Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2006 BullGator Mascot Idea

Default Re: Mascot Idea

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave1
    Great Job CajunFan64!!!!

I really appreciate your attempt to improve the Ragin Cajun mascot and I can see that you really put in some valuable time and effort into "Fideaux" the Gator! But I think that taking on a Gator to represent the "Ragin Cajuns" would not be in our best interest.

However, since you are apparently very talented, I would be very curious to see what you could do to come up with a Crawfish mascot, as was mentioned in a few other responses.

I was thinking that maybe you could incorporate our current "Pepper" (used for seasoning) logo with a "Mean Looking Crawfish" of some kind!!!!

Ragin Cajuns and Crawfish, it doesn't get any better than that in my opinion! Also, it would keep everything about our nickname and mascot "Very" unique within the entire relm of the NCAA!!!

Just another thought.

Just my .02 worth. The crawfish will be confused with a lobster and looks a bit rediculous in costume. Other options to consider:

Bullgator - Could be good since the stadium is the Swamp and we have a swamp on campus. Who cares if Florida already uses the Gator. Let's see, how many Tiger mascots are there? LSU, Auburn, Memphis, Missouri. Or Cowboys? McNeese, Wyoming, Oklahoma State. Or Eagles? Southern Miss, Boston College. Or Bulldogs? LA Tech, Miss. State, Fresno State. Or Aggies? Texas A&M, Utah State, New Mexico State.

CatahoULa - State Dog and would tie us into the name Louisiana

Pelican - State Bird, and would tie us into the name Louisiana. I suggested a few years ago before Tulane picked it up to use the Pelican, build a sanctuary near the stadium and actually have 2 live pelicans, one named Louie and the other Ana, and have them both in costume on the sidelines. Too bad Tulane has now adopted the Pelican.

Those are just a few that came to mind. We can't worry about another schools mascot. We need to pick what is right for UL. We could still name the mascot Louie or ULA or something that ties in with our name "Louisiana". Now agreeing on a mascot is another matter.

And, while we are at it, how about changing the name of the football stadium to Louisiana Stadium and Cajun Dome Blvd. to Louisiana Blvd.? Let's do all that we can to tie us into the name "Louisiana".

2. Default Re: Mascot Idea

just think how cool it would be to have a pregame tradition of taking a gator out of the swamp on campus bringing him to the game and then after the game he goes back to the swamp. A fearsome mascot who lives in the heart of UL. Now that would be cool. Now how you do all of that I don't know. I just think it could be a cool new tradition.

3. Default Re: Mascot Idea

Why not a Bulldog named Cajun? A link from your past to who you are today.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Mascot Idea

Quote Originally Posted by TexAg77
    Why not a Bulldog named Cajun? A link from your past to who you are today.
    English Bulldogs were brought back without any interest. I do like the Catahoula Hound, a damn good dog for any self respecting Cajun, and what the heck a mascot is nothing more than a good luck charm being living, an article, or a symbol of an organization.

As far as I can see it is a unique dog that can be tied to Louisiana. What would the typical person think when they hear or see BullGator? I sure haven't a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    English Bulldogs were brought back without any interest. I do like the Catahoula Hound, a damn good dog for any self respecting Cajun, and what the heck a mascot is nothing more than a good luck charm being living, an article, or a symbol of an organization.

As far as I can see it is a unique dog that can be tied to Louisiana. What would the typical person think when they hear or see BullGator? I sure haven't a clue.
    Isn't a catahoula hound just a mixed mutt? I had never heard of them before.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard150
    don't know too much about dogs?
    The dogs are actually very interesting... and recognized as the state dog of Louisiana...

http://www.catahoulas.org/catahoula.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Pirogue
    don't know too much about dogs?
    The dogs are actually very interesting... and recognized as the state dog of Louisiana...

http://www.catahoulas.org/catahoula.htm
    I might have to get one. Leonard's Leopard

8. Default Re: Mascot Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard150
    In this part of LA the Catahoula is a well known breed of dog. Of course any breed can have "mutts", if they crossbreed. In this case we are talking pure bred.

The Catahoula is an old breed of dog, one that is used for working cattle, hogs, and wild animals. They are brave, intelligent, and spirited. They adapt to obedience training, and require exercise or work to lower their level of energy. One of the biggest faults of the breed is that some are born deaf, which really makes them useless.

9. Default Re: BullGator Mascot Idea

Original concept 11 years ago this month.

CajunFan64

Default Re: BullGator Mascot Idea

108 years too late. Making a guy in a Bobby Jindal costume look viable. "T- minou" the red and white striped Cajun Tiger makes as much sense. Give it up Turb.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan64 View Post
    I've been playing around with new mascots, just because I really don't like Cayenne. So I liked Turbine's idea of using a Bull Gator, since they are indigenous to Louisiana and their is only one other team in the country that uses the mascot. Now I love Ragin Cajuns, and that should be our bread and butter, but why not use a gator just as our mascot. Here is my rendition of what it could look like, I liked Fideaux (pronounced Fy-Doe), just because I heard it somewhere and it made me laugh, but I also like Rage as a name too. I wasn't really sure about the cut off blue jeans but I figured why not, just wanted to get some opinons on it. Because from what I understand there are alot of people like me, that just don't like Cayenne so maybe if some influencial people see my idea and like it, they can pass it on to the governing bodies who make these decisions. Gimmie your opinions, like, what I can change, or if you just don't like it at all. I did it with a simple paint program so its not gonna be perfect. Also I started with just a plain Gator I found on the internet, and added the Jersey, and pants. I don't know what kind of copy right there is on that Gator but I'm sure we could use a similar one. Lemme know what yall think.
    I'll say what know one else will. Looks like a gaytor. Just saying, can't be the only one out there thinking this. Please don't take as a personal attack even though I do disagree with the mascot idea of a gator.

12. Default Re: BullGator Mascot Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    108 years too late. Making a guy in a Bobby Jindal costume look viable. "T- minou" the red and white striped Cajun Tiger makes as much sense. Give it up Turb.
    The gator is featured in more UL yearbooks,than any other animal or mascot.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The gator is featured in more UL yearbooks,than any other animal or mascot.
    Still trails live oak, spanish moss and in separate poll- former Governor Bobby Jindal. Maintains narrow lead over "T-Minou" the red and white striped Cajun Tiger.

14. Default Re: BullGator Mascot Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    Still trails live oak, spanish moss and in separate poll- former Governor Bobby Jindal. Maintains narrow lead over "T-Minou" the red and white striped Cajun Tiger.
    Link or shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Link or shrink.
    Revisit your yearbooks, live oaks and Spanish moss appear more than alligators. It's not even close. I'm personally fond of alligators, have even owned a pair of Catahoula curs years ago but acknowledge they too are a poor choice for a UL mascot. Take this from someone with the foresight to have never voted for Jindal. Next time you can't sleep try counting sheep instead of gators.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information