Thread: Cajuns Tabbed to Host First Softball Regional Since 2002

1. Default Cajuns Tabbed to Host First Softball Regional Since 2002

LOUISIANA - For the first time since 2002, the University of Louisiana will host an NCAA Softball Regional. The regional begins at Lamson Park this weekend, May 18-20.

The Regional appearance is the 22nd in UL history and 14th straight as the LAdy Cajuns won their 11th Sun Belt Conference Regular Season Championship in the last 12 years.

The Cajuns (49-4) are the No. 14 overall national seed and will face a familiar opponent in Mississippi Valley State in the opening round on Friday, May 18 at 6:00 p.m. UL defeated the Devilettes, 21-0, in the 26th Annual Louisiana Classics on February 12.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to host,” co-head coach Michael Lotief said. “I think it’s a reward and a testament to the girl’s body of work throughout the season. This is big for the fans and community and will help this sport grow. I think our fan support is one of the best in the country.”

Joining UL and MVSU at Lamson Park will be No. 15 Stanford (38-17) and No. 23 Baylor (33-20), who will play the opening game of the regional tournament on Friday at 3:30 p.m.

“These are teams with rich softball history,” Lotief mentioned. “These are teams that have paid the price to win and expect to win. It’s going to be a war and it’s going to be fun.”

The winner of the Lafayette Regional will face winner of the Tempe Regional featuring No. 3 overall seed Arizona State, LIU Brooklyn, Long Beach State and Syracuse for the right to go to the 2012 Women's College World Series.

Fans can begin placing orders for tournament booklets on Monday May 14th at 10 a.m. All orders will be tournament booklets. Single game tickets will go on sale the first day of competition.

2012 softball season ticket holders have until Tuesday, May 15th at 5 p.m. to purchase their seats. Season ticket holders can secure their tickets by logging into their on-line account, using the fax order form, in person at the Cajundome Box Office, or by calling (337)265-2357. Season ticket holders who wish to purchase additional seats will be allocated using the 2012 RCAF Donor level.

2012 RCAF Annual Fund Donors and the general public have until Tuesday May 15th at 5 p.m. to order the best available seats. Fans can use the fax order form, or can call or visit the Cajundome box office to submit their order. After season ticket holder orders have been processed, orders will be filled according to the 2012 RCAF Donor level. All subsequent orders are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

Fans who are interested in joining the RCAF to receive priority seating need to make a donation by Tuesday, May 15th at 5 p.m. by joining on-line, or by calling the UL Athletic Department at (337)482-5393.

Due to limited seating capacity, all ticket orders will be limited to four (4) reserved seat booklets and twelve (12) general admission booklets.

Customers can pick up their ticket booklets beginning Thursday, May 17th at 10 a.m. at the Cajundome Box Office, or can have them held in Will Call at the Lamson Park Ticket Booth. Customers who select Will Call may pick up their ticket booklets starting Friday, May 18 at noon.

Default Re: Cajuns Tabbed to Host First Softball Regional Since 2002

Tough super regional draw for the Cajuns. I was really hoping they wouldn't have to go all the way to California again if they win the Lafayette regional. With a 14 overall seed, it doesn't look like the Cajuns had any shot at a top 8 seed regardless of whether they beat USA or not. A win against them might have kept us from being matched up with the Tempe regional though. Arizona State is going to be determined to beat us after the win in earlier in the season. On the bright side, maybe we have their number this year.

3. UL Softball Re: Cajuns Tabbed to Host First Softball Regional Since 2002

Right you are, this is a hard road, but the team does not look at it like we fans. First I am sure they are all pleased they are rewarded with a home regional, but that is not the goal of this team. ESPN listed teams that have the most regional appearences without a championship trophy. Getting off this list is the goal of this team, our team knows it has to dispose of all teams, and all teams in a regional are capable of beating you.

The goal of this Cajun Squad is a national title. In that quest they will have to dispose of a national seed at least four times in order to attain their goal. Let just say they will take care of one of those in the super regionals, and then they will have only six national seeds at most to bounce.

I would hope the fan base has grown beyond being happy with a regional appearence and a good seeding, but instead are happy for the reward of a regional being awarded, and confident that our team has much higher goal they can acheive.

Default Re: Cajuns Tabbed to Host First Softball Regional Since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Right you are, this is a hard road, but the team does not look at it like we fans. First I am sure they are all pleased they are rewarded with a home regional, but that is not the goal of this team. ESPN listed teams that have the most regional appearences without a championship trophy. Getting off this list is the goal of this team, our team knows it has to dispose of all teams, and all teams in a regional are capable of beating you.

The goal of this Cajun Squad is a national title. In that quest they will have to dispose of a national seed at least four times in order to attain their goal. Let just say they will take care of one of those in the super regionals, and then they will have only six national seeds at most to bounce.

I would hope the fan base has grown beyond being happy with a regional appearence and a good seeding, but instead are happy for the reward of a regional being awarded, and confident that our team has much higher goal they can acheive.
    I'm on board this Express!

Thread Information