• 3-9

0 0%
  • 2-10

1 0.69%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Predict UL's 2012 FB Record

Default Re: Predict UL's 2012 FB Record

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    The history of our road opener losing streak, and the history of Troy's home opener winning streak has to be considered.
    Why? we have traditionally started with BCS powers in the opening weeks while Troy has often played lower level schools at home for the first game. I don't think either trend affects the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    Honestly I don't see any reason we can't beat Oklahoma State
    I would be more shocked if we lose that game
    UhOk. Being enthusiastic and happy about the upcoming season is a refreshingly nice feeling but I think being shocked if we were to lose to OSU is a bit much. I do agree with you that there is no reason we can't win but the deck is stacked against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    I don't see 3 games on the schedule we lose TBH
    it seems people are expecting us to LOSE our bowl game, and there is no way i see that happening

truly i see us losing one game this year, and it won't be to Florida or OSU. I would say FIU coming off beating OSU, but we have a bye week to prepare. The game I am most worried about (Like most on here) is the ULM game. For two reasons, I see it is a TRAP game, it comes after an ESPN2 televised tuesday night game, followed by going on the road to play Florida for a huge matchup (considering i think we will be undefeated going into the ULM game). Also, we tend to play ULM close every year, so that game worries me.

The second game that worries me is Western Kentucky, these guys have OWNED US to say the very least. Yes they do lose Bobby Rainey, but they have been bringing in good recruiting classes. Also it comes on the heels of the Florida(which will be a hard fought game to the wire, ultimately I think Baer wins it on a walk off 37 yard FG). Anyways i do see us beating WKU, I just hope the team comes prepared to play, because there will be some bumps and bruises from there emotional victory over Florida.

To argue your point about us starting slow last year, yes we did look awful at first against Nichols, that does not nothing to say we dont come out in our mid season form. Here is why, number one we still were trying to figure what type of offense we were going to run under the new regime. Secondly we never had a quarterback take control of the offense yet. Thirdly with a full season under Hud's belt we have our pretty much our whole offense returning.

Those ar emy opinions feel free to criticize all you want
    How can people expect to lose the bowl game when you don't know if you will be in one and who your opponent will be?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I only criticize your willingness to do so. Are you any more in tune to what is going on with this team's "evolution" than anyone else? I think not. Obviously you are predicting an unblemished record and few, if any, hiccups along the way which makes me feel better now. I will quickly rescind my previous prediction and quickly strike that we go 13-0.
    I always predict an undefeated UL football season in preseason prognostication threads. It pleases me to post it, so I do. As for me being more in tune with the evolution. that is not the point. The point is that no one else is taking into account that evolution. You are one of the people that mentioned "UL usually starts out slow". who is "UL"? What team are you talking about? How does this current program (Hud, Hud's staff, RCAF, 29,000 average fans, much improved recruiting, a bowl berth, a bowl victory, etc, etc, etc) relate in any way shape or form. except the place they play. have anything to do. even marginally. with any former UL programs? There isn't a single common denominator that should still factor into anyone with an ounce of knowledge's "prediction" of how this team and program are going to fair.

Most of the programs in the SBC are in some state of predictability with their former selves. UL is in a much, much better state. and it is not a step change. it is not an event. that stepped us up. it is a process. and that process is ongoing every second since Hudspeth took over.

I like your normal UL football analysis. but when you start talking about how UL over the past ten years usually does this and does that. that is so grossly out of tune with the current situation (and no other program is in the acceleration state we are in this country right now) I had to rip the horn out of your hands to shut it off.

I have no exact idea of what will result from our accelerated football program. but again. we have no history of any relevance whatsoever. The only thing I know for sure is that a Hudspeth style of program takes progress and multiplies that progress each time the ingredients are mixed together. We have never had that at UL. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I always predict an undefeated UL football season in preseason prognostication threads. It pleases me to post it, so I do. As for me being more in tune with the evolution. that is not the point. The point is that no one else is taking into account that evolution. You are one of the people that mentioned "UL usually starts out slow". who is "UL"? What team are you talking about? How does this current program (Hud, Hud's staff, RCAF, 29,000 average fans, much improved recruiting, a bowl berth, a bowl victory, etc, etc, etc) relate in any way shape or form. except the place they play. have anything to do. even marginally. with any former UL programs? There isn't a single common denominator that should still factor into anyone with an ounce of knowledge's "prediction" of how this team and program are going to fair.

