Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Great Scott!

Tickets Great Scott!

You know what's really funny? "The great open think tank" isn't a think tank at all. The caller's can't think for themselves at all. He call's it a think tank but all it really is is an answer my two poll questions of the day. I get really tired of that. Its the same show everyday. It's almost as if he comes up with his show before he goes to bed at night. I know I'll ask a poll question and we'll spend the next 3 hours (when he was filling in for Jay) and talk about it. Ohh and LSU fans can call in all day and talk about the LSU vs. UL game but UL fans are not allowed to call in and give their prediction on the game whether it be an upset or a close loss. He actually says hey don't call in with that nonsense. You cajun fans will see when LSU stomps all over UL. That is unacceptable talk for a local sports talk radio host in LAFAYETTE!!!!!

Besides the Great Scott show I have other issues with the programming. The station has special programming: LSU and you show, Making the turn (golf), The Saints Report, a high school football show, even a fantasy football show, and of course talking tigers. That's fine. I don't have to listen if I don't want to. But other than the coaches shows during the respective seasons, there is no show dedicated strictly to UL. That is also disheartening and I think since the Lafayette LSU fans can get their own show that maybe some of us UL fans should try and get one of our own!!! Now that's radio that I would listen to.

2. Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

I'd love to do a weekly hour show devoted to the Ragin Cajuns. I've even considered doing an internet show available for download. My problem is I'm not knowledgeable about the control boards of a radio station, although I'm sure i could pick it up quickly.

Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77
    I'd love to do a weekly hour show devoted to the Ragin Cajuns. I've even considered doing an internet show available for download. My problem is I'm not knowledgeable about the control boards of a radio station, although I'm sure i could pick it up quickly.
    i know a bit about radio station operation, would be happy to help if it be for a UL radio show, im not a great radio personality type but i know the board setup and can help out, if need be, i was a broadcasting major for a while, took a few classes on radio broadcasting and would have loved to stay in broadcasting but only radio, hate doing TV stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    You know what's really funny? "The great open think tank" isn't a think tank at all. The caller's can't think for themselves at all. He call's it a think tank but all it really is is an answer my two poll questions of the day. I get really tired of that. Its the same show everyday. It's almost as if he comes up with his show before he goes to bed at night. I know I'll ask a poll question and we'll spend the next 3 hours (when he was filling in for Jay) and talk about it. Ohh and LSU fans can call in all day and talk about the LSU vs. UL game but UL fans are not allowed to call in and give their prediction on the game whether it be an upset or a close loss. He actually says hey don't call in with that nonsense. You UL fanss will see when LSU stomps all over UL. That is unacceptable talk for a local sports talk radio host in LAFAYETTE!!!!!

Besides the Great Scott show I have other issues with the programming. The station has special programming: LSU and you show, Making the turn (golf), The Saints Report, a high school football show, even a fantasy football show, and of course talking tigers. That's fine. I don't have to listen if I don't want to. But other than the coaches shows during the respective seasons, there is no show dedicated strictly to UL. That is also disheartening and I think since the Lafayette LSU fans can get their own show that maybe some of us UL fans should try and get one of our own!!! Now that's radio that I would listen to.

Kal, I'm with you.

It's funny that you started this thread, I've been pulling my hair out because of the opinions that have blasted over the air. I used to listen to 1420 religiously, but that stopped with "Great Scott". I have a feeling that the hours have gotten long for some of our local sports guys and they're trying to lighten up the work day. I enjoy listening to "Jay Walker" disassemble the callers when they disagree with him and I also love his broadcasting. He is enjoyable. Billy and Steve Peloquin are great and Mr. Bitter is hilarious. It's nice to have a local sports show, but I am losing interest with the direction of the weekly afternoon shows.

I'm sorry Scott, but I think your show could be a little bit more professional and little bit more courtesy could be given to your callers (Especially the old man who calls everyday; he doesn't need to be disconnected in mid sentence. I actually enjoy hearing his calls.)

I don't expect an espn/cnn type of broadcasting from a small market radio station, but I do feel like there has been a downward slide.

"go cajuns, go tigers, and go tobasco"

(I really could care less about the Tigers)

Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    i know a bit about radio station operation, would be happy to help if it be for a UL radio show, im not a great radio personality type but i know the board setup and can help out, if need be, i was a broadcasting major for a while, took a few classes on radio broadcasting and would have loved to stay in broadcasting but only radio, hate doing TV stuff
    Hey Shasta.I wanted you to know that Cartman with your face will forever be emblazened in the deep dark depths of my psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat
    Hey Shasta.I wanted you to know that Cartman with your face will be forever be emblazened in the deep dark depths of my psyche.
    its amazing what you can do with a few hours of boredom, some pics, and standard windows softwarewas that pic better than this one? as long as i come up with new ideas i keep changing it, but i thought the cartman one was great

7. Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Personally, I feel I have a face made for radio.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77
    Personally, I feel I have a face made for radio.
    thats what my mom always told me when i was in broadcasting

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

You know what's really funny? "The great open think tank" isn't a think tank at all. The caller's can't think for themselves at all. He call's it a think tank but all it really is is an answer my two poll questions of the day. I get really tired of that. Its the same show everyday. It's almost as if he comes up with his show before he goes to bed at night. I know I'll ask a poll question and we'll spend the next 3 hours (when he was filling in for Jay) and talk about it. Ohh and LSU fans can call in all day and talk about the LSU vs. UL game but UL fans are not allowed to call in and give their prediction on the game whether it be an upset or a close loss. He actually says hey don't call in with that nonsense. You UL fanss will see when LSU stomps all over UL. That is unacceptable talk for a local sports talk radio host in LAFAYETTE!!!!!

