Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Great Scott!

Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Look I respect everyone's opinion here. I don't necessarily agree with all of them. For instance, I think Jay does a great job and he does a lot to promote this university especially with the battle to be called Louisiana. His show i find hilarious and i don't think he's a jerk at all. I just think lately he's been a little cranky about coming back to work after a good ole vacation (well deserved I might add). But who isn't cranky about going back to work after a vacation? I know I'm in a bad mood this week cause I started back with classes at UL. UGhh I hate classes but I, just like Jay (i'm pretty sure), will be in a much better mood once the Cajuns' season starts. And everything in the world will be right again.

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656
    This isnt entirely true. I know for a fact that Ryckman has 2 shows a week dedicated to just Ragin Cajuns.trust me, my company sponsors the shows! I also know that he hasnt had his shows during the summer, because, well its summer! I think that we have forgotten that during baseball season he has Schefz(sp?) on and in the Fall he has Babb.

Secondly, I find that during the "non-themed" shows, I find that UL takes the lead in what is going on, except during Foote.all astros and Saints, which is cool too.at least the saints part I know every now and then there are some A&M questions thrown in, but I find that is mostly about UL, except during the summer.

Just my .02
    Yes, but this is a coaches show. That's why I'm saying I would like there to be a show where for one hour, the only topic on the table is UL. And where cajun fans can call in the entire hour and talk about their opinions without being ridiculed for it.

3. Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Rickman has had Babb on every week, every year since he signed at UL, I respect that.

.and here I am wishing I could listen to something besides UT/Cowboys/Rangers/Astros on my morning commute. Or even worse, when ESPNradio talks about everything BUT sports. I've gone through an hour long afternoon commute without a single mention. Those knuckleheads carry on like they are a syndicated morning show. I could care less about what they watched on TV the night before (unless they are breaking down a game), and I'm fully aware that Tiger Wood's woman is hot. We don't need to carry on about it for an hour. I can't see her in the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCajun
    .and here I am wishing I could listen to something besides UT/Cowboys/Rangers/Astros on my morning commute. Or even worse, when ESPNradio talks about everything BUT sports. I've gone through an hour long afternoon commute without a single mention. Those knuckleheads carry on like they are a syndicated morning show. I could care less about what they watched on TV the night before (unless they are breaking down a game), and I'm fully aware that Tiger Wood's woman is hot. We don't need to carry on about it for an hour. I can't see her in the radio.
    Check your private message.

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCajun
    I'm with you, I went through 1420 withdrawls when I left Lafayette. I barely listen to sports radio at all now.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    Also, if I may say so myself, Jay if you are listening(reading), you seem to be a hell of alot more knowlegble about LSU and the Saints than UL!! You will go on and on about LSU but in regards to questionsa about UL, the answers tend to be rather short!

Jay your shows have taken an educational vacation when it comes to UL sports and your working on your PHD when it comes to LSU!!!

Jay your my man when it comes to Broadcasting UL sports, and I love your show but as a concerned listener, please remember the FANS and sponsors that made your show!! Please do not sell us out!

DaddyCajun

ps Jay please take this as constructive verbalization about talk radio fustration!! UL is what gave you your market and your show base. Please step back from it all and take a look at your shows, do your homework on the Cajuns there are many of us that are starving out here and we are NOT LSU fans at heart! Feed us papa Jay, feed the starving Cajun Faithful!

Let's see. LSU fans call me a UL homer. Now UL fans say I'm getting my LSU phd.