Most of the programs in the SBC are in some state of predictability with their former selves. UL is in a much, much better state. and it is not a step change. it is not an event. that stepped us up. it is a process. and that process is ongoing every second since Hudspeth took over.

I like your normal UL football analysis. but when you start talking about how UL over the past ten years usually does this and does that. that is so grossly out of tune with the current situation (and no other program is in the acceleration state we are in this country right now) I had to rip the horn out of your hands to shut it off.

I have no exact idea of what will result from our accelerated football program. but again. we have no history of any relevance whatsoever. The only thing I know for sure is that a Hudspeth style of program takes progress and multiplies that progress each time the ingredients are mixed together. We have never had that at UL. Never.
    I usually care very little about previous feats or in our case, misfeats but to literally not acknowledge that our team has not started slow in the past is not smart. I understand the difference in philosophy and hopefullymtalentmlevel associated with this new staff, the same players that have been here have traditionally struggled early. This goes from running the ball to dropping passes and just basically not being as sharp in execution. I realize that we were breaking in some new players last year with some new wrinkles on both sides of the ball, we were beat at the point of attack on both sides of the ball against a bad Nicholls team and to a certain degree against Kent.

The continued evolution of our program still has many questions, mostly on defense. We feel we have some good,talent but much of it is inexperienced and it is impossible to truly know how they will respond until they are in game situations.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I usually care very little about previous feats or in our case, misfeats but to literally not acknowledge that our team has not started slow in the past is not smart. I understand the difference in philosophy and hopefullymtalentmlevel associated with this new staff, the same players that have been here have traditionally struggled early. This goes from running the ball to dropping passes and just basically not being as sharp in execution. I realize that we were breaking in some new players last year with some new wrinkles on both sides of the ball, we were beat at the point of attack on both sides of the ball against a bad Nicholls team and to a certain degree against Kent.

The continued evolution of our program still has many questions, mostly on defense. We feel we have some good,talent but much of it is inexperienced and it is impossible to truly know how they will respond until they are in game situations.
    There simply is not comparison to past teams. In addition, just about every program "starts slow" compared to their mid season and season-ending progress. To identify UL as a team that "starts slow" from past observations and attributing that characteristic to UL. as if it is in the water they drink. is simply poor logic. It doesn't have limited applicability. it has none whatsoever. Even looking at the start to last season, the dropped passes had to do with a QB competition and Blaine not having settled down with his passing. The reps and rythmn with his Saturday WR corps ended up helping both Blaine and the WRs. We should not have any interruption in that consistency beyond normal (everyone in the country) opening day jitters. And, being it is against Lamar and at home. I expect nothing less than the NO Bowl pitch and catch festivity to continue.

I don't get why any discussion of UL football, even in the first few games of last year, are relevant to anything expected of this year's team. Does anyone understand the major difference it makes in each incremental day spent, practice attended, game performed that a staff like this one affects a program? I can understand an outsider looking at past results and making comments and projections from the historical perspective. I cannot understand a Cajun fan not understanding the extreme significant difference in this program's "evolution". We are massively evolving in this new program. every second. There are far two many lights going on to compare the dark days of yesterday. We are not "slow starters". There are no past "high water marks" to look at and discuss any future outcomes. You cannot comprehend the difference a valid strength and conditioning (physical and mental) program has on a team's performance. The level of intensity over our past is not even something you can compare.

In my opinion, we will start this year at the peak of last year's season. if not higher than that. You can think what you want, but last year's staff management of our program could only get about 25% increase in results out of that team. mentally and physically. The work put in last year has an accumlative effect. This year will take the compound interest of last year and the results will be exponentially better. threw practices. through downtime. through game time. through time.

