Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Louisiana's Recruiting

1. Default

Originally posted by snote
    i just heard ben with ESPN1420 radio announce the #18 committment Ricky Thomas 6' 0" 210 DB Juco out of Butler JC (Kansas)

UL Football

Larry Thomas is a 6-0,195 DB from Butler JC.He was second team All-JayHawk Conference and he also returned punts for a 13.3 avg.1TD.He is a good athlete according to some fans that watched football in the JayHawk conference.

UL Football Ricky Thomas

http://www.iowastate.rivals.com/view.p?pr_key=13247

Looks like some BigXII schools were looking at him. Sounds like a great player. Will he be a CB or a S?

Welcome aboard Ricky Thomas

5. Default Cajuns gets verbal pledge from JC cornerbacker

Advertiser-Dan McDonald

LAFAYETTE -- Louisiana's defensive secondary got an immediate boost for the 2003 football season Thursday.

Cornerback Ricky Thomas, a two-time All-Jayhawk Conference selection at Butler Community College in Kansas, became the Ragin' Cajuns' 13th football commitment of the season as a mid-term signee.

The six-foot, 200-pounder will also get a jump on preparations for the upcoming season, as he'll enroll at the university for the spring semester and go through spring drills.

"Coach (Gary) Bartel told me that I'd have a good chance to start and play right away,' Thomas said Thursday form his Miami, Fla., home, "so I'm glad I'll get to do spring practice there.'

Thomas is the Cajuns' third junior college commitment and the second mid-term signee. He is also the 10th defensive player among the 13 commitments.

Thomas visited the UL Lafayette campus in early December.

"I really wanted to come south,' he said, "and I liked the community, the coaches and the program when I was there.'

The rest of the story

6. Default

RICKY THOMAS 2002

CategoryQuantityYdsAvgTDLong
    PUNT RETURNS2531812.7184
    INTERCEPTIONS4328132
    FUMBLE RETURNS11010110

UL Football

It's possible that Coach would sign a JC Qb,but not likely.It's more of a possibility that he may sign two highschool QB's.Holmes may be a prop,but it is possible he may be a partial.In that case he can practice with the team and not loose a year.

As for Rb's,Knockum is the target,the Cajuns had offered him very early in the season.Levier is not a Div.1 RB and is only the third best senior on that squad.If the Cajuns take a chance on a prop from that team,I hope it's White.

Travis Cones has 4.5 speed and can play some RB also in our offense.At 5-11,225 he is more of a threat out of the FB position then the rest.His senior year in highschool,he rushed for 1500 yrds.He gives them something extra at FB they lacked last year.

8. Default

Originally posted by CAJUNGURU
    As for Rb's,Knockum is the target,the Cajuns had offered him very early in the season. Levier is not a Div.1 RB and is only the third best senior on that squad.If the Cajuns take a chance on a prop from that team,I hope it's White.
    I don't know so I will ask. In your view is the drawback on Levier size, speed, or what?

9. UL Football JUCO & HS Recruits

Originally posted by CAJUNGURU
    It's possible that Coach would sign a JC Qb,but not likely.It's more of a possibility that he may sign two highschool QB's.Holmes may be a prop,but it is possible he may be a partial.In that case he can practice with the team and not loose a year.

As for Rb's,Knockum is the target,the Cajuns had offered him very early in the season.Levier is not a Div.1 RB and is only the third best senior on that squad.If the Cajuns take a chance on a prop from that team,I hope it's White.

Travis Cones has 4.5 speed and can play some RB also in our offense.At 5-11,225 he is more of a threat out of the FB position then the rest.His senior year in highschool,he rushed for 1500 yrds.He gives them something extra at FB they lacked last year.
    The big ragoo hears that Bustle wants an athletic JUCO QB due to Rekieta's elbow surgery (which will sideline him until the summer). If Rekieta can't come back, that leaves you with Babb and JVC. You know you can't win with JVC so you need another guy. That means JUCO is the way to go. I think they'll find a guy out of a California JUCO. Holmes will not be a qualifier (Prop or partial, it doesn't matter), so you won't get any help this coming year from him. You've also got to hope that he makes it through freshman year and gets eligible. I think that Bustle would like to get 2 high school QBs and a JUCO QB, with one of the QBs being Holmes. Now if Bustle could get Devin Williams, Damion Carter, or Dwane Banister, he might not feel like he's got to go get a JUCO QB. Those guys could get some snaps for you in my humble but correct opinion.

Bustle will only get 3-4 props (Eli, Holmes, Jackson & Broussard). The only two RBs that the Cajuns are on is Knockum and Levier. Levier might be the 3rd best player at Port Barre, but Bustle thinks he's a D1-A RB. He ought to know, he recruited Suggs, Jones, and Oxendine at Va Tech and those guys aren't too shabby. If we don't get Knockum or Levier, I don't see us taking a RB. Besides, we already have Chester Johnson, Rix, Lindon and Josh Harrison at tailback. If Jerome Coleman makes it back he'll be a fullback. Cones is a FB who can catch and is a tough guy. He's not good enough to play tailback though. He is good enough to play in our system, because there's only 1 running play for the fullbacks in our offense, the belly play. He was brought in to be a run blocker and catch some balls out of the backfield. Wayne Stein knows the protections and routes cold. He will get snaps because he doesn't make mental busts and is a good pass protector. Anthony Prater will get 10-15 snaps a game at fullback as well.

