View Poll Results: What mascot would you like to see Louisiana use?

Voters
178. This poll is closed
  • Louisiana Red Bull Gator

96 53.93%
  • English Bulldog

17 9.55%
  • Catahoula Leopard Hound

24 13.48%
  • Cayenne the Pepper

17 9.55%
  • Bud Man

4 2.25%
  • Cajun Chicken

20 11.24%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6

Thread: Poll - BullGator Mascot/Spirit Leader

Default Re: BullGator Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    CajunFan64 gave me permission to play around with his "Mascot idea" Fideaux

All I did was feed him the Pepper . . .
    1) Ragin' Cajuns is unique, and powerful. One of the reasons it is powerful, is precisely because it is unique.

So why would we want to copy Florida's mascot?

2) Why was the brown pelican left off of the poll? Were you afraid of tough competition?

It's the state bird.

And consider this:
    Michigan is The Wolverine State, Iowa is The Hawkeye State, Texas is The Longhorn State, Oklahoma is The Sooner State, Tennessee is The Volunteer State, North Carolina is The Tarheel State, Nebraska is The Cornhusker State, Ohio is The Buckeye State, Kansas is The Jayhawk State, Arkansas is The Razorback State.

And Louisiana is The Pelican State.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: BullGator Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ 1) Ragin' Cajuns is unique, and powerful. One of the reasons it is powerful, is precisely because it is unique.

2) Why was the brown pelican left off of the poll? Were you afraid of tough competition?

It's the state bird.

And consider this:
    Michigan is The Wolverine State, Iowa is The Hawkeye State, Texas is The Longhorn State, Oklahoma is The Sooner State, Tennessee is The Volunteer State, North Carolina is The Tarheel State, Nebraska is The Cornhusker State, Ohio is The Buckeye State, Kansas is The Jayhawk State, Arkansas is The Razorback State.

And Louisiana is The Pelican State. _
    Brown Pelican or the Red Bull Gator would be my choice. There is the as you have said Fun the Tulane White Pelican which would be as simular as the Red Bull Gator is to the Florida Gator.

Differences are RED Bull Gators color and his rules the nest! Brown Pelican as you stated is native to the Gulf Cost salt water region and it the Louisiana State bird. How many Tigers are there compared to Gators and Pelicans? I do not see how we could geaux wrong with either the Bull Gator or the Brown Pelican!

3. Default Re: BullGator Mascot

1) Ragin' Cajuns is unique, and powerful. One of the reasons it is powerful, is precisely because it is unique.

This does not infringe on the unique Ragin' Cajuns moniker.

I have no problem with LA Gators as mascot, but Florida does not have a BullGator as a mascot, they are the Gators.

It's the state bird.
    I thought we did an earlier poll with the Pelican, can't find it though.

How many times have you seen a native Louisiana Brown Pelican? . . .

Not since the main entrance to Louisiana was the Mississippi River has the Brown Pelican held an 'organic' natural Louisiana association. Until the LA coastline becomes a tourist stop it will take continued forced feeding of the public to recall the association.

And consider this:

And Louisiana is The Pelican State.
    Great argument.

Consider this, UL has been around longer than the Pelican has been the "Official State Bird"

Consider this as well: UL has on campus the remains of an ancient Buffalo Wallow, it now houses BullGators. Historically BullGators are known visitors to Buffalo Wallows. The possibility then, exists and is not far fetched that BullGators have frequented the area now known as Cypress Lake (UL campus) for hundreds if not thousands of years.

All of which makes the UL-BullGator connection very unique.

jmo

Turbine, saying Florida isn't the Bullgators, they are the Gators, is like saying LSU isn't the Tigers, they are the fightin' Tigers.

5. Default Re: BullGator Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ Turbine, saying Florida isn't the Bullgators, they are the Gators, is like saying LSU isn't the Tigers, they are the fightin' Tigers. _
    I meant, Florida does not have a BullGator only as a mascot, they ARE the Gators.

This would not apply to UL. Just like UL is not the Peppers, a BullGator mascot would not define UL like it does Florida. Florida's mascot defines who they ARE.

UL would still be home the Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana who happen to have a priceless BullGator habitat in the heart of the campus.

ps I don't think Florida ever referred to themselves as the BullGators. And I don't think Clemson would be confused for Fighting Tigers.

6. Default Re: BullGator Mascot

I took a guy from Kansas fishing once not to far from Jasper up on Toledo Bend Lake and he thought the Louisiana side would have more Alligators. Boy was he wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    This does not infringe on the unique Ragin' Cajuns moniker.
    That has nothing to do with it. It's still Florida's mascot.

Florida does not have a BullGator as a mascot, they are the Gators.
    So because LState is the BENGAL tigers-- not just the tigers-- they are unique?

I don't care if you paint it white and call it a turnip. An alligator's still an alligator.