This is why college football is as interesting of a sport as it is. It is monumentally physical. It has 22 players simultaneously affecting the outcome on every play. There is no comparison in any other sport. When you begin to even slightly raise the bar, the amount of smash that comes with each incremental tick of that increase is mindboggling. UL is not the football program any of you have ever comprehended it to be. This staff and our players are unmatched in our past in every aspect of football TEAM capability. Just wait and watch.
    Rack Him! This I agree with, but would like to add that it isn't jsut the top 22 guys who are affected, but the guys who are normally looked at as back ups that folks would think won't give much contribution, their contribution is made incredibly almost infinitely larger by this process. That is the biggest difference between this program & any UL program of the past. THis combined with two beatable teams for money games & no real meat grinder to cripple the first team will ALL help this team to not only start fast, but continue to gdet even better than that as the season goes on. I full expect this team to be one of the best teams in the country at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan79 View Post
    I don't think we need to get ahead of ourselves, OSU and Florida will be much more physical than we are. Just because they recuit better atheletes, not because we don't work hard. Can we play with them probably but we won't beat them, and I see us losing one game in conference. No matter how good you are it is hard to run through without a loss because you are just more familiar with each other.
    This is a myth & will be totally disproven this season. UL will dominate Florida at the LOS this season. This is where the old school mentality of well, they're an SEC school & therefore they'll be more physical gets thrown in the garbage can. I cannot wait for this to unfold.

This is a very fair assessment of the unknowns. The unknowns will however become known very early this season though. I am very confident you will understand very soon, why those who have had the opportunity to see this thing close up, are so excited & blowing on the trumpet so hard. This season is going to be the greatest in the history of UL football. I promise, no one on this board will ever forget this football team.

There simply is not comparison to past teams. In addition, just about every program "starts slow" compared to their mid season and season-ending progress. To identify UL as a team that "starts slow" from past observations and attributing that characteristic to UL. as if it is in the water they drink. is simply poor logic. It doesn't have limited applicability. it has none whatsoever. Even looking at the start to last season, the dropped passes had to do with a QB competition and Blaine not having settled down with his passing. The reps and rythmn with his Saturday WR corps ended up helping both Blaine and the WRs. We should not have any interruption in that consistency beyond normal (everyone in the country) opening day jitters. And, being it is against Lamar and at home. I expect nothing less than the NO Bowl pitch and catch festivity to continue.
    So didn't you just confirm my logic by acknowledging that all schools start slow? If this is the norm for all teams, I'm not sure why you expect such a high level from the get go. I expect a win but I also expect a slow start in the first half while we get it going in the second and pull away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    This is a very fair assessment of the unknowns. The unknowns will however become known very early this season though. I am very confident you will understand very soon, why those who have had the opportunity to see this thing close up, are so excited & blowing on the trumpet so hard. This season is going to be the greatest in the history of UL football. I promise, no one on this board will ever forget this football team.
    So, you are saying that there are a select few here that truly know the unknown? Interesting. I'm so glad that there are those like yourself with intimate knowledge of the future because I truly will sleep better knowing that. I'm as optimistic as any fan in regards to our chances this season. I think we have a team that will be a force to be reckoned with in the conference but I also try to keep things in perspective. It is more the norm rather than the exception that teams on the mid-major level who have a tremendous year often take a step or two back the next year for various reasons. All signs point to continued success but for unknown variables, they can't build upon that success. This does concern me as well as some questions on defense. Our conference is very balanced and it will be a grind week in and out to put W's in the record books. My question to you is this. Since you are predicting 12-1 if I'm not mistaken, what will your response be if the Cajuns went 8-4 and a bowl win or loss. This is obviously a solid year and one to be proud of but one that falls short of your expectations. What will your response be after making such outlandish remarks?

So, you are saying that there are a select few here that truly know the unknown? Interesting. I'm so glad that there are those like yourself with intimate knowledge of the future because I truly will sleep better knowing that. I'm as optimistic as any fan in regards to our chances this season. I think we have a team that will be a force to be reckoned with in the conference but I also try to keep things in perspective. It is more the norm rather than the exception that teams on the mid-major level who have a tremendous year often take a step or two back the next year for various reasons. All signs point to continued success but for unknown variables, they can't build upon that success. This does concern me as well as some questions on defense. Our conference is very balanced and it will be a grind week in and out to put W's in the record books. My question to you is this. Since you are predicting 12-1 if I'm not mistaken, what will your response be if the Cajuns went 8-4 and a bowl win or loss. This is obviously a solid year and one to be proud of but one that falls short of your expectations. What will your response be after making such outlandish remarks?
    First of all I predicted 11-1 & didn't make a bowl outcome prediction because I don't know who they'll play or which bowl they'll be in (although I took a guess) . Secondly, my remarks are only outlandish if you truly don't believe this football team can accomplish great things. What you are suggesting is a nice tidy little season for a nice little group of slightly immature college players with quite a bit of talent & a we're here for the girls mentality. This suggests to me that you DON'T know near as much about this group of young men & haven't used your time very well, either paying attention to those who do, or listening to them directly either one. Now I don't like calling you out, but you just didn't seem to have any problem doing the same to me. So I'm telling you right now, straight up. It's the difference between MEN & boys. This is a group of men who have come together for the purpose of challenging themsleves & each other in a way that no other UL team has EVER, do you read me? EVER has come together to challenge themselves & each other.

