Thread: Regarding the starter in the circle for Game #2 .

1. UL Softball Regarding the starter in the circle for Game #2 .

I like the plan set forth going into the super-regional. You throw Wallace out there, keeping the ASU hitters off balance with her movement and utilizing her command. You throw Brignac in Game #2 . because ASU is going to see a somewhat different type of pitcher less than 24 hours later. It is not altogether different than in baseball when you have one type of arm followed by a pitcher with different stuff (whether in the same game or the following game). It is also similar to that of a pitcher getting a batter's eyes trained one way (throwing down and in . or the rise ball high) and then following with something low, outside, and off the plate. You do not let the opposition's eyes get comfortable with too much of the same type of pitch/pitching. You change it up . whether it is the location/velocity/spin/break or type of pitcher.

And in an alternative universe where the Cajuns would need a Game #3 . you come back with Wallace . and once again, Brignac helps in that she changed the tone/look in the circle in Game #2. The Sun Devil hitters would be less prone to honing in on Wallace's pitches in that follow-on game.

Personally, I think ASU made a mistake in not attempting to see more pitches from Wallace. Too many one pitch and two pitch at-bats. It is difficult to get comfortable as a hitter, especially when you are doing nothing with the few pitches you are seeing.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Personally, I think ASU made a mistake in not attempting to see more pitches from Wallace. Too many one pitch and two pitch at-bats. It is difficult to get comfortable as a hitter, especially when you are doing nothing with the few pitches you are seeing.

Brian
    Brian,
    This is probably what surprised me most about last night. It almost seemed to me like ASU's hitters were overconfident. They thought they could just go up there, hack away, and connect.

They didn't even take time to learn the strike zone, to know which pitches to be aggressive on. They swung high, low, outside, inside. Almost didn't matter what Jordan threw. Like they had a 9:00 plane to catch or something and wanted to get the game over with in a hurry.

It was strange. Ian Levine even asked the ASU manager about being so aggressive at the plate, and he basically gave a verbal shoulder shrug as if to say, "i don't really know what I'm doing. I recruit big hitters and let them swing. I have no plan to adapt. So we'll see what happens." Well, we saw what happens. I really think ASU has no plan and they're in big trouble. That's what it seemed like to me.

Think Escabido (sp?) pitches tonight in game 2?

Default Re: Regarding the starter in the circle for Game #2 .

I cant see them not throwing Bach tonight.

Default Re: Regarding the starter in the circle for Game #2 .

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    Brian,
    This is probably what surprised me most about last night. It almost seemed to me like ASU's hitters were overconfident. They thought they could just go up there, hack away, and connect.

They didn't even take time to learn the strike zone, to know which pitches to be aggressive on. They swung high, low, outside, inside. Almost didn't matter what Jordan threw. Like they had a 9:00 plane to catch or something and wanted to get the game over with in a hurry.

It was strange. Ian Levine even asked the ASU manager about being so aggressive at the plate, and he basically gave a verbal shoulder shrug as if to say, "i don't really know what I'm doing. I recruit big hitters and let them swing. I have no plan to adapt. So we'll see what happens." Well, we saw what happens. I really think ASU has no plan and they're in big trouble. That's what it seemed like to me.

Think Escabido (sp?) pitches tonight in game 2?
    I am wondering if the first time we played them their game plan was to take a bunch of pitches and figure her out . that didn't work so they changed it up. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I am wondering if the first time we played them their game plan was to take a bunch of pitches and figure her out . that didn't work so they changed it up. Just a thought.
    After a 5 pitch inning and a 6 pitch inning, I'd think they might change their game plan. Apparently, Mr. Announcer Guy thought so, too. ASU seemed disinterested in changing their gameplan. I'm OK with that.

Thread Information