UL Football

Good post Ragoo!If coach believes Levier is a good back,then I would except his opinion.I watched Port Barre and Francis was clearly the best athlete,with White not far behind.White was named All-State def.MVP.Unfortunatley the kid has grade problems and is not a great character.So I would not be too upset that coach does not want to take a chance on him.Devin Williams has big school dreams and has grown cold on the Cajuns or so the story is out of Texas.Carter or Banister would not be bad at all to sign.S.Miss has Carter in their sights and Tech wants Banister.So coach and staff will have to work hard on both of those kids.

As for a JC QB,if coach wants to sign one,that's great.Anytime you can add depth to your program,you do it.I don't have any sources in JC,so I hope you are correct in your opinion.I do know of several Miss.JC OL that are looking at the Cajuns.I hope we get one of these guys to add to our depth.I'm not sure who you are talking about when you say ELI,but Jackson is a risk also.He is a great talent and if he had his score,he could play in alot of places.Do you think coach wants him at WR or DB?Broussard,I really don't know about him.I spoke to him at the UAB game and Leger as well.both were very positive,but Broussard could do what Vincent did this year at LSU.He could not enroll and take his test again.Then he could sign next year with LSU.We will see what happens.In any case,I think coach is trying to make this program as competative as he can quickly.Something Baldwin just didn't get.

UL Football

Turbine,Levier is about 5-11,195 lbs.So I don't think it's size or speed.Francis clearly was more impressive then Levier and may be it was because he didn't get alot of carries in that game.But I picture Levier more of a Southern recruit,then SunBelt.I think you pass on Levier this year when you have the kid at Comeaux and Patterson that are better.You sign one of them next year.But that's my opinion.

12. UL Football Props

Guru,

The big ragoo thinks that you let Jackson play whatever he wants if he comes, but you try to steer him to WR so he can make plays and get in the zone. We've got a lack of depth, speed, and proven playmakers at WR if something were to happen to Fred Stamps. Kemmie Lewis is instant help and Bill Sampy is getting better. As far as Broussard is concerned, the big ragoo could take him or leave him. He'll probably end up being a fullback. I know he doesn't want to go to JUCO, and he wants to go to LSU. To me you don't beg a kid to come here, flashbacks of the Peterson kid from West Monroe keep popping into the big ragoo's mind. He's a local kid and if he wants to come then you take him.

Props are a different breed of cat. Some turn out great and some turn sour. Dwight Lindon is a perfect example of a Prop that comes in, studies, works out and contributes as a Soph. Baldwin had many examples of Props not working out quite as well, however. I think that is why Bustle will not take too many props, only 2-3 local kids only a year. You really have to stay after them all year, which is hard because they are not allowed to be involved in any team functions, except study hall and meals.

You make some good points about the juniors that are out there at RB. If we don't get Knockum or Levier, we could always use that scholarship next December for another JUCO player that could come in next Spring. Then we could get a couple RBs with scholarships from graduating players. I don't think we would lose anything by not signing a RB this year. I think we really need another 1-2 WRs though. I only think we will take 1 JUCO OL and we really need a LT due to Raush graduating. We seem to have a lot of widebody guard, center type guys. We need a tall JUCO tackle that can start at tackle for us. We also need some more DT help, May JUCO guys and high school kids.

On a sidenote, I hear that a lot of people are working to get together a big recruiting party on signing day. Supposedly it will be bigger and better than last year.

UL Football

I think you are correct about Jackson Ragoo.I think Wr is his best position and with his height would create serious matchup problems for DB's.In regards to Levier,I do think you pass on him this year.Coach stated that they were going to recruit linemen and take extra even if they were marginal at best.The only way they would take a skilled player over a linemen is if he was a difference maker.

As for Broussard,I will have to disagree with you on him.I don't see him as a fullback anywhere he attends school.Broussard is big,but what seperates him from a back like Tasmin Knockum is his speed.His has the ability to run over and around people.That ability to hit a second gear is what made him a national recruit.Backs like that are not very plentiful.He reminds me very much of McAlister.Knockum is very similar to Coleman,he may be the one that is moved to FB eventually.My only concern is Broussards abiltiy as a student.If we indeed got him to come here,could he stay eligible after we get him in school?Chances are ,probably not.I don't think he is as bad a student as Narcisse from St.Martinville.

14. UL Basketball Junior college pair signs with Louisiana

Advocate-WILLIAM WEATHERS

University of Louisiana football coach Rickey Bustle continued to follow a trend of seeking immediate help in hopes of rejuvanating his program.

The Ragin' Cajuns added two more junior college signees -- the sixth and seventh overall -- during the signing period for junior college players with the addition of wide receiver Kemmie Lewis of Jones (Miss.) Junior College and defensive back Ricky Thomas of Butler (Kan.) Community College.

They will both enroll for the spring semester and take part in spring drills with the Ragin' Cajuns.

UL also has a total of 11 commitments from high school prospects.

"They were really one of the only schools that offered me," said Jones, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound native of Collins, Miss. "But it was really a easy choice because it's close to home (approximately three hours away) and I really liked the coaching staff."

Jones, a two-year starter with 45 catches for 700 yards as a sophomore, signed with UL after canceling visits to North Carolina, Baylor and Mississippi State. He was an honorable mention All-Region 23 selection.

Jones also started for two years at Collins High at wide receiver, but enrolled at Jones after failing to achieve a satisfactory ACT score.

"I'm going to get in there and work hard and try to learn," Jones said. "I know they're looking for help and I feel I could be a big part in helping them turn around things. I know they're looking for experience and I'm a guy who can bring that. I'm comfortable with that."

The rest of the story

15. Default

Impressive thread as well.

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 . LastLast

Thread Information