Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to Kickoff 2012. . . First Scrimmage

1. Default Countdown to Kickoff 2012. . . First Scrimmage

LOUISIANA -- Spirit and intensity was high at Cajun Field on Saturday as the UL offense rallied late to claim a 36-34 victory over the defense in the first scrimmage of the preseason.

“I was a little bit surprised by the play today but after a long week of practice, we came out and played pretty hard today,” UL head coach Mark Hudspeth said.

“We got a little tired late and committed some silly penalties which we have to avoid. The fourth quarter is usually when your are tired and we can’t be making jumping offside or making false starts if we expect to win,” Hudspeth added.

The first offensive unit, led by quarterback Blaine Gautier, looked strong during the 75-minute scrimmage, but some new faces stepped up and showed that they are capable of helping out.

Safety T.J. Worthy, who earlier in the week learned that the NCAA granted his appeal making him eligible to play this fall, scooped up a fumble and returned it 16 yards for a touchdown early in the scrimmage.

“That was a big-time play by T.J.” Hudspeth said. “He has had a good camp so far and his play today showed it.”

Wide receiver Jamal Robinson showed that he will be a reliable receiving option, making several catches during the session, including a 55-yard run and catch.

“Jamal has played well so far this fall and he has shown that when he makes the catch, he is capable of being a playmaker for us,” Hudspeth said.

Robinson wasn’t the only receiver to stand out as Bradley Brown, who is eligible this fall after transferring from Northwestern State, made a nice run after a catch to score during the scripted portion of the scrimmage.

“We are going to have a nice and deep receiving unit,” Hudspeth said. “We know that Javone Lawson, Harry Peoples and Darryl Surgent are going to step up when the game is on the line, but our depth is going to help us perform at a higher level all game long.”

Not everything met Hudspeth’s expectations however. Early in the scrimmage following a change of profession he chastised the No. 2 defense for walking onto the field. “We take the field like we own the field,” Hudspeth said before making the unit return to the sidelines and show a true Cajun effort in returning to the field.

Hudspeth singled out the effort of the defensive line during the scrimmage, especially Justin Hamilton and Cordian Hagans.

“Those two really stood out on a unit that played pretty hard today and they did a nice job of forcing play at the point of the attack” Hudspeth said. “the defensive line was a concern coming out of spring practice because of our inexperience, but it is quickly becoming apparent that we are going to have some quality depth.”

LAGNIAPPE: The scrimmage was played out before approximately 200 fans who were allowed to watch because they were members of the RCAF. . . after 10 straight days of practice, Hudspeth gave the Cajuns Sunday off with only a short team meeting scheduled for the day.

Default Scrimmage?

WTH? No report yet?

Default Re: Scrimmage?

Not much to report. 1st team offense looked great. 2nd team offense struggled but made a few big plays.

Our depth at RB did not show today. Harris was out (not sure why) and Carter was the only RB that looked good.

All the receivers made plays. Bradley Brown broke one for about 70 yards with the 2nd team. I dont remember who the safety was on the that big play but Brown make him break his ankle on the move he put on him (no he didnt really break an ankle).

The kicking game was horrible! We were lucky to make 3 of 10 FG/Extra points. Baer, Stover, and Alvarez

We will have depth at QB for a long time to come. All QBs looked good.

Default Re: Football: Countdown to Kickoff 2012. . . First Scrimmage

A running game this year is critical. A repeat of last year's mediocre running offense will not do.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    Not much to report. 1st team offense looked great. 2nd team offense struggled but made a few big plays.

Our depth at RB did not show today. Harris was out (not sure why) and Carter was the only RB that looked good.

All the receivers made plays. Bradley Brown broke one for about 70 yards with the 2nd team. I dont remember who the safety was on the that big play but Brown make him break his ankle on the move he put on him (no he didnt really break an ankle).

The kicking game was horrible! We were lucky to make 3 of 10 FG/Extra points. Baer, Stover, and Alvarez

We will have depth at QB for a long time to come. All QBs looked good.

What QB's played after Gautier and Broadway? Haak? Landor?

6. Default Re: Football: Countdown to Kickoff 2012. . . First Scrimmage

lawson makes one of the finest catches I have seen--ball coming over his back right shoulder at and angle and catches it over the left front over his head---As if ya'll didn't know, very very good!!!! ---I think if I drafted receivers that B Brown might be the first if I were looking for the game breaker----I think that Butler caught 2 TDs---Yes we are loaded there----TEs are there but larry looks very slow---Nixon looked like a project at QB with some skill and also played a lil slot/H-Back----he is a big guy-----Pray that nothing happens to Britt Baer---We are in trouble punting /KOs/EPs/FGs with out him----Don't know what the deal is with Alvarez and Stover??? When Go-Chay and B-Way turn up the field they are really a threat they are the real deal ---No where to run with the backs but Mr Carter, Reed, And Pierce are the scatters and Jackson shows a little more power-----Our Def line looks much better than the offense judging from lack of running the ball for yardage----The talent level just seems so much more than in the past!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    What QB's played after Gautier and Broadway? Haak? Landor?
    As expected Gautier and Broadway took the majority of the snaps. Landor played one or 2 series and Nixon played one as well. Nixon looked huge behind center. I didnt expect to see him line up at QB. I dont remember seeing Haack play much but from warm ups, its very obvious the kid has a chance to be our QB of the future. (yes it was just warm ups but he has the tools needed)

Default Re: Countdown to Kickoff 2012. . . First Scrimmage

Haack got the first series with the 3s. Played a couple plays then Landor came in for a few

Default Re: Football: Countdown to Kickoff 2012. . . First Scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I think if I drafted receivers that B Brown might be the first if I were looking for the game breaker.
    Is it just me? "Downtown" Bradley Brown reminds me of Fred Stamps. Small, fast, catches anything within reach, and is a threat to break every catch for a TD.

We need to be able to run the ball. Because, I don't think we will be as dynamic in the passing game.

Is something wrong with Alonzo? How did Montrel Carter look and how did Tig, Delvin Jones and the linebacker corps look, thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNTODD44 View Post
    Is something wrong with Alonzo? How did Montrel Carter look and how did Tig, Delvin Jones and the linebacker corps look, thanks!!
    Alonzo is fine he had slight injury and held him out just a precaution

he will be back tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    We need to be able to run the ball. Because, I don't think we will be as dynamic in the passing game.
    Why not? I realize we've lost Greene, but we still have so many capable targets. We will have open recievers and I'm sure Blaine will get them the ball.

I think we lost a huge dimension with Green. I know we have a bunch of really great receivers. I guess it just depends on how many of them we can put on the field at one time.

I think Ladarius forced other defenses to game plan for him. I don't think we will have that dimension this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    I think we lost a huge dimension with Green. I know we have a bunch of really great receivers. I guess it just depends on how many of them we can put on the field at one time.

I think Ladarius forced other defenses to game plan for him. I don't think we will have that dimension this year.
    LG created mismatches in the slot because of his size and speed. We can replace that with Jamall Robinson who is a much more fluid athlete at WR. We will be fine in the passing game and we just need to have a serviceable running game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information