Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: The Book CC Track & Field 2006-07

1. Default Re: How Was My Editorial?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner
    Did ya'll read/enjoy my op/ed in today's Advertiser?
    Fan-tastic

More, more, more . . .

Default Re: How Was My Editorial?

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cajun
    Nice job Nick. Keep pushing our Cajuns.

We've missed you the last couple of years in our Erath 4th of July Run. Try to make it back next year.

Your race director and fellow alum.
    Skeeter, is that you?

I don't like racing unless I'm in shape, something I haven't been for about 2 years now. Now my wife is due in April, so getting into shape for July could be tough, but hey, maybe I'll give it a shot.

3. Track & Field UL track coaching legends need to be honored

Two names symbolize UL's track and field program: Bob Cole, for those who have been around the program for a long time, and Charles Lancon, for those whose Ragin' Cajun experiences are more recent.

Now both of them are gone, and it's time to put their names where they belong . over the entrance to the Cajuns' track facility just off Bertrand Drive.

Lancon left us in 2002, in the middle of his 13th year as UL's track coach following an already-legendary three-decade career in the local prep ranks.

Cole retired in 1984 after two decades of running the Cajun program, and spent most of his time since then fishing Toledo Bend and tending his gardens until his health deteriorated over the last few weeks.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    Advertiser

4. Track & Field UL Indoor Track Season Underway

BATON ROUGE – The 2007 indoor track and field season began for Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns as the men’s and women’s teams participated in the Purple Tiger Indoor Track and Field Classic Saturday, Jan. 13 at Carl Maddox Fieldhouse.

The Ragin’ Cajuns took abbreviated squads to the meet as only 12 women and 13 men competed in the season opener.

Freshman Constance Robinson had a spectacular debut. The Desoto, Texas, native claimed the championship in the women’s 400-meter dash stopping the clock in 1:01.18, edging out Southern Miss’ Jamaka Wall (1:01.56).

Chiara Obey and India Bell both qualified for the women’s 60-meter hurdles finals. Obey came in 13th (9.78) while Bell was 17th (9.88).

Sophomore Toni Lee gave a great effort for UL in the women’s long jump. Lee came in a close second with a leap of 18-3 1/4. She was right behind Southern Miss’ Ashley May who jumped 18-8 1/2.

On the men’s side Stacey Fuller gave UL another stellar freshman debut. The Dallas product finished in second place in the 400-meter run completing the trek in 50.01 seconds. He was barely bested by Sam Houston’s Michael Courtney who ran in 49.83 seconds.

The Ragin’ Cajuns had Chreston Anderson qualify in the men’s 60-meter dash. Anderson clocked in at 7.03 in the prelims and ran an even 7.00 in the finals, finishing 11th overall.

The Cajuns other Top 10 finish on the men’s side came from sophomore Quenton Jones in the 400-meter dash. Jones was ninth with a time of 52.85.

Luke Moody gave the men’s team a qualifier in the 60-meter hurdles. Moody crossed the finish line in 8.75 seconds during prelims and came back with a time of 8.81 seconds to place 15th in the finals.

The Cajuns had three participants in both the men’s and women’s 3,000-meter run.

Brandon Orso, D.J. Hebert and Phillip Guidry were the men’s representatives with Orso and Hebert each in the Top 20.

The women’s trio included Casey Brown, Callie Picou and Stephanie Harris. Brown posted the best time of any Cajuns runner in the event (men or women) as she finished 11th ending the run in 11:35.54.

The Ragin’ Cajuns will continue their 2007 indoor season Thursday-Friday, Jan. 25-26 as they return to Baton Rouge for the LSU Combined Events (Jan. 25-26) and the Bayou Bengal (Jan. 26).

LOUISIANA SI

5. Track & Field Lady Cajuns Track Competes at LSU Twilight

BATON ROUGE, La.-Louisiana’s Lady Cajuns track and field team competed in the LSU Twilight on Friday.

The women faired well in the field events, with Latoya Celestine finishing second in flight 1 of the long jump with a distance of 5.78 meters.

Constance Robinson placed first in section 4 of the women’s 400-meter dash with a time of 1:00.15, while Lina Futi placed second.

Quantisha Rambo placed sixth in section 1 of the women’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.29 seconds. Chiara Obey finished 2 in section 2 with a time of 9. 46 seconds while India Bell finished third.

Callie Picou placed sixth in section 1 of the 3000-meter run with a time of 11:21.08, and Alix Stelly followed with a close seventh.

The Cajuns men’s and women’s track and field team will compete at the Sun Belt Conference Indoor Meet Saturday, Feb. 24 through Sunday, Feb. 25 In Jonesboro, Ark.

LOUISIANA SI

6. Track & Field Ragin' Cajuns Track at LSU Twilight

BATON ROUGE, La. - Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns track and field team competed in the LSU Twilight on Friday.

