwards netted 20.

Kina Miller was the only other Cajuns player in double figures. The junior scored 13 points off the bench.

UL’s defense held TSU to just 32-percent from the floor in the game, while the Cajuns offense shot 60-percent.

The Lady Cajuns out-rebounded Texas Southern 47-to-25.

The Cajuns struggled to find their rhythm early. In the first five minutes of the contest, UL led 8-5 thanks to six points by Sonora Edwards.

A quick triple by Onna Charles boosted the Cajuns’ lead to six at 11-5.

Texas Southern responded with the next two baskets to cut the UL lead to just a pair, but goals by Alicia McDaniel and Edwards extended the advantage back to six.

Once again, the Tigers cut the lead to just a pair with a chance to cut the lead to just one. TSU missed a free throw leaving the score 15-13.

Leading by just two, the Ragin’ Cajuns went on a 17-0 run to break the game open.

Charles began the run with a jumper with 10:25 on the clock.

Baskets by Yolanda Jones and Edwards pushed the Cajuns advantage to 21-13 with 7:54 remaining in the first half.

Jones proceeded to make seven of the Ragin’ Cajuns next nine points.

The junior made a jumper from about 20-feet from the basket to give UL a double-digit lead for the first time on the day.

Kina Miller made a lay-up and Jones followed with another basket to give the Cajuns a 27-13 edge.

On the next Texas Southern possession, Jones intercepted a pass and dropped in the easy lay-up. She was fouled on the play and converted the three-point play by draining the free throw.

Courtney Ratliff concluded the Cajuns run with a fast-break lay-up of her own.

After allowing back-to-back baskets, UL extended their lead to 21 points and entered the locker room at halftime leading 41-20.

In the second half, the two teams played even for nearly the first 10 minutes until the Cajuns went on an 8-0 run to take a 29-point advantage.

The run took only 75-second and saw the Cajuns make three fast-break lay-ups.

Edwards started the run with a lay-up and then McDaniel and Jones combined for three consecutive lay-ups in transition.

The Cajuns had little trouble finishing out the game and won by 34 points.

The Ragin’ Cajuns will take a break from action for final examinations, but resume play as they head to El Paso, Texas to take on UTEP at 3:05 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 10.

LOUISIANA SI

Default Re: Lady Cajuns 2006-07 season

Cannot wait to use up my punch card at the LongDome! Then I'll have to start forking over the dough because these ladies are on fire, and I don't want to miss out on seeing them in action.

UL Basketball Re: Lady Cajuns 2006-07 season

Quote Originally Posted by CajunKate
    Cannot wait to use up my punch card at the LongDome! Then I'll have to start forking over the dough because these ladies are on fire, and I don't want to miss out on seeing them in action.

LongDome, I like that!! I too will be using up my punches and my kids Young Ragin Cajun Cards!!!

DaddyCajun

ps The Lady Cajuns are really playing well and I for one who speaks for many, am very very proud of the job of the Halls and staff, and of course those lovely Lady Cajuns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns win mid-season exhibition

Louisiana’s Lady Cajuns captured a 71-51 victory over LSU-Shreveport in a rare mid-season exhibition game on Sunday afternoon at historic Earl K. Long Gym.

Strong defensive pressure and rebounding paved the way for Louisiana, as the Cajuns forced 25 turnovers thanks to 10 steals and won the rebounding battle 39-20.

Yolanda Jones and Alicia McDaniel led the Cajuns in scoring with 15 and 13 points, respectively.

UL was never threatened in the second half after building an 18-point halftime advantage. A 10-2 run to start the second half pushed the hosts lead to a comfortable 26-point margin, 53-27.

Two triples by Onna Charles and baskets from Sonora Edwards and Jones provided the scoring for the Cajuns during the opening minutes of the second stanza.

Louisiana will enjoy finals during the upcoming week before traveling to El Paso, Texas to face Texas-El Paso on Sunday at 3:05pm. UL (7-2) will return the Miners trip, after UTEP (6-1) lost in double overtime at EK Long last season.