Sounds like I'm getting pretty close to the right balance

8. Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesthejeweler
    i really like all the morning guys, stevie and billy. i like listening to kevin. i don't listen to scott very much cause its just not interesting. i know what you guys mean about all the poll junk.(lazy radio) i can't stand listening to the other afternoon guy. you know who i mean. i'm not tryin to be ugly. jay is not a bad guy, but i think his show is AWFUL! if you call in and say something contrary to his opinion, he doesn't respond half the time. then theres just ten seconds of dead air. its like he just wants you to say what you have to say and then hang up. and i find hes a jerk to people on the radio alot. one last thing (but not the only one) for instance he won't talk recruiting a lot just because HE doesn't like recruiting. i thought they were caller driven shows?
    I usually listen to Jay and Scott when I am driving home in the afternoon mainly to hear the old man call who sounds like he's from cecelia. But If I have a gripe about on thing on Scott's show is that there are too many phone calls. I listen to alot of ESPN Radio, the Jim Rome show and there is one thing that they always mention is that if there too many calls in a show, that means they aren't doing there job. Meaning they aren't prepared, and don't have enough subject to cover a show. I think this is the main problem with his show. I don't find that the morning shows take as many calls, but those guys are alot more experienced than Scott. I like Jay Walkers show. It took me a while to get over his brashness, but he's got a decent show and he has alot of subject matter to discuss and listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by kracka75LSU
    I usually listen to Jay and Scott when I am driving home in the afternoon mainly to hear the old man call who sounds like he's from cecelia. But If I have a gripe about on thing on Scott's show is that there are too many phone calls. I listen to alot of ESPN Radio, the Jim Rome show and there is one thing that they always mention is that if there too many calls in a show, that means they aren't doing there job. Meaning they aren't prepared, and don't have enough subject to cover a show. I think this is the main problem with his show. I don't find that the morning shows take as many calls, but those guys are alot more experienced than Scott. I like Jay Walkers show. It took me a while to get over his brashness, but he's got a decent show and he has alot of subject matter to discuss and listen to.
    Agreed I don't listen to sports talk radio for the callers I like to here good information and On The Great Scott show he takes way to many callers. I would like to see more interviews and more information that we want to hear.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    Let's see. LSU fans call me a UL homer. Now UL fans say I'm getting my LSU phd.

Sounds like I'm getting pretty close to the right balance
    Am I wrong or is this the UL flagship. There should be no equal balance about anything. It should be all UL. It is somewhat embarrassing that I get into my truck, turn on the station that carries all of my school's games, and have to hear nothing but ____ about LSU, and it being moderated by the guy that calls my school's games. The supposed "Voice of the Cajuns." I guartantee that everytime it happens, I change the station.

Jay, it seems to me sometimes that you try to be the unbiased member of the media, but lets be honest. If you want to be unbiased, get out of the Cajuns booth and go to the ESPN booth or the FOX booth. The fact that you wear Cajuns gear when you call games, the fact that you take up three hours of prime programming on the Cajuns Flagship station, gives you plenty of licsense to be biased. Now, if you chose to be biased towards someone other than UL, then there is a big problem.

If I went to BR and tried to talk about the Cajuns everyday, I would get hung up on, and the show host would not even think twice about it. But, if this university wants to continue to grow and prosper, it has to happen on every level, including on the radio. How do you expect this university to gain credibility in any regard when there is so much talk and discussion about other schools on its flagship station.

Just my opinion, just _____-ing about a few issues that I have with 1420. And, I am sure that after reading this you are instantly trying to figure out ways to please ME and only ME. At least just keep what I am saying in mind.

And, by the way, there is nothing that makes me, and apparently a bunch of other people, change the station faster than hearing Scott Prather's voice. Drop him, ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner
    I find Jay's show to be good. I really don't get a chance to listen to Stevie P. in the mornings. As for "Great Scott", I know the guy, and he's probably still trying to get the whole show host thing together. He's only about 23 or 24 yrs. old, and being the host of a radio show really isn't the easiest thing in the world. But if the show doesn't get ratings after the grace period of him trying to get his feet stable, then ESPN 1420 will probably replace him.

I second the idea, though, that a Lafayette Sports Station should certainly dedicate a show to UL sports before even thinking about doing shows on LSU.
    This is the most intelligent post on this thread. I am sure if somebody came up with an idea that is professional and could be sold. Stevie P would listen to it. Bitter was a listener with an idea, Bandit was a listener with an idea, for that matter Jay was a sportscaster with a dream. Does this ship need an overall or are we just getting more local sports news than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    Am I wrong or is this the UL flagship. There should be no equal balance about anything. It should be all UL. It is somewhat embarrassing that I get into my truck, turn on the station that carries all of my school's games, and have to hear nothing but ____ about LSU, and it being moderated by the guy that calls my school's games. The supposed "Voice of the Cajuns." I guartantee that everytime it happens, I change the station.

