Thread: Jonathan Lucroy

1. UL Baseball Jonathan Lucroy

Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns starting catcher Jonathan Lucroy finished the 2006 baseball season as hot as any player in the Sun Belt Conference. The junior carried that momentum into the off-season and was named the Most Valuable Player for the Winter Park Diamond Dawgs.

Lucroy led the entire Florida Collegiate Summer League in homeruns (6), runs batted in (29) and slugging percentage (.589). His efforts earned him the team’s top honor.

The MVP catcher finished with a .326 batting average and stuck out only 7 times in 95 at-bats. Lucroy helped lead the Diamond Dawgs to the FCSL Championship. The Dawgs finished the year with a 13-7 record.

Following the summer season, the Umatilla, Fla. native was named the No. 1 prospect in the FCSL by Baseball America.

“I feel fortunate to be named the team’s MVP and the top prospect,” Lucroy stated. “There are a lot of good players in this league and to be named the top prospect is truly an honor.”

In the fall, Lucroy helped the Ragin’ Cajuns to a 39-20 overall record and a 19-5 Sun Belt record. He finished his sophomore campaign leading UL in most offensive categories. Lucroy led the team in hits (77), doubles (20), homeruns (12), slugging percentage (.610) and RBI (68). He finished the season second in triples (4) and sacrifice flies (7) and third on the team with a .333 batting average.

To go along with his offensive numbers, Lucroy served as the everyday catcher for the 24th ranked Cajuns pitching staff.

LOUISIANA SI

UL Baseball Re: Lucroy Named Diamond Dawgs Most Valuable Player

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    I followed Jonathon Lucroy's play in the FCSL, FLA. Collegiate Summer League, and as stated he did very well. He not only played baseball, but attended a Jr College near his hometown of Umatilla, FL to get ahead of his course work at UL. Sounds like he should be ready for the coming season. Then we will have to wait and see where he winds up in the draft. Sure would like to see him finish his collegiate career at UL, buuuttt.....

Default Re: Lucroy Named Diamond Dawgs Most Valuable Player

Cant wait for baseball season to start..

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS
    Cant wait for baseball season to start..
    JMV at the moment you are in the minority, but it speaks well for your passion.

As excited as I am about football, I can't wait for baseball. We have some unfinished business from last season.

Are any of you playing in the golf benefit on September 18?

If you are, I'll see you there.

Way to Geaux Jonathan. You are in good company Phillip Hawke won the MVP award in his league two years ago.

7. UL Baseball Lucroy gets rave reviews in summer league

UL baseball followers have known for a while that Jonathan Lucroy was a special talent at catcher.

Now more people know it. Lucroy had a stellar summer in the Florida Collegiate Summer League for his Winter Park team, one good enough to catch the attention of a Baseball America magazine that has many times in the past treated the Cajuns like dirt in their spikes.

The magazine tabbed Lucroy as the top prospect in the Florida league, as part of its coverage of 18 different collegiate summer leagues.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

8. UL Baseball After summer of success, Lucroy gunning for more in baseball

He never swung a baseball bat in his backyard trying to hit like Mike Piazza would.

He never put on a catcher's mask with aspirations of picking off a runner like Ivan Rodriguez would.

And he never dreamed what it would be like to be the next A.J. Pierzynski or Jason Varitek -- former Central Florida high school catchers now starring in Major League Baseball.

Jonathan Lucroy can't remember ever trying to emulate the best from the pros.

"My whole life, I've always wanted to be the best," Lucroy said. "My dad was always telling me, 'You have to separate yourself.' When you do that, you separate yourself from everybody in a good way. That's how you get noticed.

"I don't want to be like anybody. I just want to be my own player."

With awards and praise coming from every direction, the former Umatilla High slugger may one day have young players striving to be like him. That's if he already doesn't have a few here in Florida or in Louisiana, where he has shined in Division I baseball the past two seasons for University of University of Louisiana.

The rest of the story

Justin Fiore Mckim
    Special to the Sentinel

Thread Information