Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2003 Louisiana's Recruiting

1. Default

Originally posted by cajun37
    I know everyone is excited that Bustle has gotten a lot of early verbal commitments. What concerns me is that most are from out of state. In my opinion to build a good program the large majority of the recruits should be from in state. Out of state players seem to leave the program faster than in state players. In state players seem to stay and develop in their Soph., Jr. And sr. Years. If you remember when Archer and Hallman were recruiting a lot of out of state players LSU went downhill. I am interested in hearing what you think about UL's recruiting.
    When you are reaching for respectability it's like the prophet who goes without honor in his own town but is respected else where.

Currently many local kids don't recognize the jewel that is in their own back yard.

Once they see kids from other states adopting UL as their own, the local kids will want to play for UL just like they did in the late 60's.

2. Default

Originally posted by ISUCajunfan
    Looks like my Cajun's beat out my Cyclones for one. Congrats!
    Thanks. You win both ways. Were you aware tht the Cyclones were interested in Eddie McCray?

Relationships with coaches are built up over time. Coach Bartel already has relationships with the texas coaches. Baldwin ignored the local schools and never visited. Louisiana will be a focal point in the next few years.

Out of state recruits are exactly what UL needs right now.

I do not care where they come from as long as they can play

6. UL Football Spann is 11th Cajun football commitment

Advertisers-Dan McDonald

LAFAYETTE - Antoine Spann met Louisiana head football coach Rickey Bustle for the first time two weeks ago.

"He seemed like a cool dude," said Spann, a six-foot, 185-pound defensive back at Mississippi Gulf Coast Junior College. "He was honest with me, straight-forward. I liked that."

Spann liked it so much that he gave Bustle and the Ragin' Cajun program a verbal commitment Sunday, becoming the 11th player to commit to the Cajuns and the first junior college commitment.

Spann, a native of Oceanside, Calif., will graduate from the Perkinston, Miss., school in May. He came to the area to attend junior college since his parents are originally from Gulfport and his grandmother still lives there.

The Mississippi Gulf Coast staff and head coach Bill Lee were happy with that decision, since Spann twice earned all-region and all-state junior college honors. His teams went 3-6 his freshman year and 4-5 this past season.

The rest of the story

I wasn't aware that the Clones were on him, however, every year the Clones seem to sign a couple players that no one's heard of, and a few times, they've turned out to be the best players we sign. Lord knows the Clones could use the help on the D-line, hopefully we can pull a different Texan d-lineman and I can win twice!

8. Default

POPLARVILLE Five Pearl River Community College football standouts have committed to Division 1A programs for the 2003 season.

Wide receiver Donovan Morgan of New Orleans is headed for the University of Mississippi in Oxford, while defensive lineman Darryl Blappert of Slidell and linebacker Joseph Scott of Hattiesburg High have committed to Louisiana-Lafayette in Lafayette, La. Linebacker T.J. Jackson of Columbia High and defensive lineman James Atkins of Hattiesburg High have committed to Louisiana Tech in Ruston, La.

. . .

Blappert (6-foot-7, 275 pounds) finished this past season with 59 total tackles sixth-best on the team including 16 solo stops and 43 assists. He also returned one of his two fumble recoveries for an 80-yard touchdown. He earned All-Region XXIII and All-State honors and was the recipient of his team's Defensive Lineman Award.

Scott (6-foot-3, 240 pounds) finished the season tied for third on the team in tackles with 65 (21 solos, 44 assists). He earned All-State honorable mention status this past season.

The rest of the story

UL Football Spann

Here's a little info on Spann. It's kind of dated.but they do seem to think pretty highly of him.
    P.S. This is my first attempt at posting a link, so it might not work.

http://www.iowastate.rivals.com/view.p?pr_key=13947

Spann was an all state selection as a senior at El Camino (Calif) High. Rivals gives him 3 stars.

I heard Jay Walker say that the Cajuns have a # 13

Chris Clark 6' 6" 265 OL from McDONOGH 35 out of New Orleans

11. Default

Originally posted by snote
    I heard Jay Walker say that the Cajuns have a # 13

Chris Clark 6' 6" 265 OL from McDONOGH 35 out of New Orleans
    That is great size, at a crucial position.

travis ferquson skyline h.s. out of dallas
    DT, 6-2 280

oh what the heck (sshh not wanting to scare away the red stick wr)
    kimmy lewis juco wr

Default Travis Ferguson

DT out of Dallas Skyline high school. Played on a great Defensive line headed up by Steven Coleman who committed to Oklahoma. Here's a bio and a little on him.http://www.iowastate.rivals.com/view.sp?pr_key=8667

15. Default

Blappert is Cajuns' 11th football commitment
    Dan McDonald / Staff Writer

LAFAYETTE - Darryl Blappert has already helped resurrect one football program, and he thought it would be fun to do it again.

The 6-foot-6, 265-pound defensive tackle, a preseason junior college All-America pick this year at Pearl River in Poplarville, Miss., gave a verbal commitment to the UL Lafayette program and coach Rickey Bustle over the weekend.

Blappert, who will enroll at UL Lafayette in January and go through spring drills with the Ragin' Cajuns, had been recruited by Memphis, Temple, Marshall and San Jose State as well as getting inquiries from powers such as Nebraska and Oklahoma.

"The program there is kind of like it was at Pearl River," said Blappert, who became the Cajuns' 11th verbal commitment. "We came in there and they hadn't won in a long time, and the first year there we went 7-2 and just missed the playoffs. It was exciting being a part of that, and I kind of wanted to be a part of it again."

The rest of the story

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread Information