Jay, it seems to me sometimes that you try to be the unbiased member of the media, but lets be honest. If you want to be unbiased, get out of the Cajuns booth and go to the ESPN booth or the FOX booth. The fact that you wear Cajuns gear when you call games, the fact that you take up three hours of prime programming on the Cajuns Flagship station, gives you plenty of licsense to be biased. Now, if you chose to be biased towards someone other than UL, then there is a big problem.

If I went to BR and tried to talk about the Cajuns everyday, I would get hung up on, and the show host would not even think twice about it. But, if this university wants to continue to grow and prosper, it has to happen on every level, including on the radio. How do you expect this university to gain credibility in any regard when there is so much talk and discussion about other schools on its flagship station.

Just my opinion, just _____-ing about a few issues that I have with 1420. And, I am sure that after reading this you are instantly trying to figure out ways to please ME and only ME. At least just keep what I am saying in mind.

And, by the way, there is nothing that makes me, and apparently a bunch of other people, change the station faster than hearing Scott Prather's voice. Drop him, ASAP.

Rhineaux, with all due respect, I don't think you are any more qualified to tell me my job description than I am to tell you yours.

I have always maintained that my job as the UL game announcer and my job as a sports talk show host are two separate jobs. I know that, perception wise, that they overlap to the point where they are one and the same, but in reality they are not.

When I do UL games, UL is the ONLY focus of what I do.

However, when I am doing a talk show, SPORTS is the subject. All sports. MLB, NBA, NFL, and all College and even some High School Sports. When I am doing a talk show, the Cajuns Tigers and Saints are the biggest subjects because, for local listeners, they are the most important topics.

You may be right as to how the local guys in BR would handle things. But the reality is that UL is not a focus of most sports fans in Baton Rouge.

It's different here in Lafayette and you know that.

You say that the UL flagship should be UL and only UL. If you feel that way, fine. But the last time I checked, the Eagle was still a classic rock station.

I'm really not going to beat this horse until it dies. It is what it is.

13. Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Wow, just wow. Jay I am gonna say you got some balls brotha. I would not have imagined that you would frequent, much less come and defend yourself on this message board. I wouldn't imagine that Charles or Jordey or any of the eagle guys would make it known that they go on tigerdroppings, because of the ridicule they would be subjecting themselves to.

14. Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Quote Originally Posted by kracka75LSU
    I wouldn't imagine that Charles or Jordey or any of the eagle guys would make it known that they go on tigerdroppings, because of the ridicule they would be subjecting themselves to.
    What are you saying?

a) You get less than the truth from Baton Rouge media.
    b) Tigerdroppings is an embarrassing place to be found.
    c) Both

JUST KIDDING. Here is the thing, and this is only MY opinion, a good radio host has his finger on the pulse of the community, even the fringe elements.

Not all questions and concerns need to be hashed out on the air, by Jay addressing rhineaux's question and concerns here, it may prevent someone from calling and asking the same question. That way the show can stay focused on its unique balancing act.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    Rhineaux, with all due respect, I don't think you are any more qualified to tell me my job description than I am to tell you yours.

I have always maintained that my job as the UL game announcer and my job as a sports talk show host are two separate jobs. I know that, perception wise, that they overlap to the point where they are one and the same, but in reality they are not.

When I do UL games, UL is the ONLY focus of what I do.

However, when I am doing a talk show, SPORTS is the subject. All sports. MLB, NBA, NFL, and all College and even some High School Sports. When I am doing a talk show, the Cajuns Tigers and Saints are the biggest subjects because, for local listeners, they are the most important topics.

You may be right as to how the local guys in BR would handle things. But the reality is that UL is not a focus of most sports fans in Baton Rouge.

It's different here in Lafayette and you know that.

You say that the UL flagship should be UL and only UL. If you feel that way, fine. But the last time I checked, the Eagle was still a classic rock station.

I'm really not going to beat this horse until it dies. It is what it is.

By your not responding to my suggestion to drop Prather, if not altogether, at least from your show, should I take that as an agreement without agreeing?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information