Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ragin' Cajuns Baseball looks to next year

1. Default Ragin' Cajuns Baseball looks to next year

While eight other Sun Belt Conference schools prepare for the league tournament that gets under way today in Bowling Green, Ky., UL looks ahead. Having failed to qualify for the tourney for the first time since 2001 after a last-place finish in .

2. Ragin' Cajuns Re: Ragin' Cajuns Baseball looks to next year

Yes it was a bad year for the Cajuns and yes they did come in last in batting average for the conference but before we continue negative comments (as I have seen on recent postings) on a coach and "young" team and the need to get the "bats going" for next year let's look at the statistics:

The UL batting averages in conference play in order of ranking of all individual conference stats (www.sunbeltsports.org):

4th - Compton .352 - So
    15th - Leonards .322 - So
    17th - Conrad .320 - Fr
    38th - Girouard .284 - RS Fr
    54th - Butler .254 - Fr

Hmmm all Freshman and Sophomores.

If you calculate the conference batting average of the above returning players it comes to .297 which is above the conference leader FIU at .294. So I do not believe youngness was the problem with our batting average.

With the pitching we have returning next year as well as the return of Chase Traffica and Strentz I personnally think this young team has a great future ahead of them.

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Baseball looks to next year

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan2012 View Post
    Yes it was a bad year for the Cajuns and yes they did come in last in batting average for the conference but before we continue negative comments (as I have seen on recent postings) on a coach and "young" team and the need to get the "bats going" for next year let's look at the statistics:

The UL batting averages in conference play in order of ranking of all individual conference stats (www.sunbeltsports.org):

4th - Compton .352 - So
    17th - Conrad .320 - Fr
    54th - Butler .254 - Fr

If you calculate the conference batting average of the above returning players it comes to .297 which is above the conference leader FIU at .294. So I do not believe youngness was the problem with our batting average.

With the pitching we have returning next year as well as the return of Chase Traffica and Strentz I personnally think this young team has a great future ahead of them.

Excellent post!

One questionI know Strentz played a little at the beginning of the season. Will he be able to get the year back?

It's RBI's that concern me. Yes average is important, but to me it's about driving runners in when it matters the most. We have had multiple games where we had 8,9, even 10 hits and 1 or 2 runs. So to be honest.that's alot of meaningless hits. And that also means we stranded baserunners without driving them in. IMO, it's way past time for us to become physical at the plate and stick balls in the gap. With the exception of butler, compton, and maybe strentzI don't see a whole lot of RBI producers in the lineup for next year. It's easier said than done, but that's what's gotta happen. Players need to get much better in order to compete because this program has been left behind for the past few seasons in our own conference.

From what I understand Strentz gets that year back yes.

6. This is a GREAT IDEA Re: Ragin' Cajuns Baseball looks to next year

4th - Compton .352 - So
    17th - Conrad .320 - Fr
    54th - Butler .254 - Fr

Having said all that, will we be young again next year, and if so and we knock the snot out of the ball and win say 38 games, can we forever kill the youth, and it takes time to create chemisty threads? Really it probably does take quality upper classmen to do well in baseball as a whole, but due to the baseball draft, you will always be young and rebuilding chemistry if your teams are any good.

When you have a bunch of seniors who have a bunch of errors, base running mistakes, low batting average, and failure to hit at cruical moments you got a bunch of limited players regardless of age. I am ready to see some youth that are good, like these guys.

It's always been RBI's that concern me, but when you play small ball and take the bat out of player's hands, you will get limited RBI's.

4th - Compton .352 - So
    17th - Conrad .320 - Fr
    54th - Butler .254 - Fr

Good Post. However, turnover in the roster seems to always squelch the excitement for the next season.
    I am curious about the exit interviews. Who is leaving? and Who is leaving on their terms? and Who is leaving on Tony's terms?

My dark horse early pick for gap power next season is Logan Preston. Didn't quiiiite catch up to the D1 pitching this year, but when he does, I think he will be a beast.

9. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Baseball looks to next year

And so I now ask for a potential starting line-up with any transfers that ya'll might know about----BTW anymore Butlers coming???

Boomer -

As a former coach you must surely know that attempting to say a starting line-up without seeing a kid play fall ball yet is a pretty pointless exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Boomer -

As a former coach you must surely know that attempting to say a starting line-up without seeing a kid play fall ball yet is a pretty pointless exercise.
    Not to mention that they are not done signing yet. They will add several late signees to the 2012 Class.

Well, the YOUNG excuse can only get so much mileage because we weren't YOUNG last year and got embarrassed at the
    SBC tournament. So, as much as i think that we do have some talent, we definately have some problems in good old
    fundamental preperation. Way to many baserunning mistakes. I don't feel like we need to be a senior laden team to practice
    good defense and baserunning skills, I've seen to many youth teams execute . Communication on the bases is lacking.
    Also, if you have a good program, it should never drop to last , that means that you didn't look to the future. Now , we have to re-build that reputation. Can we do it ? of course, but it shouldn't happen. I'm not ready to pull the plug on Tony, but there are alot of areas that need improving besides playing with elder classmen.

13. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Baseball looks to next year

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Not to mention that they are not done signing yet. They will add several late signees to the 2012 Class.
    --------Speaking of guys not signed yet----Wonder if some can see themselves being able to come in and play early because of our poor record and lack of talent that we displayed this past year???????? And when they see the results in the past and the attendance-----UL becomes a pretty good place to do a career!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Boomer -

and before the turnover dominos start to fall. Pointless.

Cajun T or Parrot: Does anyone know what happened to the kid we got from Dallas last year that was originally committed to Tulane?

Don't overlook the "volunteer" coach that we don't have anymore. Significant loss in my mind. While his body of work is very small, the guy knew the in's and out's of the game and teaches fundamentals better than most in the business. I think he was a loss this season to the program

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information