The men’s field events produced the biggest wins for the Cajuns with Justin Arceneaux finishing second in flight 1 of the long jump with a distance of 6.86 meters. Joseph Dickens finished third in flight 1 of the triple jump with a distance of 14.32 meters.

Arceneaux also competed in section 1 of the 60-meter dash and placed third with a time of 6.90 seconds.

Roderick Houston finished first in section 4 of the 200-meter dash with a time of 23. 46 seconds while Quenton Jones finished third with a time of 23.53 seconds.

Luke Moody posted a time of 8.68 seconds in section 2 of the 60-meter hurdles to finish in fifth place.

DJ Hebert finished sixth in section 2 of the 3000-meter run with a time of 2:08.99.

The Cajuns men’s and women’s track and field team will compete at the Sun Belt Conference Indoor Meet Saturday, Feb. 24 through Sunday, Feb. 25 In Jonesboro, Ark.

LOUISIANA SI

7. Track & Field Cajuns Track Completes Day 1 of Indoor Conference Meet

JONESBORO, Ark.- Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns men’s and women’s track and field teams completed day one of the 2007 Sun Belt Conference Indoor Championships on Saturday.

The Cajuns were well represented in the women’s 3000-meter run, with three Cajuns finishing in the top four. Callie Picou led the way with a second place finish with a time of 11:14.17. Suzane Boudreaux finished third while Stephanie Harris finished fourth. Ashley Faulk finished sixth.

Quantisha Rambo finished 10th in the women’s 55-meter hurdles.

Justin Arceneaux was one of the top men’s finishers of the day after placing first in heat 1 of the men’s 55-meter prelims recording a time of 6.40 seconds.

Arceneaux also finished first in section 2 of the men’s long jump with a distance of 6.99 meters. Patrick Reid also competed in the event recording a jump of 5.70 meters.

Joby Gisclair finished fifth in the men’s 3000-meter run with a time of 9:25.19. Freshman Brent Almand earned a sixth place finish with a time of 9:52.67.

Alexander Wiltz finished sixth in the men’s shot put with a throw of 11.52 meters.

Chance Perkins represented the Cajuns in the men’s heptathlon finishing seventh with 2450 points.

Junior Kyle Ward finished second in heat 1 of the men’s 55-meter hurdles preliminaries with a time of 7.56 seconds.

Toni Lee and Chiara Obey finished fourth and fifth respectively in heat one of the women’s 55-meter prelims. Lee posted a time of 7.45 seconds while Obey finished with a time of 7. 92 seconds.

Jamie Blue finished fifth in heat one of the women’s 400-meter preliminaries after posting a time of 1:01.91.

Jazmin Greer, Rambo and Blue competed in the 200-meter dash preliminaries. Greer had the best finish with a time of 26.04 seconds.

Andree Bonvillain finished sixth in the pole vault with a height of 3.35 meters while Kelli Hebert finished 10th.

Readeaux finished fourth in heat 2 of the women’s long jump with a jump of 5.43 meters.

Freshman Stacey Fuller finished fourth in heat 1 of the men’s 400-meter prelims, posting a time of 50.51 seconds. Quenton Jones followed with a fifth place finish with a time of 51.43 seconds.

Nathan Cormier finished sixth in heat 3 of the men’s 800-meter preliminaries with a time of 2:05.44.

The Sun Belt Conference Championships will conclude Sunday, Feb. 25.

LOUISIANA SI

8. Track & Field Arceneaux a bright spot in poor Cajun outing

JONESBORO, Ark. - Lafayette's Justin Arceneaux came within an eyelash of winning the title of fastest man in the Sun Belt Conference Sunday.

Instead, he had to settle for the best individual performance by a UL athlete in the first conference meet of his career, the league's Indoor Track and Field Championships that concluded Sunday at Arkansas State.

Arceneaux, a product of Northside High, was the runner-up in the 55-meter dash with a 6.36 time. Middle Tennessee's Orlando Reid was also timed at 6.36, but Reid was declared the winner by a photo-determined finish.

Arceneaux, who had the fastest time in Saturday's 55-meter preliminaries with a 6.40, added that effort to his fourth-place finish in Saturday's long jump finals with a 22-11 1/4 leap. Those outings gave him 13 points, almost half of the Cajuns' 27-point total in the men's competition.

The rest of the story

Default Re: Arceneaux a bright spot in poor Cajun outing

UL's current Tack and Field program is an embarrassment!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed
    UL's current Tack and Field program is an embarrassment!
    Well considering it is not funded by the University and can not even pay 3 full time coaches what do you expect. i would like to see you try and give the individual attention each track athlete needs to excell at this level when you only have one full time assistant and a part time distance coach. It can not get done.

