Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Great Scott!

Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

I think UL needs better coverage of UL too. How about a two hour pregame show and a two hour post game show for football and one hour the same for baseball adn baskeball where the fans can call in and fuss or cheer.

2. Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    What are you saying?

a) You get less than the truth from Baton Rouge media.
    b) Tigerdroppings is an embarrassing place to be found.
    c) Both
    No I don't think we get less truth from Baton Rouge Media, Because those guys are as involved with LSU athletics as you can be. Charles is probably going to be the one to replace hawthorne. Tigerdroppings can be as vile a place as this at times, but I don't frequent the football talk on there. I stay away from posting on that. I usually go in there and bull____ on the other boards. But your right about talk show hosts having to have their fingers on the pulse of the community, but my point was actually making it known who you are. Some hosts wouldn't be caught dead letting people know who they are if they are on these boards. That is all I was saying. I know that if the crew from 98.1 was on tigerdroppings, they would have to deal with tons of negative bull____, from ________s that don't know ____. Those are unfortunately the ones who call post game shows and _____ after wins. It makes me sick. I'm getting off topic so I will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    By your not responding to my suggestion to drop Prather, if not altogether, at least from your show, should I take that as an agreement without agreeing?
    Not at all. We are very happy to have Scott with us.

Scott is new in this business and is still feeling his way around. He'll be getting plenty of direction from Steve and me. As a young broadcaster he'll make plenty of mistakes. We will be patient. Hope you will be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine

Not all questions and concerns need to be hashed out on the air, by Jay addressing rhineaux's question and concerns here, it may prevent someone from calling and asking the same question. That way the show can stay focused on its unique balancing act.
    Turbine okay you are smart too

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    Rhineaux, with all due respect, I don't think you are any more qualified to tell me my job description than I am to tell you yours.

I have always maintained that my job as the UL game announcer and my job as a sports talk show host are two separate jobs. I know that, perception wise, that they overlap to the point where they are one and the same, but in reality they are not.

When I do UL games, UL is the ONLY focus of what I do.

However, when I am doing a talk show, SPORTS is the subject. All sports. MLB, NBA, NFL, and all College and even some High School Sports. When I am doing a talk show, the Cajuns Tigers and Saints are the biggest subjects because, for local listeners, they are the most important topics.

You may be right as to how the local guys in BR would handle things. But the reality is that UL is not a focus of most sports fans in Baton Rouge.

It's different here in Lafayette and you know that.

You say that the UL flagship should be UL and only UL. If you feel that way, fine. But the last time I checked, the Eagle was still a classic rock station.

I'm really not going to beat this horse until it dies. It is what it is.

Jay,

The reason "It's different here in Lafayette and you know that." is because you and everybody else in this town (including myself) and especially Dr. A have let it become that way.

I have a good friend who is a UL grad and went to law school at Loyola, so he has no ties to LSU whatsoever. We both have Cajun season baseball tickets and I see him at most if not all of the football games. However, he also pulls for LSU. If he want to do that, he has that right, and I don't fault him for that. However, we were discussing the upcoming game on Sept. 2 and he told me he was pulling for LSU. Needless to say, I almost passed out. His rationale was that if UL wins then LSU has no chance to compete for the national title, and even if UL wins and goes 12-0, we have no chance to compete for the national title. My response to him was that he is a total idiot, along with anyone else who says that you can pull for both teams. Does Alabama pull for Auburn? Does Texas pull for Texas A&M? This is the problem in a nut shell. Even a guy that loves the Cajuns like my friend does, has managed to be brainwashed by the idiot politicians in BR who have forced LSU on the state as the "flag ship".

Look, I don't pull against LSU when we are not playing them, I am just indifferent, i.e. I just don't care about them.

My point is that as long as you (Jay Walker and everybody else) continue to give credence to the notion that LSU is the only school in this state that is worth supporting and that everybody else needs to "just know their place", then the perception will never change.

This is Lafayette and we are the home of the second largest University in this State and if it weren't for our idiot president holding us back and the ______es in the legislature and on the bench that love to keep us down then we would easily compete with LSU on every level. If you want news about LSU then you should have to listen to the BR stations.

Quote Originally Posted by LLcoolway
    I think UL needs better coverage of UL too. How about a two hour pregame show and a two hour post game show for football and one hour the same for baseball adn baskeball where the fans can call in and fuss or cheer.
    Lost in all this is one undeniable fact--KPEL is a business. Shows need sponsors and advertisers. If those step up to the plate, I'm sure an expanded pre-game and post-game show is a possibility. BOP can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm trying to be empathetic and understand that Scott's having growing pains, but.He seems to be very comfortable in the way he's handling the show. If he's doing nothing but answering calls, then he's obviously got listeners. He has a captured audience. Hopefully this thread will bring some perspective to what this audience wantsAlthough on that note, does he really care what we think? Filling the airwaves is more of a task, than an interest in what the callers have to say. He's probably more concerned with doing the job. Maybe we as listeners care a little to much.

Just a thought.

