Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread: The Mickey Shunick Story

Default Re: Mickey Shunick

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    Avoid risks that are reasonably avoidable.
    Here is a short list of risks that are reasonably avoidable.

Flying in an airplane
    Eating fast food
    Riding in a boat
    Driving over 35mph
    Driving to a vacation spot
    Swimming
    Hiking
    Going to a bar
    Waterskiing
    Eating meat
    Riding ATVs, Dirtbikes, or Mororcycles
    Moderate physical activity
    Riding a bike at night
    Playing football
    Drinking alcohol
    Hunting

Which of these are we supposed to avoid in your opinion?

N/M

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    N/M
    Don't worry. you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Here is a short list of risks that are reasonably avoidable.

Flying in an airplane
    Eating fast food
    Riding in a boat
    Driving over 35mph
    Driving to a vacation spot
    Swimming
    Hiking
    Going to a bar
    Waterskiing
    Eating meat
    Riding ATVs, Dirtbikes, or Mororcycles
    Moderate physical activity
    Riding a bike at night
    Playing football
    Drinking alcohol
    Hunting

Which of these are we supposed to avoid in your opinion?
    Being alone on a city street at 2:00 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Understand the point you are trying to make, but a pretty girl riding her bike alone at 1 am through a fairly big city is not on par with normal every day risks. By the logic of your post life is dangerous, so I should just leave my windows open at night, not wear a seatbelt, etc etc.I mean life's dangerous, right.
    I'm saying you have the right to take any risk you so choose. You might know that leaving your windows open at night is more risky than if they were closed. And if you live in a good neighborhood it's a very small risk. But if its a nice night outside and you want to take that risk then its your choice. And if the 1-1,000,000 scenario comes true and a murder comes in your window then you live with the tragic consequences. But it was far from a reckless decision and it certainly wasn't your fault that you got murdered. It was just a small risk on your part that had a really unlucky outcome.

When a motorcycle rider dies in a crash people don't come out and say things like "that guy had no business riding a motorcycle." When a child drowns tragically in the ocean people don't say "that kid shouldn't have been in the ocean." And it's unfair to say that Mickey shouldn't have been riding her bike at night. She took a small risk and she was really unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    Being alone on a city street at 2:00 in the morning.
    That's the only unnecissary risk? It was a serious question BTW. How do you determine what unnecessary risks are okay and which ones aren't?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Don't worry. you are correct.
    I know just decided not a topic I wanted to get into a back and forth over.

If this guy wants to think taking an airplane ride is on par with a tiny girl riding her bike alone at the witching hour then nothing I'm going to say is gonna convince him otherwise.

Sure I take plane fights, but I wouldn't fly in an ice storm. I drive a car, but I wouldn't drive at night through the ninth ward. I ride in a boat, but I wouldn't do it in a hurricane. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I wonder if this guy ever spent time in Jennings?
    I believe those killings began while this guy was still in prison for his first sex crime.

Mickey's family deserves an explaination from The DA that cut a deal with this sicko for his first charge. He was originally charged with rape and cut a deal to get a shorter sentence. There should be no deals ever with sex offenders. If someone can commit rape they certainly are not above murder. This is a prime example.

That's the only unnecissary risk? It was a serious question BTW. How do you determine what unnecessary risks are okay and which ones aren't?
    Some risks are part of life and considered worth it for what is gained. Others.at least to me.are easier to avoid and NOT worth it when considering the reward. If you couldn't pick this one out of your list on your own, then I can't help you make such choices.

Some people drive drunk too but that doesn't make it a wise thing to do. Ask any cop if they think it's a good idea for a 22 year old female to ride a bike anywhere alone at 1:30 in the morning and see what they say.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Simple judgement skills. This incident is simply not in the category of "risks that are worth it". All over the country, when this crime was reported, most people's first question was "what was a 22 year old girl out riding a bicycle at that time all by herself?". She is not at fault for her decision. That piece of garbage is. But, this society needs to quit living in a fantasy world. Young women cannot casually walk the streets at all hours of the night. Too many movies depict young women (and kids) overpowering males. That is ridiculous fantasy. I don't care how many Karate classes young women take, they had better hope they never encounter a male with a bent intent.

Many on here are trying to impress on each other to make sure our kids and especially daughters are not naive enough to take these kinds of risks. We do not need dissention.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    I believe those killings began while this guy was still in prison for his first sex crime.

Mickey's family deserves an explaination from The DA that cut a deal with this sicko for his first charge. He was originally charged with rape and cut a deal to get a shorter sentence. There should be no deals ever with sex offenders. If someone can commit rape they certainly are not above murder. This is a prime example.
    DA's cut deals.this will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Seriously?? I have a good friend of mine that is on this board alot, shall remain nameless He has a concealed weapons permit.How hard was that to get??

Z
    Z, she was carrying pepper spray.

I'm of the thought that she was taken by surprise and that no form of protection would have deterred this guy. I'm thinking run off the road or hit from behind.

14. Default Re: Mickey Shunick

http://texasequusearch.org/category/missing/

People go missing everyday; young and old, men and women, white/black/latino. It is tragic, and therefore important for us all to use common sense to be as safe as we can and not be naive to the dangers of the world. Lafayette is not Mayberry. I can only hope that justice prevails a fast as possible for the family.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    Z, she was carrying pepper spray.

I'm of the thought that she was taken by surprise and that no form of protection would have deterred this guy. I'm thinking run off the road or hit from behind.
    The police press conference stated that the damage to the bicycle was consistent with being hit.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread Information