Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 . LastLast

Thread: 2006: UL-6 FAU-0

Default FAU can state its case in Sun Belt

FAU can state its case in Sun Belt
    By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

BOCA RATON — If Florida Atlantic is to contend for the Sun Belt Conference championship, its most important game of the season could be tonight.

Although it's early in the conference season, the Owls say getting to play Louisiana-Lafayette, the top team in the conference, at Lockhart Stadium could allow them to make a statement.

"This a major opportunity for us," FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger said. "If we can win against this good Sun Belt Conference team, that will give us proof we can be competitive with the balance of the league. That's a good place to be at this juncture."

Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. and the game will be televised on ESPN2, the second time FAU has been on national television.

Both teams took their lumps early in the season playing tough non-conference games, but the Ragin' Cajuns were more successful than the Owls.

While FAU was outscored 192-20 in losses to Clemson, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and South Carolina, the Ragin' Cajuns have two of the Sun Belt's five wins this season against opponents from other conferences.

After losing to LSU 45-3 and Texas A&M 51-7, Louisiana-Lafayette defeated Eastern Michigan 33-14 and then pulled off a 31-28 upset of Houston after trailing by 21 points.

"There are some similarities from a standpoint of playing those teams early," Ragin' Cajuns coach Ricky Bustle said. "You have to come back, get your feet back on the ground and play."

Even after those four blowout losses, the Owls believe they are on the right track after winning their past two games.

"We're really excited about this game," FAU senior fullback Aaron Sanchez said. "From here on out, it's Sun Belt games and that allows us to focus on our goal of a conference championship."

The Owls won last year's meeting after flying in the day of the game because there were no hotel rooms available in Lafayette, which was still housing refugees from Hurricane Katrina.

The winner of tonight's game will still have that its goal of a bowl in its sights - because the SBC has a berth to the New Orleans Bowl - while the loser will face a tougher road.

"We have a lot of confidence and momentum and the rest of the games are conference games," FAU running back Charles Pierre said. "If we could win out that would be tremendous."

Louisiana-Lafayette has won its past three games, and FAU is brimming with confidence after winning its conference opener on the road.

"I'm really proud of this football team and where they are today," Schnellenberger said. "If we would have said at the beginning of the year we would be right here, we would be happy with that. We would have liked to have one of the first games, but it turned out we're not ready to do that yet, but that's the last time I have to say that."

La.-Lafayette at FAU

When: 7:30 p.m. TV: ESPN2 Radio: 640-AM, 1450-AM

Records: ULL 3-2, 0-0 Sun Belt Conference; FAU 2-4, 1-0.

Key matchup: ULL quarterback Jerry Babb vs. FAU defensive line.ULL is ranked No. 10 in rushing with 209 yards per game thanks to Babb's option attack. FAU has faced similar offenses the past two games.

Key Question: Did the Owls have enough time to prepare for the Ragin' Cajuns? FAU played its last game Thursday, so it had to hurry to get a gameplan ready for ULL. The Ragin' Cajuns had a bye last week. The advantage goes to ULL.

Prediction: Louisiana-Lafayette 28, FAU 17

Directions: From I-95, exit at West Commercial Boulevard, go west a half-mile and turn right onto Oriole Boulevard, stadium is on the left. Stadium info

From Florida's Turnpike, exit at West Commercial Boulevard, go east about 3 miles and turn left onto Oriole Boulevard, stadium is on the left.

Default Re: What do YOU say, and what do THEY say?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    LOL!! OK, its another corner. This one is at the intersection of "low mid major" and "N.O. Bowl" streets.

We'll have to finish with 10 wins before "fair weather" fans like myself ease up.

Z.
    Z. I didn't realize you were fair weather fan. I could have sworn you were all weather. Unless what you meant we are all fair weather fans in one form or another.

I have confidence that this team is ready for tonight. As far as the corner turning. That would be on this long trip up from the bottom there are several corners to turn.

I would say that this team can turn a corner must I bring up the fact that we stunk in the week after A&M, How about we stunk last year against FAU.

Default Student section moved for UL game

Found this on a FAU message board:

"The student section and band will be moved to the visitor sideline for the UL game to not have shots of empty stands on ESPN2. The sidelines will be closed off to fans."

Comments anyone?

Default Re: Student section moved for UL game

good move. they will still have empty seats unless they have a much better turn out than they have been.

Yeah, I read somewhere that they were hoping for 12,000. :o

This really shouldn't have been the nationally televised game. The attendenece will make the belt look bad.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Ewhite
    Z. I didn't realize you were fair weather fan. I could have sworn you were all weather. Unless what you meant we are all fair weather fans in one form or another.

I have confidence that this team is ready for tonight. As far as the corner turning. That would be on this long trip up from the bottom there are several corners to turn.

I would say that this team can turn a corner must I bring up the fact that we stunk in the week after A&M, How about we stunk last year against FAU.
    sarcasm, good buddy.

Z.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    This really shouldn't have been the nationally televised game. The attendenece will make the belt look bad.
    No.it'll make FAU look bad. Im just concerned about UL. We win, we look good.

Z.

Default Re: Less than 30 hours to kick off

Quote Originally Posted by snote
    i did share with him something i used to do in tv games . told him to do it when he knew the camera was on.
    How is he going to stroke his mullet, he doesn't have one??????

Quote Originally Posted by Flcajun
    good move. they will still have empty seats unless they have a much better turn out than they have been.

We can have Tech send over some of their blue tarps

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58
    We can have Tech send over some of their blue tarps
    HA! That was classic!

12. Default Rajin Cajuns

In two headlines in Miami Herald, we are the Rajin Cajuns. Thought that was kind of funny. Cajuns' logo is prominently featured on front of sports page, as the game is one of the leading stories.

Personally, I wish more games were on odd days like this so sunbelt could get more recognition.

Whether many fans or the NCAA likes it or not, college football TV, especially mid week games, are pushed on by gambling. A wednesday night game like this will be watched by many who bet on football and only have this one game to focus on for the night.

Most serious sports fans do wager on games so this game will get a lot of attention.

This is really off subject, but I wonder how much influence gambling has on the polls. For example, when some media type with a vote in the AP poll loses a bet due to a top team winning but not covering the spread, I wonder if that influences? I bet it does. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    If our guys don't have it right "between the ears" for this game then they will never have it right.

Destin's keys to Victory - play error free ball, control the lines of scrimmage and give the ball to Fenroy.

Well said. Sticking to what we do in stubborn fashion instead of freaking out at 21-0 eventually wore down Houston to the point where there was nothing they could do about it.

Default Re: Rajin Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by miamicajun32
    In two headlines in Miami Herald, we are the Rajin Cajuns. Thought that was kind of funny. Cajuns' logo is prominently featured on front of sports page, as the game is one of the leading stories.

Personally, I wish more games were on odd days like this so sunbelt could get more recognition.

Whether many fans or the NCAA likes it or not, college football TV, especially mid week games, are pushed on by gambling. A wednesday night game like this will be watched by many who bet on football and only have this one game to focus on for the night.

Most serious sports fans do wager on games so this game will get a lot of attention.

This is really off subject, but I wonder how much influence gambling has on the polls. For example, when some media type with a vote in the AP poll loses a bet due to a top team winning but not covering the spread, I wonder if that influences? I bet it does. ;-)

Seems like the mid week games worked pretty ell for the MAC.

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    I completely agree, UL, MT, ASU and Troy should be where the national games are until attendance is upped at the other 4 schools. Atleast we wont have to deal with a real homefield advantage tonite.

Tuffguy

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 . LastLast

Thread Information