If you really feel like screwing with his mind, ask him a couple of typical NCAA questions, or even more ask him a question or two about UL recruits. I nailed him with his lack of knowledge or preperation this spring and was not even trying to cause trouble.

i really like all the morning guys, stevie and billy. i like listening to kevin. i don't listen to scott very much cause its just not interesting. i know what you guys mean about all the poll junk.(lazy radio) i can't stand listening to the other afternoon guy. you know who i mean. i'm not tryin to be ugly. jay is not a bad guy, but i think his show is AWFUL! if you call in and say something contrary to his opinion, he doesn't respond half the time. then theres just ten seconds of dead air. its like he just wants you to say what you have to say and then hang up. and i find hes a jerk to people on the radio alot. one last thing (but not the only one) for instance he won't talk recruiting a lot just because HE doesn't like recruiting. i thought they were caller driven shows?

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesthejeweler
    i really like all the morning guys, stevie and billy. i like listening to kevin. i don't listen to scott very much cause its just not interesting. i know what you guys mean about all the poll junk.(lazy radio) i can't stand listening to the other afternoon guy. you know who i mean. i'm not tryin to be ugly. jay is not a bad guy, but i think his show is AWFUL! if you call in and say something contrary to his opinion, he doesn't respond half the time. then theres just ten seconds of dead air. its like he just wants you to say what you have to say and then hang up. and i find hes a jerk to people on the radio alot. one last thing (but not the only one) for instance he won't talk recruiting a lot just because HE doesn't like recruiting. i thought they were caller driven shows?
    Also, if I may say so myself, Jay if you are listening(reading), you seem to be a hell of alot more knowlegble about LSU and the Saints than UL!! You will go on and on about LSU but in regards to questionsa about UL, the answers tend to be rather short!

Jay your shows have taken an educational vacation when it comes to UL sports and your working on your PHD when it comes to LSU!!!

Jay your my man when it comes to Broadcasting UL sports, and I love your show but as a concerned listener, please remember the FANS and sponsors that made your show!! Please do not sell us out!

DaddyCajun

ps Jay please take this as constructive verbalization about talk radio fustration!! UL is what gave you your market and your show base. Please step back from it all and take a look at your shows, do your homework on the Cajuns there are many of us that are starving out here and we are NOT LSU fans at heart! Feed us papa Jay, feed the starving Cajun Faithful!

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    Also, if I may say so myself, Jay if you are listening(reading), you seem to be a hell of alot more knowlegble about LSU and the Saints than UL!! You will go on and on about LSU but in regards to questionsa about UL, the answers tend to be rather short!

Jay your shows have taken an educational vacation when it comes to UL sports and your working on your PHD when it comes to LSU!!!

Jay your my man when it comes to Broadcasting UL sports, and I love your show but as a concerned listener, please remember the FANS and sponsors that made your show!! Please do not sell us out!

DaddyCajun
    Walker's problem is that he thinks he is some kind of know it all because the coaches give him a little bit of info. on whatever. then he'll mention it on the air but say "oh, I don't think I'm ready to talk about that yet." to make him sound more important and to make his tidbit sound important.

He is also an LSU honk. And what about Foote? He couldn't care less about the Cajuns. All he wants to talk about is LSU, the Astros, and the Saints. What's even worse is that he talks about these Pro teams like he knows everything about them, like he is their beat writer or something. Bil is ok, but kinda slow, plus he has that idiot on once a week to talk about Baton Rouge. Pellequin is soooo afraid to ____ anyone off, he can't disagree with anyone. Plus he reads me articles out of the paper every morning.

And then there is Prather. You can hear it in his voice when he is on with Walker, he thinks he is the hottest pile of ____ in town. I used to kinda dislike Walker's show because I think he is unentertaining and an idiot, but I would listen most of the time because there was a small chance there would be talk about the cajuns. But now with Prather on there, it is unlistenable. That clown has to go.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

I find Jay's show to be good. I really don't get a chance to listen to Stevie P. in the mornings. As for "Great Scott", I know the guy, and he's probably still trying to get the whole show host thing together. He's only about 23 or 24 yrs. old, and being the host of a radio show really isn't the easiest thing in the world. But if the show doesn't get ratings after the grace period of him trying to get his feet stable, then ESPN 1420 will probably replace him.

I second the idea, though, that a Lafayette Sports Station should certainly dedicate a show to UL sports before even thinking about doing shows on LSU.

This isnt entirely true. I know for a fact that Ryckman has 2 shows a week dedicated to just Ragin Cajuns.trust me, my company sponsors the shows! I also know that he hasnt had his shows during the summer, because, well its summer! I think that we have forgotten that during baseball season he has Schefz(sp?) on and in the Fall he has Babb.

Secondly, I find that during the "non-themed" shows, I find that UL takes the lead in what is going on, except during Foote.all astros and Saints, which is cool too.at least the saints part I know every now and then there are some A&M questions thrown in, but I find that is mostly about UL, except during the summer.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    Also, if I may say so myself, Jay if you are listening(reading), you seem to be a hell of alot more knowlegble about LSU and the Saints than UL!! DaddyCajun

Saints? If there is one thing that I find Jay to be wayyyyyyyyyy off, it is his commentary about the NFL. I want to call in and change the subject when he and Scott start talking Saints and the NFL because they are soooo off. Sometimes I want to punch the radio when he starts jabbing about the Saints or NFL stuff, that "aint gonna happen" then of course.it does. But we all know how Jay likes when people call to give him an opinion opposite of his!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information