This team is young. They're young all right, but that isn't an excuse this time around. It's a reason. It's a reason they will do this again, & again, & again. The excuses of injuries, youth, & other vagueries for non achievement is gone with this group of young men. I expect them to come every bit as close to perfection as I have predicted, not because I am such a great soothsayer, but because I see the will in them that WILL make them the champions of this conference this season & for at least the foreseeable future. Balance be damned & balance can play a part in who will take 2nd prize. If you can't see that, then you need to get a new set of glasses Mr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    First of all I predicted 11-1 & didn't make a bowl outcome prediction because I don't know who they'll play or which bowl they'll be in (although I took a guess) . Secondly, my remarks are only outlandish if you truly don't believe this football team can accomplish great things. What you are suggesting is a nice tidy little season for a nice little group of slightly immature college players with quite a bit of talent & a we're here for the girls mentality. This suggests to me that you DON'T know near as much about this group of young men & haven't used your time very well, either paying attention to those who do, or listening to them directly either one. Now I don't like calling you out, but you just didn't seem to have any problem doing the same to me. So I'm telling you right now, straight up. It's the difference between MEN & boys. This is a group of men who have come together for the purpose of challenging themsleves & each other in a way that no other UL team has EVER, do you read me? EVER has come together to challenge themselves & each other.

This team is young. They're young all right, but that isn't an excuse this time around. It's a reason. It's a reason they will do this again, & again, & again. The excuses of injuries, youth, & other vagueries for non achievement is gone with this group of young men. I expect them to come every bit as close to perfection as I have predicted, not because I am such a great soothsayer, but because I see the will in them that WILL make them the champions of this conference this season & for at least the foreseeable future. Balance be damned & balance can play a part in who will take 2nd prize. If you can't see that, then you need to get a new set of glasses Mr.
    This again is where you take things well out of proportion. I NEVER said that we can't have a great season. Hell, I predicted 9-3 which in my mind is a great season. However, to assume we will beat the likes of either a Florida or OSU is premature. My main point on defense did not necessarily point to youth but rather inexperience and a lack of game exposure for many guys who will be called to action.

This again is where you take things well out of proportion. I NEVER said that we can't have a great season. Hell, I predicted 9-3 which in my mind is a great season. However, to assume we will beat the likes of either a Florida or OSU is premature. My main point on defense did not necessarily point to youth but rather inexperience and a lack of game exposure for many guys who will be called to action.
    I aint just assuming we're gonna beat Florida if that's how you want to label it. But if we must, then it's a little premature to assume we're gonna beat Lamar or USA for that matter. I have very carefully weighed & balanced the talent, leadership, experience, focus, & desire of this Cajun squad against that of the Florida Gators & IMO even with Florida having a large home audience which can be quite intimidating for an average football team, this UL squad will go to Florida & embarrass them in front of their fan base. I just hope Florida has a good enough mark at that time for it to matter to pollsters. I guess the difference between me & thee is I actually believe that UL s better than their #34 preseason ranking given to them by the CBS pollster. Of course, then again, I have seen where this team started off the Spring & into the fall as compared to last season & realize that this schedule is actually way more condusive to a great season than last season's was.

So didn't you just confirm my logic by acknowledging that all schools start slow? If this is the norm for all teams, I'm not sure why you expect such a high level from the get go. I expect a win but I also expect a slow start in the first half while we get it going in the second and pull away.
    By me saying the majority of teams aren't in mid to late season form at the first of the season in no way acknowledges that "the Cajuns typically start slow". Your comment implies that "starting slow" is endemic of UL. There is no "history" for this current program. We have no idea how comparably fast or slow UL, under Hudspeth, are to start a season. And taking anything that happened under prior head coaches at UL, and applying it to this program, is simply not sound science.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information