Why is the track program not funded by the university?

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888
    Why is the track program not funded by the university?
    $$$

Quote Originally Posted by cajun nation
    Well considering it is not funded by the University and can not even pay 3 full time coaches what do you expect. i would like to see you try and give the individual attention each track athlete needs to excell at this level when you only have one full time assistant and a part time distance coach. It can not get done.
    I was done when Lancon and Badon were here in the early 90's!!!

Track & Field The state of UL Track

A quick review:

-In 2004 UL's track team was the Sun Belt Conference Indoor Runner-up on the men’s side (Veazey was first year head coach riding on the coat tails of Charlie Lancon's runners)

-In 2006 (2 years after Veazey took over) UL's track team dropped from being 2nd overall (2004) to second from last (9th place out of 10 teams) in indoor track on the men’s side, the women finished LAST. In outdoor track, both the men’s AND the women’s teams finished LAST!

-Now, 2007 indoor track, the men’s AND women’s teams finished DEAD LAST!

The upcoming outdoor track season looks promisingto finish LAST on both the men’s and women’s side again!

Every year the team has gotten worse since Veazey took over the program. The program has become a joke; they are the laughing stock of the Sun Belt Conference. This is a team that used to be highly respected and did well year after year. It is now a big joke.

So, who's to blame here? Of course the athletes have to hold themselves responsible. But at what point in time do we hold the coaches responsible? In my opinion, when you have 99% of your athletes running slower than they did in high school after 1-3 years in the college system, there is something TERRIBLY wrong with the coaching staff. I have taken a few of the current UL track and field athletes, and found their best times/jumps/throws from high school and compared them to how they are currently doing while competing for UL. (I took these names at random from the current roster).

Name/ High School/ HS best time & Event/ Current time at SB Conference Meet

Stephanie Harris/St. Michaels/ 10:46 3k/ 11:31 3k
    Stacey Fuller/ Dallas Skyline/ 49.12 400m/ 50.51 400m
    Constance Robinson/ DeSoto/ 57.54 400m/ 59.52 400m
    Brent Almand/ The Woodlands/ 15:36 5k/ 17:18 5k
    Brandon Orso/ Denham Springs/ 16:14 5k (cross country) / 16:21 5k (track)
    Jazmin Greer/ Dallas Skyline/ 24.68 200m/ 26:04 200m
    Callie Picou/ Walker/ 18:44 5k/ 19:50 5k

This is just a few of the UL runners that are currently performing MUCH WORSE than they did in high school. I can list many more as I have them written down.

Not only are UL track and field athletes not running faster than they did in high school, they are less competitive. For example

Jamie Blue finished 25th out of 27 runners in the 400m run and finished 34th out of 36 runners in the 200m run.

Stacey Enright finished 14th out of 17 runners in the 1 mile run.

Tiffany Saltzman finished 26th out of 26 runners in the 800m run.

Ashley Faulk finished 19th out of 21 runners in the 3k run and 23rd out of 27 runners in the 5k run, just ahead of teammates Suzanne Boudreaux and Stephanie Harris which finished 24th and 26th out of the 27 runners in the 5k.

India Bell and Chiara Obey finished 27th and 28th in the 55m dash out of the 28 runners.

On the men's side.
    Joey Wynn, Quenton Jones, and Tramaine Cosey finished 19th, 20th, and 21st in the 400m dash out of 24 runners.

The men's 4x400m relay team finished 6th out of the 7 teams that finished the race.

Obviously SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!!! There was a similar thread like this last year, saying that something needed to be done. Nothing was done and the team finished worse this year. The program is a complete embarrassment to this university. I do not understand why there is not a coaching change! From what I have heard, Lance Veazey spends the majority of his day surfing myspace and facebook while he should be recruiting new athletes and coaching his current athletes.

Lance Veazey (along with the part time distance coach who works at a local elementary school) needs to be FIRED RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!

I HOPE that Lance Veazey and Tim Lemaire read this. I hope that the UL athletic department reads this. I hope that the UL track athletes read this. I hope for these things because obviously most of these people are blind to the fact that our track program is A PIECE OF CRAP! Something needs to be done.NOW! Fire Lance Veazey and his staff, hire a coach who knows ANYTHING about track and field, that will instill discipline (which seems to be a major missing component) and I'm certain the program will be back to where it SHOULD BE and WAS before Lance took over. If the appropriate measures are taken, the UL track team can turn itself around and re-establish itself as a Sun Belt powerhouse.

Dead last should NOT be an option. Lance and his staff seem to care less that they finished lastAGAIN!!!!! The sad thing is, it seems that they have corrupted their athletes into thinking that last place is an acceptable option!

Veazey, you should be FIRED!

-E.M.

Default Re: UL Track- It's SO sad!

What ever happened to Carl Lawson?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information