Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst . 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 . LastLast

Thread: 2006: UL-6 FAU-0

Default Re: Homer Clock

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCajun
    I'll have to verify this later this evening, but it seems to me that there was 5 seconds on the clock when FAU ran their second to last play. I don't remember if that was a shotgun throw or three-step drop but they completed about a 20 yard pass out of bounds in 3 seconds. My thoughts: If the QB used a drop it takes 3 seconds to drop back and release the ball, much less get it to the receiver and have him run about 5 yards to the sideline. I'm trying to figure out how there was 2 seconds left for the final play.
    People need to realize that the clock ESPN shows and the actual playclock are completely different. ESPN runs their own clock up there and tries often to keep it in sync with the official gameclock. The ESPN clock didn't stop when the gameclock did on the second to last play of the game, hence the 2 second difference, which was corrected by the ESPN crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02
    People need to realize that the clock ESPN shows and the actual playclock are completely different. ESPN runs their own clock up there and tries often to keep it in sync with the official gameclock. The ESPN clock didn't stop when the gameclock did on the second to last play of the game, hence the 2 second difference, which was corrected by the ESPN crew.
    You are correct. There were actually :07 sec. to go, not 5

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL Defense shines on National TV, FAU fans do not

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCajun
    We could have smoked FAU and it still would have been old news in the morning. I don't see that as a big deal. I remember USC almost losing to Fresno St on TV and I thought "Wow. They dodged a bullet." I didn't start thinking they sucked or they couldn't win the rest of their games or anything. Yeah, it would have been nice to showcase some players and create a little buzz for Babb or Fenroy, but it didn't play out that way.
    I am starting to calm down about last night. Every second that passes makes the W more important, and the method obtained a little less.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: cajuns eta 10 this morning ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewhite
    Don't ask Bil hard questions like that His head will hurt.
    LOL!!!

He is a Legend.

5. UL Football Re: Question re: the Offense

MD is such a threat that his being on the field serves a purpose even when he is not part of the play.

6. UL Football Re: Over - Under

I guess UL is 4-1 now in the over under department.

I think the easy to get used to expectation of going over, might be a contributing factor to the shock of only 6 points.

7. Default Re: UL Defense shines on National TV, FAU fans do not

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More
    Every second that passes makes the W more important, and the method obtained a little less.

Default Re: Question re: the Offense

Quote Originally Posted by OleMissCajunFan
    Ok, I'm going to say a few things up front. First, I did not get to watch the entire game, as I had to be somewhere for 9:15 pm last night. Second, I am originally a Catholic High boy from New Iberia, so my views are a little skewed.

Now, here's my question: I hear that Mike Desermeaux didn't get any playing time on offense last night. Did he get any on defense? Second, I'm not saying he should be in at QB ahead of Babb (I think Babb is a better passer), but I do think that he should be on the field. In my slightly biased opinion, he's way too good of an athelete to sit on the side.

So those are my thoughts and comments, and I would appreciate any feedback from you guys. I wish I could have seen more of the game to formulate my own opinion a little more, but such is life.

And one last thing.I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day. 4 in a row, GEAUX CAJUNS!
    Desormeaux played WR in last nights game

Default Re: UL Defense shines on National TV, FAU fans do not

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More
    I am starting to calm down about last night. Every second that passes makes the W more important, and the method obtained a little less.
    That's the normal "healing" process! It always helps to give it 24 hours after a glorious win, crushing defeat, or even an "ugly" win to see how you really feel. It won't help sugar-coat the painful truth that the offense had a generally poor game. But the bad taste kinda goes away with that sweet taste of victory!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    You are correct. There were actually :07 sec. to go, not 5
    And was that YOUR fault??? AGAIN!!!!!

Default Re: Over - Under

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I guess UL is 4-1 now in the over under department.

I think the easy to get used to expectation of going over, might be a contributing factor to the shock of only 6 points.
    I think there are 2 important reasons to the shock of wednesday's game.

1) we couldn't convert on 3rd down = more time our d had to be on the field

2) we couldn't score a touchdown = No one got to hear Jay say TOUCHDOWN LOUISIANA!!!

If we wouldn've won 10-0 or even 7-0 I'd felt like it was a prettier win. Just the fact that when you were in the redzone and can't score is so disheartening. I don't think its the going over that shocks us, it was that our offense which seemed so impressive earlier had a bad game.

Default What happened to Papa John's?

Some of you may know the answer to this. Last season the first downs were sponsored by Papa Johns Pizza. Every time the cajuns made a first down, Jay would say, "And that's another Papa Johns first down". Nice. This year there is a new sponsor (and I can't remember the name of it). I'm glad that this new company is sponsoring the first downs. However, who is the new sponsor. When Jay says, and there's another {insert sponsor} first down. My head hurts. The new sponsors name doesn't really roll off the tongue in that sentence. I think it's a flower company. Also why doesn't papa johns do the first down anymore. Did they pull out?

13. UL Football Cajuns post first shutout since 2002 with 6-0 victory over Owls

UL's defensive football team picked a good time for one of its best efforts since joining the Sun Belt Conference Wednesday night.

The Cajuns survived its nationally-televised 6-0 victory over Florida Atlantic thanks to a defense that forced five turnovers in the final three quarters, allowed FAU an average of less than 14 yards per drive until a final-minute march and gave up only seven first downs before that final march.

Because of those numbers, UL posted its first shutout since a 34-0 home win over UAB in 2002, its first win under head coach Rickey Bustle. More impressively, the Cajuns shut out an opponent on the road for the first time in 34 years, since a 10-0 win at McNeese State in the 1972 season finale.

"They did what we needed them to do all night," Bustle said of the defense after his team's first-ever road blanking of a Division I-A foe. "They got turnovers, and we were able to keep them (FAU) on their end of the field pretty much the whole game."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Ragin' Cajuns Re: National TV Embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by CajunShocker
    This was not the same offense that drove 85 yds. and chewed up over 7 mins. to beat Houston. I was not at that game, but did listen on the radio, talked to my brother who was at the game, and saw the highlights on TV. They looked like they were trying not to lose.

I don't think I will have to tell a player he gave no effort. I think the coaches have already handled that for me.
    It was exactly the same offense; with exactly the same type of play calls as against Houston. FAU defended it better, and we didn't execute it as well, but it wasn't a different offense.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: What happened to Papa John's?

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    Some of you may know the answer to this. Last season the first downs were sponsored by Papa Johns Pizza. Every time the cajuns made a first down, Jay would say, "And that's another Papa Johns first down". Nice. This year there is a new sponsor (and I can't remember the name of it). I'm glad that this new company is sponsoring the first downs. However, who is the new sponsor. When Jay says, and there's another {insert sponsor} first down. My head hurts. The new sponsors name doesn't really roll off the tongue in that sentence. I think it's a flower company. Also why doesn't papa johns do the first down anymore. Did they pull out?
    I figure its all about the dollars. Maybe this new group offered more ducks than the "poppa" did.?

Z.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst . 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 . LastLast

Thread Information