Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cajun Softball Adjusted RPI at #12 this week .

1. UL Softball Cajun Softball Adjusted RPI at #12 this week .

Base RPI at #11.

Brian

Default Re: Cajun Softball Adjusted RPI at #12 this week .

i expected a little worse.so this isn't too bad.

We needed those games against Arizona and North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    Sono shot of being a national seed ?

I'm guessing Regional but no national seed. That's a shame. There is little to suggest that this team is not one of the 8 best in the country. RPI might be the BCS of the diamond sports.

6. Default Re: Cajun Softball Adjusted RPI at #12 this week .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    i expected a little worse.so this isn't too bad.
    Unfortunately, #13 -> #17 are breathing down our neck (there is a bit of a gap between #17 and #18). And guess what? They are all teams from the Elite 4 conferences that will benefit from the RPI bias down the stretch.

The RPI bias continues its work as it does at the end of every season. The quality teams from smaller conferences are being shoved further down the list. The only representation in the non Elite 4 conferences comes from Louisville at #10 (plays in the #5 conference and they are 43-2 on the year) and Louisiana at #12 and 41-2 on the year. Hawaii now finds itself at #18, down from #14 last week.

Brian

Okay, now I'm nervous. Are our Regional hosting hopes dying now as well despite the fact that we keep winning? If we win out I would like to see the selection committee justify why a 50 plus and 2 team is not hosting.

8. Default Re: Cajun Softball Adjusted RPI at #12 this week .

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    Winning both games against Arizona and North Carolina would have moved the Cajuns only to the #9 position this week, significantly distant from Oregon at #8. Arizona and Louisville at #10 and #11 would be right on the Cajuns' heels. It would give the Cajuns two extra games vs. the RPI Top 25.

Splitting those games would have left the Cajuns barely at #11, a hair ahead of Texas A&M. A&M would have passed the Cajuns in the coming weeks with their remaining schedule.

Brian

The only thing we control is winning out.The human factor in Regional selection will be on our side.

Quote Originally Posted by tank View Post
    The only thing we control is winning out.The human factor in Regional selection will be on our side.
    We can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I'm guessing Regional but no national seed. That's a shame. There is little to suggest that this team is not one of the 8 best in the country. RPI might be the BCS of the diamond sports.
    Only institutions of higher learning could figure out a way to lower your ranking by constantly winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Only institutions of higher learning could figure out a way to lower your ranking by constantly winning.
    Brian,

Because of your presence here, we are probably the most informed and educated fanbase with regard to all things RPI anywhere. Thanks for that.

I know you don't like the RPI in its current form, so what would (in your opinion) make it more accurate? In the case of UL run-ruling FAU in all three games, might the addition of that stat alone (run-rule sweep) factor into the RPI formulae? Mercy victories, margin of victories, etc? Should some consideration be given for the "decimation" factor? The mercy rule already protects most teams from the ULs of the world from running up the score, so where's the harm in rewarding a team in our situation from beating weaker teams, and convincingly?

I realize I am preaching to the choir, but just curious of your take.

Brian.considering how well you know and understand the RPI system as it is currently set up, I'm more interested in how YOU think it should be changed. I think I can list at least ONE change you'd put in place.weighting road wins over home wins.and home losses more so than road losses.like baseball will do beginning next year.

Brian.considering how well you know and understand the RPI system as it is currently set up, I'm more interested in how YOU think it should be changed. I think I can list at least ONE change you'd put in place.weighting road wins over home wins.and home losses more so than road losses.like baseball will do beginning next year.
    Reference Boyd Nation's ISR for baseball. This is definitely a starting point.

15. UL Softball Re: Cajun Softball Adjusted RPI at #12 this week .

Quote Originally Posted by LFTCajun View Post
    Brian,

Because of your presence here, we are probably the most informed and educated fanbase with regard to all things RPI anywhere. Thanks for that.
    Thanks LFTCajun.

I will attempt to combine a reply to two similar posts.

As a background, you can refer to this post earlier in the month.

I know you don't like the RPI in its current form, so what would (in your opinion) make it more accurate?
    There are many things you could do to make the RPI more accurate than it is at present (and less biased) . but that is not nearly enough in my opinion. It really needs to be replaced in its entirety because the core algorithm is severely lacking. As outlined in the post above, it all comes down to the RPI having a significant flaw in how SOS is calculated. To fix this, you need to develop a new algorithm. I would argue that this algorithm must recursively descend through all opponent connections until a cycle is reached for each given connection. A cycle would be defined by reaching a team that you reached in a prior traversal. Without the cycle detection, the algorithm would loop indefinitely. If your rating system is a W/L rating system (as the RPI and other similar systems are), this would be a much accurate way of determining real SOS . with the purpose of SOS being to place your W/L record in the proper context. RPI only takes you down to your opponents' opponents.

Of course, it is more complex than the RPI formula/algorithm. But that is more of a matter for the developer writing the software. There are other systems that I am sure would be quite acceptable. The ISR should get a serious look as it is similar in nature to the above in that it uses a similar recursion to go deep to understand SOS.

In the case of UL run-ruling FAU in all three games, might the addition of that stat alone (run-rule sweep) factor into the RPI formulae? Mercy victories, margin of victories, etc? Should some consideration be given for the "decimation" factor? The mercy rule already protects most teams from the ULs of the world from running up the score, so where's the harm in rewarding a team in our situation from beating weaker teams, and convincingly?
    I would not be interested in margin of victory being any part of the equation. I think it would be bad for the sport and would encourage manipulation. Even with the mercy rule in place, it might encourage coaches to overuse their ace pitcher (as an example) in the hopes of gaining favor in the mathematical system. Besides, a mercy rule is another arbitrary constant introduced into the formula that would skew margin of victory. I think it should be about winning and losing.

So, from reading the above, you know how I think it should be changed.

If you told me the only thing I could do is "apply lipstick to the pig", I would probably do the following .

- I would remove the ridiculous and arbitrary bonus systems. Softball is the most egregious . in fact it is downright folly. But baseball has its has bonus system problems as well (which will be removed next season).
    - Yes, weighting home and road games differently is important. But what baseball has provided for this does not fully address the problem . in fact it barely touches upon it. Next year, a home win will count as .7 wins and a road win will count as 1.3 wins. Aside from the fact that the ratio favors road wins too much in baseball (which is another discussion), this mechanism only accounts for home/road adjustments to WP . which is only 25% of the formula!
    - The weighting between WP, OWP, and OOWP would need to change. I would also add OOOWP . it does not fix all of the problems, but does improve the situation. I have not arrived at the appropriate weightings (simply because I have not studied the matter) . a regression test would be required. But I can assure you that it would not be 25/50/25.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information