Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Great Scott!

Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Quote Originally Posted by helmut
    I thought you were spam.
    agghh well done one step up, oh grasshopper (simper)

Default Re: a belfast cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by snote
    " 23.08.06
    October sees first ever DVD release from Van Morrison

For more then 40 years now the music of Van Morrison has been mesmerizing and captivating audiences around the world. Combining influences as diverse as R&B, jazz, blues, country and Celtic folk, his sound and style has firmly established him as a true innovator of popular music.

Exile Productions are proud to announce the release of the first ever DVD from Van Morrison, titled Live At Montreux 1974/1980, via an exclusive world wide licensing deal with Eagle Vision. Recorded at the world famous Montreux Festival, at which he has performed many times throughout his illustrious career, and personally chosen by Van Morrison himself, Live At Montreux 1974/1980 captures two magical performances over 2 discs that showcase Van at his very best.

Disc one features the complete show from his 1974 appearance and features tracks including I Like It Like That, Foggy Mountain Top, Heathrow Shuffle and Street Choir while disc 2 is the complete show from 1980 and features the tracks Wavelength, Tupelo Honey, Moondance and many more.

Van Morrison – Live At Montreux 1974/1980, scheduled for release on October 16th and following Van’s appearance at this year’s 40th Montreux Festival, is a wonderful look back at one of the greatest songwriters and poets to every grace the worlds stages with his presence and is a must have for all music fans." . http://www.vanmorrison.co.uk/

ps. evening shadows
    Thanks for the heads up. I love Van Morrison's songs. BTW, who do you have on the intro music on your show?? Oh, yeah! VM!!!

What is the "evening shadows" comment about? Some of us aren't as "culturally aware" as the Great Spam!

Default Re: a belfast cowboy

Scott Prather sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    You know what's really funny? "The great open think tank" isn't a think tank at all. The caller's can't think for themselves at all. He call's it a think tank but all it really is is an answer my two poll questions of the day. I get really tired of that. Its the same show everyday. It's almost as if he comes up with his show before he goes to bed at night. I know I'll ask a poll question and we'll spend the next 3 hours (when he was filling in for Jay) and talk about it. Ohh and LSU fans can call in all day and talk about the LSU vs. UL game but UL fans are not allowed to call in and give their prediction on the game whether it be an upset or a close loss. He actually says hey don't call in with that nonsense. You UL fans will see when LSU stomps all over UL. That is unacceptable talk for a local sports talk radio host in LAFAYETTE!!!!!

Besides the Great Scott show I have other issues with the programming. The station has special programming: LSU and you show, Making the turn (golf), The Saints Report, a high school football show, even a fantasy football show, and of course talking tigers. That's fine. I don't have to listen if I don't want to. But other than the coaches shows during the respective seasons, there is no show dedicated strictly to UL. That is also disheartening and I think since the Lafayette LSU fans can get their own show that maybe some of us UL fans should try and get one of our own!!! Now that's radio that I would listen to.

The only reason I listen to this show is to hear what that silly old man says that calls in to all the shows on that station. I can't remember his name though. I think the reason why I like the morning show's so much more, is that they actually have alot more subject matter and usually take up most of their shows with them talking and less calls. Just like Jim Rome says(whether you like him or not) More of me and less of you is his motto. Also he says that any talk show that takes majority phone calls is just a show of how unprepared a talk show host is. I know that morning shows take calls, but no where near what the afternoon shows do. But I do enjoy listening to Jay, he may be opinionated, but I usually put that aside and enjoy his show.

5. Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Quote Originally Posted by kracka75LSU
    The only reason I listen to this show is to hear what that silly old man says that calls in to all the shows on that station. I can't remember his name though.
    His name is Paul. He is my favorite caller.

Quote Originally Posted by kracka75LSU
    The only reason I listen to this show is to hear what that silly old man says that calls in to all the shows on that station. I can't remember his name though. I think the reason why I like the morning show's so much more, is that they actually have alot more subject matter and usually take up most of their shows with them talking and less calls. Just like Jim Rome says(whether you like him or not) More of me and less of you is his motto. Also he says that any talk show that takes majority phone calls is just a show of how unprepared a talk show host is. I know that morning shows take calls, but no where near what the afternoon shows do. But I do enjoy listening to Jay, he may be opinionated, but I usually put that aside and enjoy his show.
    KPEL morning shows have less callers because more people are involved with work/school activities than they are in the afternoon. I don't think they purposely take less callers.

Jay = the man

Scott = mostly quite aggravating

Paul is one of the greatest callers ever. He is a little slow but that's OK. Unfortunately Jay and Scott do not let him be as good as he could be because they get impatient with him.

One time Paul called Jay's show and he had to cut the call short. About thirty minutes later Paul calls again. Jay asked him "what did they buy?" Paul asked Jay what he meant. Jay said "when you called earlier you had to hang up, what did they buy? Paul said "A fifth of Jack Daniels and $10.00 worth of gas."

"The Saint" was a great caller too.

Quote Originally Posted by helmut
    Paul is one of the greatest callers ever. He is a little slow but that's OK. Unfortunately Jay and Scott do not let him be as good as he could be because they get impatient with him.