And we will still be seen as Florida copy-cats.

How many times have you seen a native Louisiana Brown Pelican? . . .
    More and more actually. They're making a great comeback.

(And before you start splitting hairs, "native" means born here.)

Consider this, UL has been around longer than the Pelican has been the "Official State Bird"
    "Official"? Sure.

But you're still splitting hairs.

The Catholic missionaries used the pelican as an emblem for Louisiana going back to colonial times.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: BullGator Mascot/Spirit Leader

And TULANE is using the pelican as THEIR mascot, so we'd STILL be copying somebody. Besides, Florida started calling their field "The Swamp" long after we began using that name for CAJUN FIELD, so what difference would it make if we adopted a gator as our mascot and still called ourselves "RAGIN' CAJUNS"??

Ragin' Cajuns Re: BullGator Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ Turbine, saying Florida isn't the Bullgators, they are the Gators, is like saying LSU isn't the Tigers, they are the fightin' Tigers. _
    LSU calls themselves both the Tigers and the Fighting Tigers! Florida on the other hand calls themselves the Gators and do NOT call themselves the Bull Gators!

Default Re: BullGator Mascot/Spirit Leader

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    And TULANE is using the pelican as THEIR mascot, so we'd STILL be copying somebody. Besides, Florida started calling their field "The Swamp" long after we began using that name for CAJUN FIELD, so what difference would it make if we adopted a gator as our mascot and still called ourselves "RAGIN' CAJUNS"??
    There is some merit there.

So let me modify my comments. Troy University is in the city of Troy. I don't know who used the mascot first, but it should be clear that the mascot is associated with Troy. But when you say "Trojans," people think of USC.

Michigan's helmet was used by Delaware first. But everyone thinks of Michigan when they see it.

And closer to home? Florida calls their stadium "The Swamp." LState uses "Geaux."

So it really doesn't matter who actually came first, but who makes it stick first; the logo needs to appear unique to the public.

Anyway, again:

1) The white pelican and the brown pelican are different species, as different as a tiger and a lion.

2) Tulane hasn't marketed theirs; if we market ours, we win. People don't associate the pelican with Tulane, so because a pelican ties more logically into University of Louisiana and Ragin' Cajuns than it does Green Wave and Tulane, we already have a big advantage.

3) Tulane changes mascots every few years. I got a nickel says they go back to the Green Wave here sooner or later. sooner, if we use the brown pelican.

4) If Tulane drops football, it's a moot point. We win.

5) This is sour grapes, but I proposed the brown pelican in a letter published in The Times back in 1990-- long before Tulane ever thought about it. (Did Tulane get the idea from my letter? I mentioned them in the letter, but in a different context. Hmmm. )

Some UL administrators strongly supported it, but the AD at that time said it was "weird.'

Which, of course, is what people initially said about Ragin' Cajuns.

6) This one is more interesting than compelling: We got our name from Tulane. We got our seal from Tulane (and both of them have a pelican at the head of the seal).

So yes, we wear Tulane's hand-me-downs. The difference?

We make their stuff look good.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: BullGator Mascot/Spirit Leader

_ There is some merit there.

So let me modify my comments. Troy University is in the city of Troy. I don't know who used the mascot first, but it should be clear that the mascot is associated with Troy. But when you say "Trojans," people think of USC.

Michigan's helmet was used by Delaware first. But everyone thinks of Michigan when they see it.

And closer to home? Florida calls their stadium "The Swamp." LState uses "Geaux."

So it really doesn't matter who actually came first, but who makes it stick first; the logo needs to appear unique to the public.

Anyway, again:

1) The white pelican and the brown pelican are different species, as different as a tiger and a lion.

2) Tulane hasn't marketed theirs; if we market ours, we win. People don't associate the pelican with Tulane, so because a pelican ties more logically into University of Louisiana and Ragin' Cajuns than it does Green Wave and Tulane, we already have a big advantage.

3) Tulane changes mascots every few years. I got a nickel says they go back to the Green Wave here sooner or later. sooner, if we use the brown pelican.

4) If Tulane drops football, it's a moot point. We win.

5) This is sour grapes, but I proposed the brown pelican in a letter published in The Times back in 1990-- long before Tulane ever thought about it. (Did Tulane get the idea from my letter? I mentioned them in the letter, but in a different context. Hmmm. )

Some UL administrators strongly supported it, but the AD at that time said it was "weird.'

Which, of course, is what people initially said about Ragin' Cajuns.

6) This one is more interesting than compelling: We got our name from Tulane. We got our seal from Tulane (and both of them have a pelican at the head of the seal).

So yes, we wear Tulane's hand-me-downs. The difference?

We make their stuff look good. _
    LOL!! OK, when you put it THAT way, I'll buy that!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6

Thread Information