Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sagarin Ratings

1. Default Re: Sagarin Ratings

The AP has us at #31 and the USA Coaches poll at 113----What in the hell are these coaches thinking---they should know what we had come in and what we have coming back!!! And the fact that we were 9-4 with this returning----Love to see who is on that list!!!!

Default Re: Sagarin Ratings

This may be the most variance we have seen in our preseason rankings in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I think 79 is pretty close. LOL at anyone who puts us in the 100s
    79 is way low, but at least within the realm of reality. anywhere in triple digits by anyone is just idiotic. UL is closer to 30 than 70. That's why you play the game though.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm not that surprised that a mathematical model set up like this might put us over 100. It all has to do with how you've initially weighted the past and current opponents. If our wins from last year (close) and our losses were against low ranked teams, Sagarin's model is going to keep us very low. Although I don't agree with the result this computation kicked out for UL, it doesn't surprise me. Even Tech's 67 doesn't surprise me. once again. if you go back and look at the prior weighting of opponents and the results.

UL is not going to win in the poll battles. We are going to have to continue to win on the field, and long before we get "poll respect". we are going to have to demolish low ranked programs and upset some highly ranked programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I'm not that surprised that a mathematical model set up like this might put us over 100. It all has to do with how you've initially weighted the past and current opponents. If our wins from last year (close) and our losses were against low ranked teams, Sagarin's model is going to keep us very low. Although I don't agree with the result this computation kicked out for UL, it doesn't surprise me. Even Tech's 67 doesn't surprise me. once again. if you go back and look at the prior weighting of opponents and the results.

UL is not going to win in the poll battles. We are going to have to continue to win on the field, and long before we get "poll respect". we are going to have to demolish low ranked programs and upset some highly ranked programs.
    \

It was my understanding that Sagarin ratings weren't even computed until several weeks into the season & based upon actual game performance. Is this ranking based on the schedule this season & where each team & their opponents finised last season, or is it like the tracking forecast for Hurricane Isaac?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    \

It was my understanding that Sagarin ratings weren't even computed until several weeks into the season & based upon actual game performance. Is this ranking based on the schedule this season & where each team & their opponents finised last season, or is it like the tracking forecast for Hurricane Isaac?
    Yes. Sagarin, as of now, uses last year's results and in a segment of the computation it uses this year's schedule. No matter what, it is a double and triple whammy of last year's ratings and margins of victory against last year's ratings. Sagarin carries over from last year and then starts computing this year's results to establish new ratings as the season moves on.

If you take our 110 rating, it would still have us going 7-5 against our opponents this season. If we ever expect to leap up in a mathematical rating system (or any system for that matter), we are going to have to beat the snot out of everyone in the SBC and upset some highly rated teams. Despite our great season, we did not do that last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Yes. Sagarin, as of now, uses last year's results and in a segment of the computation it uses this year's schedule. No matter what, it is a double and triple whammy of last year's ratings and margins of victory against last year's ratings. Sagarin carries over from last year and then starts computing this year's results to establish new ratings as the season moves on.

If you take our 110 rating, it would still have us going 7-5 against our opponents this season. If we ever expect to leap up in a mathematical rating system (or any system for that matter), we are going to have to beat the snot out of everyone in the SBC and upset some highly rated teams. Despite our great season, we did not do that last year.
    So then according to the formula they use, UL is just a victim of beating bad teams & Playing an easy schedule? This formula is whack then. No wonder the powers that be were under such pressure to include a human pollin the NC game. Anyone who went 9-4 , played in bowl & won, had to play the number 2 team in the country, & has to play two top 20 teams this season should be ranked way higher than that based on any formula that makes sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information