Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst . 27 34 35 36 37

Thread: The Book: Lady Cajuns 2006-07 basketball

Default Re: Yolanda Jones Earns WNBA Invite

This is not much of a surprise to those of us who have seen her play these two seasons. She has good ball handling ability, shoots well from the field and has no fear going inside and banging with bigger people. It's going to be tough with only 39 spots available to draft, but she has as good a chance as anybody that's going to be there. Go get 'em, Yolie! Knock 'em dead!

2. UL Basketball Re: Yolanda Jones Earns WNBA Invite

Yolanda Jones helped UL's women's basketball team reach unprecedented heights during her senior year. This weekend, she'll be trying to reach similar individual heights.

Jones is one of 51 players nationally invited to take part in the WNBA's Pre-Draft Camp on Friday and Saturday at Cleveland State University in Cleveland. The camp is being held in conjunction with the Women's Final Four which is set for semifinals on Sunday and the national title game Tuesday.

In effect, the camp is the WNBA's version of the NFL combine, with coaches and general managers from all 13 WNBA teams on hand to evaluate players for the April 4 draft.

"I don't know if people realize it's a huge, huge honor to be invited to the WNBA combine," said Ragin' Cajun coach J. Kelley Hall. "There aren't that many people that get invited and only 39 get drafted each year, so obviously if you're not in the combine there's not a good chance that you're going to get drafted unless you're in the Final Four.

"It gets her foot in the door, and it gets recognition for our program in letting people know we do have some good players."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

3. UL Basketball Halls leave Ragin' Cajuns for Lady BearCats

J. Kelley Hall will get a rare opportunity in the coaching profession - the chance to bring a second program out of the doldrums.

The five-year head coach of UL's rags-to-riches women's basketball program on Wednesday accepted the head coaching position at the University of Cincinnati, capping an almost overnight courtship.

The 48-year-old Hall was introduced at a press conference at UC's Lindner Athletics Center on Wednesday afternoon, after interviewing for the position last weekend.

"I was looking for a job that has a chance to win a national championship," Hall said at that press conference. "We can do it here. We can do it in the Big East."

Cincinnati went 15-14 overall and 6-10 for an 11th-place finish in the rugged Big East Conference last season. The Bearcats lost to Pittsburgh in the opening round of the Big East Tournament, and 21-year coach Laurie Pirtle retired 10 days after that tournament loss. UC has been to only four NCAA Tournaments in its 36-year history and has one NCAA win.

Turning the Bearcats into a conference contender won't be easy, but that task pales next to the one Hall inherited when he accepted the UL position five years ago to the day on April 5, 2002.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

4. UL Basketball Hall's exit takes Cajun women by surprise

When word broke early Wednesday morning that UL women's basketball coach J. Kelley Hall was leaving the program to become the new head coach of the Cincinnati Bearcats, the Ragin' Cajun players were understandably shocked.

"I was like 'wow,' " said Cajun junior guard Onna Charles, who was recruited by Hall following her stellar career at New Iberia Senior High. "We knew there was a possibility he could leave because we did something big here. He'll be missed."

Although they weren't mad at Hall for leaving them, following the program's most successful season in which they earned a first-ever NCAA Tournament at-large bid, the players weren't happy with how they found out.

The rest of the story

Eric Narcisse
    enarcisse@theadvertiser.com

5. UL Basketball Re: Yolanda Jones passed over by WNBA draft

UL senior center Yolanda Jones went undrafted Wednesday as the WNBA held its annual draft. Middle Tennessee standout Chrissy Givens was the only Sun Belt player drafted, being selected in the third round by Phoenix. Lindsey Hardy of Duke was drafted first overall by Phoenix, then traded to the Minnesota Lynx for veteran Tangela Smith.

6. UL Basketball Lady BearCats view

The University of Cincinnati has a new women's head basketball coach. James Kelley Hall will replace the retiring Laurie Pirtle, who left after coaching 21 years at UC.

UC Athletic Director Mike Thomas said he is thrilled to have Hall running the women's basketball program.