The Cajuns started the game on an 8-0 run and never looked back.

Jones scored a quick basket 12 seconds into the game before Edwards added a lay-up and Jeanenne Colbert nailed two from the stripe. McDaniel capped the run with a lay-in off a nice pass from Colbert.

After four from the stripe by Kacie Cryer cut the Cajuns lead to six points, 19-13, UL responded with a 19-3 burst over the next 7:58 to build their biggest lead of the first half.

Jones started the run with a pair of baskets around a jumper from McDaniel.
    Three more points by McDaniel preceded baskets by Kina Miller and Courtney Ratliff. Miller and Ratliff then added a free throw around McDaniel’s sixth field goal of the first half. Valanette Amie added a basket to close the run and put UL up 38-16 with 4:05 left in the opening half.

LOUISIANA SI

7. UL Basketball Victorious return for Lady Cajuns

It may have been an exhibition, but the last thing Allicia McDaniel wanted her team to do Sunday was play poorly in its first appearance before hometown fans.

"We wanted to just stay focused," said McDaniel, whose 13 points and game-high seven rebounds helped lead UL's women's basketball squad to a 71-51 exhibition win over LSU- Shreveport Sunday at Long Gym.

The Lady Cajun squad, which compiled a 7-2 record in nine straight road games to open the regular season, was making its first Lafayette appearance since an exhibition win over Arkansas Tech almost a month ago. Even if this one didn't count in the records, it counted to the Cajun players because of that long home-court absence.

"It meant something to her," UL coach J. Kelley Hall said of McDaniel, who doubled her season scoring average. "She was playing hard and deserved to play the most minutes. We rewarded her with some extra minutes."

Minutes is what Sunday's exhibition were all about, according to Hall. All 11 players, including redshirting post player Valanette Amie (exhibition games do not affect redshirt status), played at least nine minutes and all but one player scored.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

UL Basketball Re: Lady Cajuns win mid-season exhibition

My parents were able to go to the game, I however had to work. They said it was NO contest as coach Hall played his 2nd team at least half the game.

Mom and Pop were very impressed, and love UL Lady Cajun and Ragin Cajun Basketball!

DaddyCajun!

9. UL Basketball Re: Lady Cajuns Real Time RPI

The record is 7-2 the RPI has dropped to 76 and the next 3 opponents have winning records.

UL Basketball Women's Basketball RPIs

Out of these two Louisiana schools, Louisiana and Louisiana Tech, guess which one has a Women's basketball team with a current RPI of "75" and the other "177"

Who woulda ever thunk it?!

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Women.html

11. UL Basketball Re: Women's Basketball RPIs

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed
    Who woulda ever thunk it?!
    Not I, and I notice that 177 is an improvement of 16 from the week before.

WOW

Default Re: Women's Basketball RPIs

A little surprised to see WKy so low. I thought they would be right up there with Middle Tenn.

Quote Originally Posted by shof
    A little surprised to see WKy so low. I thought they would be right up there with Middle Tenn.
    Same with Texas. #70? With only 1 loss, I would have expected them to be higher. Low SOS has them down, I guess.

UL Basketball Re: Women's Basketball RPIs

Coach Hall was on the news tonight and stated that Louisiana had the #2 rated defense in the country!!

I sure hope they keep up that D and bringing in the W's after the week layoff for exams.

Merry Christmas,
    DaddyCajun

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Not I, and I notice that 177 is an improvement of 16 from the week before.

WOW
    Turbine:
    Another place to look is the Jeff Sagarin/Carmel, Indiana Ratings.

rpiratings.com/sagarin.html

Jeff Sagarin/CBN Women's College Basketball Ratings

Good site to look at. They take into account where you play and the score of the game. Probably more accurate picture of what's really going on.
    Thanks for the support,

Headragincajun1

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread Information