Rhineaux:

Scott does not need to be dropped right now, and hopefully ESPN 1420 won't drop someone who is still trying to learn his way around hosting his own show. Scott has aspirations like every other good professional. I'm only 2 1/2 years out of college and know I'm still trying to be more efficient in my profession. I would hope my employer's clients aren't calling him asking him to fire me because I'm not a seasoned landman with 10+ years of knowledge. Like Tripple Threat said, Scott has alot of callers. Obviously someone is listening to the show. I listen when I can, though catching 1420 out here in Iota is far from a sure thing.

Kracker LSU:

Check your facts. First of all, Blanco didn't even win Lafayette Parish. I know I sure as hell didn't vote for her. However, if my memory serves me right, she did win East Baton Rouge Parish. LSU's home chose her, NOT UL's home. Second, Blanco wasted no time cutting funds to UL, as she did it within the first year of her term. Therefore, all this "Blanco is all about trying to pump up her almimater" is nothing but pure BS and propaganda from LSU hacks.

By the way, I do root against LSU. The only time I don't is when they play UL-Monroe, though I may decide to switch up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    Not at all. We are very happy to have Scott with us.

Scott is new in this business and is still feeling his way around. He'll be getting plenty of direction from Steve and me. As a young broadcaster he'll make plenty of mistakes. We will be patient. Hope you will be as well.
    Scott had a tough time coming up with topics when Jay was away on vacation. College football teams had not started practice, baseball is in the dog days, and pro preseason games were yet to be played. I can see why he went the "poll" route.

As far as KPEL in general, I would like to see a show dedicated to overall UL athletics. Having Nelson Schexnayder on weekly when he was AD resulted in good info being distributed. David Walker does not do that type of thing so another approach will have to be used. Bird of Paradise, do you have any ideas in this regard. Only person I can think of is Gerald Hebert but the probably does not have time. I wonder if SID personnel could be used. A better idea is to give Dan McDonald a weekly spot on one of the shows. He knows more about what is going on with the actual teams than anyone. He may not know as much as what is going on with things like future schedules and conference issues as someone in the Athletic Department. I would even suggest having Scott host one of these type shows as to do so would force him to learn the details about Cajun athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    Only person I can think of is Gerald Hebert but the probably does not have time.
    I think you would be surprised I bet if you asked Gerald he would make the time. I don't think Gerald would ever pass up a chance like that to market his product.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I just wanted to remind everyone that this line or thread or whatever, was started to state the fact that Scott Prather sucks. Not that I care what you talk about on what thread, I just wanted to restate that fact.

12. Default Re: Great Scott! This station needs a makeover!

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    I just wanted to remind everyone that this line or thread or whatever, was started to state the fact that Scott Prather sucks.
    I was thinking the same thing a little while ago. We are kinda off topic. Oh well.

Default a belfast cowboy

" 23.08.06
    October sees first ever DVD release from Van Morrison

For more then 40 years now the music of Van Morrison has been mesmerizing and captivating audiences around the world. Combining influences as diverse as R&B, jazz, blues, country and Celtic folk, his sound and style has firmly established him as a true innovator of popular music.

Exile Productions are proud to announce the release of the first ever DVD from Van Morrison, titled Live At Montreux 1974/1980, via an exclusive world wide licensing deal with Eagle Vision. Recorded at the world famous Montreux Festival, at which he has performed many times throughout his illustrious career, and personally chosen by Van Morrison himself, Live At Montreux 1974/1980 captures two magical performances over 2 discs that showcase Van at his very best.

Disc one features the complete show from his 1974 appearance and features tracks including I Like It Like That, Foggy Mountain Top, Heathrow Shuffle and Street Choir while disc 2 is the complete show from 1980 and features the tracks Wavelength, Tupelo Honey, Moondance and many more.

Van Morrison – Live At Montreux 1974/1980, scheduled for release on October 16th and following Van’s appearance at this year’s 40th Montreux Festival, is a wonderful look back at one of the greatest songwriters and poets to every grace the worlds stages with his presence and is a must have for all music fans." . http://www.vanmorrison.co.uk/

ps. evening shadows

maybe it's just me although i like the direction this "group of filaments twisted together" is going start another thread if not too much to ask or take it to a chat room although it has been shown many times that in those chat things not everything is as it is portrayed grins

ps. does the oak tree need trimming ? no requirement at all for any "schooling" over here we all type what we want if not nasty personal or "like-matter" i guess it's play i would only guess that next week will be a busy "team fans vs team fans" type fest i would also guess the busiest of the year play tough play smart and remember i am the great snote (giggles)

Quote Originally Posted by snote
    maybe it's just me although i like the direction this "group of filaments twisted together" is going start another thread if not too much to ask or take it to a chat room although it has been shown many times that in those chat things not everything is as it is portrayed grins

ps. does the oak tree need trimming ? no requirement at all for any "schooling" over here we all type what we want if not nasty personal or "like-matter" i guess it's play i would only guess that next week will be a busy "team fans vs team fans" type fest i would also guess the busiest of the year play tough play smart and remember i am the great snote (giggles)

I thought you were spam.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information