Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cajuns tabbed third in Sun Belt football preseason poll

1. Default Cajuns tabbed third in Sun Belt football preseason poll

One year ago, UL's football team was unheralded, unrecognized and almost unknown in the Sun Belt Conference poll of the league coaches. The Ragin’ Cajuns were tabbed eighth out of nine teams last August … and responded by improving from 3-9 ...

Default Re: Cajuns tabbed third in Sun Belt football preseason poll

I think the league will be wide open this year. I could see 4-5 teams possibly winning the title. I'd still put ASU ahead of FIU as I think they will have less questions entering the year. If the cajuns can answer some questions on defense, we could easily win this thing as we may have the best offense in the SBC this year. Sleepers this year could be Troy (hard to think they are a sleeper) and ULM (as painful as it is to say it)

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I think the league will be wide open this year. I could see 4-5 teams possibly winning the title. I'd still put ASU ahead of FIU as I think they will have less questions entering the year. If the cajuns can answer some questions on defense, we could easily win this thing as we may have the best offense in the SBC this year. Sleepers this year could be Troy (hard to think they are a sleeper) and ULM (as painful as it is to say it)
    I am not seeing the hype around FIU. They seriously underperformed last year and without Carroll/Hilton, their offense was anemic. They are both gone as well as 2nd WR. Their Defense will keep them in games, but they have a lot of questions on offense in my mind.

WKU without Rainey? What else did they have? I think UL and ASU will be the frontrunners, and like you say, Troy could be in the mix.

4. UL Football Re: Cajuns tabbed third in Sun Belt football preseason poll

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    I am not seeing the hype around FIU. They seriously underperformed last year and without Carroll/Hilton, their offense was anemic. They are both gone as well as 2nd WR. Their Defense will keep them in games, but they have a lot of questions on offense in my mind.

WKU without Rainey? What else did they have? I think UL and ASU will be the frontrunners, and like you say, Troy could be in the mix.
    You and I think a lot alike about FIU. WKU according to BOP yesterday had the best tight end in the league who was not named L Green. The have a stud linebacker named A Jackson.Their coach is out of the Haugbaugh coaching tree and has had great classes. Let us say I am glad we are getting ASU, WKU, and FIU here. Somehow Hud will have to break a really strong streak of 21 season opening home wins for Troy.

I am also glad that we are not listed as the first or second favorite, keeps the boys hungry and P-off.

Carroll was no longer the starter by mid-season. They've lost Hilton but basically return their entire team other than TY. Their defense will be the best in the Sun Belt.

To me, underachieved means you didnt live up to your talent. If that was the case last year w/FIU and everyone is returning, it's no wonder they are picked first.

North Texas should surprise people this year.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I agree with your assessment

Quote Originally Posted by raginWaldo View Post
    North Texas should surprise people this year.
    I don't think that will happen. What are your thought behind that? I think there are too many strong teams at the top for them to do any big damage this year.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    Carroll was no longer the starter by mid-season. They've lost Hilton but basically return their entire team other than TY. Their defense will be the best in the Sun Belt.

To me, underachieved means you didnt live up to your talent. If that was the case last year w/FIU and everyone is returning, it's no wonder they are picked first.
    That freshman QB that came in, after we sidelined Carroll, was very good. FIU gets some talent. I'll never underestimate that group.

I agree with Zephyr in that there are 4 to 5 programs that would not surprise me if they took the conference this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post

No doubt FIU had more talent than they played to last season, but they don't have the heart of this Cajun squad. Heart can only get you so far, but mix in talent, hard work, discipline, & an organized leader who is totally focused & knows how to focus the young men around him & you have the perfect recipe for a champion. This UL squad will win the SBC champioship & become the talk of the college football world THIS season.

we should be kickin the lower half of the conference's butts...especially @ uLm!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    That freshman QB that came in, after we sidelined Carroll, was very good. FIU gets some talent. I'll never underestimate that group.

I agree with Zephyr in that there are 4 to 5 programs that would not surprise me if they took the conference this year.
    The freshman QB was solid, no doubt but one thing is that he was way behind in the passing game. He was a good running threat as they likely had the best rushing attack in the league again or were right there but he struggled passing the ball. I'm sure he will improve into this year but with no big play targets and a QB still learning the passing game, I don't think their offense will be as good even though their defense is supposed to be legit. Like I said before, in the SBC, I'll take a great offense over a great defense any day.

I agree. I also agree about WKU. We have made Jakes look like an all conference QB the last two years. If we can just play disciplined defense, we should take that game. Yes, Andrew Jackson and Jack Doyle are really good players and we will have to account for them but I think we have more firepower, especially losing 65% of their offense. Their defense may be behind FIU's as the best in the league but I think we will have enough to beat them out. I think WKU has a decent year but nothing like last year.

14. UL Football Re: Cajuns tabbed third in Sun Belt football preseason poll

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    No doubt FIU had more talent than they played to last season, but they don't have the heart of this Cajun squad. Heart can only get you so far, but mix in talent, hard work, discipline, & an organized leader who is totally focused & knows how to focus the young men around him & you have the perfect recipe for a champion. This UL squad will win the SBC champioship & become the talk of the college football world THIS season.
    All that said, FIU sucked whithout their main man, and he is gone. They replace him, mature with the talent they have and you can make a case for them. If they do not get and NFL type player at that spot it is hard to predict they will be top dog.

15. Default Re: Cajuns tabbed third in Sun Belt football preseason poll

I ALWAYS look at the negatives that could present themselves and try to fix them before they can occur----Looking back on last year we were very lucky and without going into the games that really could have gone either way---they rolled for us and that luck could or could not be with us this year (Believe me this is not in ANY WAY a knock on damn good coaching, great execution, and physical conditioning and toughness)-----The games we won at home that are now on opponents turf is a factor that is real---------Part of the luck is certainly staying healthy which we did for a very large part last year especially at non-depth positions-----They now have a book on our OFF and DEF coordinators (I cringed when I saw Walker in the game against Monroe and SDSU knowing the screen pass would be called which it was)------Another in the LUCK category No rain at home and the great crowds had NOISE -----I am sure that there are more but next I will point out some really positive things that have a great chance to occur!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information