"Hall brings a base to the program with some energy, and some charisma, which will help us in the community, and help us sell tickets," Thomas said.

Although some of the players just met their new basketball coach, they're impressed with their new leader.

"I am very excited," sophomore guard Shelly Bellman said. "He's very confident, and obviously he wants to win, which is what we're here for."

Hall has spent the last five years at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette, and led the Rajin' Cajuns to the NCAA Tournament this past season.

Hall's career coaching record is 290-118, which includes being named the 2005 Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year.

Before becoming head coach at Louisiana-Lafayette, Hall was the recruiting coordinator at the University of Louisville (2000-2002), Auburn University (1996-2000), California State Fullerton (1994-1996), Mississippi State University (1992-1994), University of Alabama (1983-1984) and his alma mater Troy University (1982-1983).

The rest of the story

David Harding
    Media Credit: Ty Kuck

Default Re: Hall's exit takes Cajun women by surprise

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    _ _
    Very classy and mature comments by the team.

I think everybody understands that this was a business decision and Coach Hall did what was best for his family. I certainly wish him the best and thank him for what he did while he was here.

The only thing that bothered me in the article was when one of the players said they got a text message from Mrs. Hall.

I sure hope that Coach Hall comes back to meet with the team, or at least has a conference call with them. I think the girls deserve that.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    _ Very classy and mature comments by the team.

I think everybody understands that this was a business decision and Coach Hall did what was best for his family. I certainly wish him the best and thank him for what he did while he was here.

The only thing that bothered me in the article was when one of the players said they got a text message from Mrs. Hall.

I sure hope that Coach Hall comes back to meet with the team, or at least has a conference call with them. I think the girls deserve that. _
    cajunproud:
    There is never a good way for this to come out. Our plane was delayed 3 hours out of BTR. Put us 3 hours late in getting up there. We were supposed to have a window of time to call each player on our team and personally tell them so they didn't have to get a text message (which was the only way we could get them) because we only had 12 minutes from the time we reached campus.
    No excuses, sometimes things are beyond our control. We will see each and every kid and Meredith will continue to be here til at least May 2. I'm still hoping to have a nice get together for the team (They earned it). I'm so proud of each and every one of them and what they did. They have a lifetime of memories now.
    One thing about Meredith and I, we will never ever forget them (TEAM) or where we came from.
    Headragincajun1

Quote Originally Posted by headragincajun1
    _ cajunproud:
    There is never a good way for this to come out. Our plane was delayed 3 hours out of BTR. Put us 3 hours late in getting up there. We were supposed to have a window of time to call each player on our team and personally tell them so they didn't have to get a text message (which was the only way we could get them) because we only had 12 minutes from the time we reached campus.
    No excuses, sometimes things are beyond our control. We will see each and every kid and Meredith will continue to be here til at least May 2. I'm still hoping to have a nice get together for the team (They earned it). I'm so proud of each and every one of them and what they did. They have a lifetime of memories now.
    One thing about Meredith and I, we will never ever forget them (TEAM) or where we came from.
    Headragincajun1 _
    Heck of a job, coach. Best of luck in your new endeavor. You leave us in much better shape than you found us. I think that will help us attract another quality coach. Progress in steps. Thanks for getting the program over the first hurdle.

Default Re: Lady Cajuns - NT

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy
    _ Just ran across this, isn't she on the womens team??

Name: Colbert, Jeanenne
    Charge: Simple Criminal Damage To Prop
    Arresting Agency: Univ Of La Lafayette (Ull)
    Address: 100 Blk Hebert(Ull Campus) STR
    Lafayette, La _
    And again

Charge: Batt Of A Police Ofc Charge
    Address: 100 Blk Lasalle ST
    Lafayette, La

11. Default Re: Lady Cajuns - NT

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy
    _ And again

Charge: Batt Of A Police Ofc Charge
    Address: 100 Blk Lasalle ST
    Lafayette, La _
    And your point is????

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst . 27 34 35 36 37

Thread Information