One time Paul called Jay's show and he had to cut the call short. About thirty minutes later Paul calls again. Jay asked him "what did they buy?" Paul asked Jay what he meant. Jay said "when you called earlier you had to hang up, what did they buy? Paul said "A fifth of Jack Daniels and $10.00 worth of gas."

"The Saint" was a great caller too.
    I get impatient when Paul calls as well because he talks pretty slow and a lot of times his call is totally off topic. But sometimes he says some really funny chit.

Quote Originally Posted by CDeb
    I get impatient when Paul calls as well because he talks pretty slow and a lot of times his call is totally off topic. But sometimes he says some really funny chit.
    The times he does say funny chit is exactly why he is such a good caller. Someday we all may be slow and off topic, just like Paul, so I say God Bless him.

You know, a couple of years ago, one of the show's long-time listeners passed away. Double D, I think his actual name was Doug Daigle. I didn't personally know him but I think many associated with KPEL did. At the risk of sounding pretentious, I'm gonna post a copy of an email I sent to Jay about this.

"Jay,

I am one of those of whom you spoke when you said there were listeners who did not know Double D but we did recognize his voice. I can tell through your monologue and past comments by Bitter that Double was a considerable part of your lives and I regret never having the opportunity to share the experiences you shared with Double D.

Whether it’s the Cajuns, the Tigers, the Saints, the Astros, the Yankees, or the Huskies we all have the unwavering love for the simplicity of a give and go, or a hit and run, or a trap play. There are many people out there who ask “why do you get so emotional?” and my sole response is “because”. I don’t know why we love these “games”; we just do.

The passion Double D, yourself, Kevin, Four Dogs, Kyle, Billy, myself, the rest of your listeners, and nonlisteners (and even UConn Man) all have for this bizarre series of children’s games has allowed us to share a constant in many of our lives. Quite often we disagree with other, we agree with each other, we argue with each other, we console each, we laugh, we cry and all in the name of our passion. But it is this passion that allows us to go beyond the disagreements and arguments, and at the end of the day, agree on one thing: we all share the passion.

But it is more than just watching “the game.” The “game” creates a community which knows no bounds, has no walls, and leaves no one out. As you pointed out in the beginning of your monologue, one with the passion doesn’t have to look for the community: it’s just there, waiting with open arms.

Your show, and countless others across the country, have allowed this community to thrive and share our passion with each other and develop an extended, sometimes (unfortunately) faceless family, that only those with the passion can understand.

Please extend my condolences to Double D’s family and accept the same for yourself, Bitter, and those closest to him fortunate to have share the passion on a much more personal basis."

Get over yourselves. If you don't think Jay Walker is about the University of Louisiana and you think the station concentrates too much on LSU, you are just like the Tiger fans we all complain about: You don't get it. I would much rather a little balance rather than the blind diatribes we often here from Baton Rouge stations.

And for those of you who seem comfortable in your "assessments" of Scott Prather, I'll borrow from our friends at Saints Report:

Seek a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee
    And for those of you who seem comfortable in your "assessments" of Scott Prather, I'll borrow from our friends at Saints Report:

Seek a higher level.
    I think that the message of this thread has gotten a little off topic as well. I think we are trying to seek a higher level. Most of the people on this board want the university to seek a higher level. Most people on this board want the fans to seek a higher level, and most want ESPN 1420 to seek a higher level. No one is bashing the LSU shows on the radio. I'm sure you do like the balance of LSU and UL talk. But many of us want more UL talk shows, and since this station is in Lafayette, I don't think that that is too much to ask for.

I think that the message of this thread has gotten a little off topic as well. I think we are trying to seek a higher level. Most of the people on this board want the university to seek a higher level. Most people on this board want the fans to seek a higher level, and most want ESPN 1420 to seek a higher level. No one is bashing the LSU shows on the radio. I'm sure you do like the balance of LSU and UL talk. But many of us want more UL talk shows, and since this station is in Lafayette, I don't think that that is too much to ask for.
    Okay, so "Scott Prather sucks" is seeking a higher lever? Silly me.

You want to be part of a higher level? Give him a break. Dude is just starting. I just find it incredibly disappointing when people eat their own. They do it in Baton Rouge, let's not do it here.

I think this was the actual point of the thread. You want to have a discussion regarding KPEL's programming, UL/LSU, Lafayette/Baton Rouge, and this communities general apathy toward UL, start another thread. Unless we just hijack this one.

I'm pretty sure KPEL "rents" time on the station. A lot of the weekend shows are done this way. That includes Bitter and big Dave. All you have to do is get the sponsors to pay yourself back. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing a UL show thi way. All it takes is work and sponsors. It sounds fun actually. Very free market. If I was younger and had the time, I'd try it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Membertou
    I'm pretty sure KPEL "rents" time on the station. A lot of the weekend shows are done this way. That includes Bitter and big Dave. All you have to do is get the sponsors to pay yourself back. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing a UL show thi way. All it takes is work and sponsors. It sounds fun actually. Very free market. If I was younger and had the time, I'd try it myself.
    And if you don't want KPEL to broadcast "LSU" shows, don't buy from that show's sponsors. For that matter make the point and NOT shop at places in Lafayette where the UL merchandise is far outnumbered by LSU merchandise.

The problem isn't that KPEL caters to LSU, the problem is that people in Lafayette don't cater to UL.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information