Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 . LastLast

Thread: 2006 LSU-45 UL-3

1. UL Football Cajuns preparing on many fronts

The challenge for the University of Louisiana football team isn't necessarily a nationally-ranked LSU team this Saturday.

It's battling the Tigers' tradition, according to UL coach Rickey Bustle, and trying to get his squad to transition from training-camp mode to game-week mode.

"They have such great tradition," Bustle said of his team's 7 p.m. Saturday opponent in Tiger Stadium. "That's the kind of thing we're trying to start back up here. They expect to be one of the top teams in the country every year."

The Tigers are ranked eighth in the Associated Press poll and ninth in the USA Today coaches poll going into the season opener, and are coming off an 11-2 season and a 40-3 win over ninth-ranked Miami in the Peach Bowl.

The Cajuns won their last five games last season after a 1-5 start, claiming a share of the Sun Belt Conference title in the process. Bustle said Monday his team has to rekindle that success after being off the competition field and on the practice field for the better part of nine months.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Homes SO Clean

2. UL Football Tigers expect better Cajuns

The University of Louisiana hasn’t scored against LSU since 1924. You’d think that would be enough time to find a weakness.

Luke Skywalker and the Rebel Alliance found a vulnerability in the Death Star and destroyed it before it could become fully operational. The Ragin’ Cajuns will make their 18th trip to Baton Rouge to play LSU with little hope of locating a fatal flaw in Death Valley on a season-opening Saturday night.

Still, it’s doubtful any of the previous ULL teams that played in Tiger Stadium brought with them as sophisticated and accomplished an offense as the one fifth-year coach Rickey Bustle is preparing for the 7 p.m. Saturday kickoff.

LSU players began studying the Cajuns on videotape Thursday and discovered a team that ranks third in Division I-A in the number of rushing yards (2,566) and rushing touchdowns (31) back from last season in the form of returning players. Only No. 5-ranked West Virginia and No. 9-ranked California return more.

By comparison, No. 8-ranked LSU returns players who accounted for 664 rushing yards and nine rushing touchdowns last season. The Tigers lost Joe Addai — and his 911 yards and nine touchdowns — to the Indianapolis Colts, but LSU has a potential wild-card ace in the return of Alley Broussard.

Broussard, LSU’s leading rusher in 2004, ran for 867 yards and 10 touchdowns as a sophomore but missed last season with a knee injury.

He’s back. How far back remains to be played out on the field.

The Tigers know what ULL returns. Back for his sophomore season is Tyrell Fenroy, who set school records last year with 1,053 rushing yards and five 100-yard games. Quarterbacks Jerry Babb and Michael Desormeaux are back and can run and pass.

The Cajuns have three returning offensive linemen who started last season.

The rest of the story

By CARL DUBOIS
    Advocate sportswriter

Homes SO Clean

3. Default Good luck

Hello Cajuns.
    This being my first post and all, let me start by saying that I for one will be supporting all schools from Louisiana. I really dont see where the bad blood comes from.
    That said, I wish you all good luck for the game on Saturday. Cant wait to see our Tigers play. I hope its the same way for you all.
    Here is to a good game with no injuries :cheers:

Geaux Tigers!

Default Re: Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by lsufan_MD
    Hello Cajuns.
    This being my first post and all, let me start by saying that I for one will be supporting all schools from Louisiana. I really dont see where the bad blood comes from.
    That said, I wish you all good luck for the game on Saturday. Cant wait to see our Tigers play. I hope its the same way for you all.

Geaux Tigers!
    Did you go to LSU? You seem to have a different air about you, I wish all Tiger fans presented themselves the way you have. (not to say none do, but they are few and far between) anyway, thanks and good luck in return

GEAUX CAJUNS!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Good luck

Hello Cajuns.

Geaux Tigers!
    I Hope it is also a good game free of injuries both on the field and in the stands.
    It is obvious that you have never been to an UL vs LSU baseball game at the box. Then the light would hit you or being a UL grad, be the only one from your school to work in an all LSU environment. Needless to say, I had my fill .

Once again, I hope it is a good game free of injuries. ENJOY YOUR TAILGATING.

6. Default Re: Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife
    Did you go to LSU?
    GEAUX CAJUNS!
    Yes, class of 1999. Its been while since I graduated.

Hello Cajuns.

Geaux Tigers!
    wait a minute!!! you wished us luck without a back handed comment?

NO $#%&#$% WAY!!!!

Thanks, and best of luck to the Tigers.

L'Ronte'

Hello Cajuns.

Geaux Tigers!
    good luck to you guys as well. thank you for representing LSU with class. much appreciated. hope we both come out injury free!

9. UL Football Re: Countdown to Kickoff 3 days

UL Fact: UL will try to carry over a hot offense into the 2006 season. In last year's season-ending 54-21 win at UL Monroe, Cajun rushers totaled 343 yards and UL's offense rolled up 425 yards for its fourth straight 400- yard performance.

The rest of the story

Homes SO Clean

This is so COOL WHO WILL TAILGATE SATURDAY?

Everyone ( all Cajun fans) are invited to our tailgate party. We will be on the side of Kirby Smith dorm. I will be the guy with the purple LSU hat on.

Default Re: WHO WILL TAILGATE SATURDAY?

Quote Originally Posted by TGK4LSU
    Everyone ( all UL fanss) are invited to our tailgate party. We will be on the side of Kirby Smith dorm. I will be the guy with the purple LSU hat on.
    Cool, I'll be the guy with a red shirt on.

12. Default Re: Countdown to Kickoff 2 days

UL: Saturday's game will be the 19th time that the Cajuns have played a ranked opponent, and the ninth against a top-10 team. UL is 1-17 against the ranked foes, beating Texas A&M in 1996, and has opened seasons against ranked teams five different times.

The rest of the story

Homes SO Clean

13. UL Football Some Cajuns have connection to B.R.

For a handful of players on the University of Louisiana football squad, facing off with LSU this Saturday carries a little more meaning than just an opening game, a game against a state rival or a game against a top-10 opponent.

For some, like Brent Burkhalter and Sharrick Moore, it's a family affair.

For Johnny Felders and Hall Davis, it's a buddy thing.

Burkhalter, a returning starter at linebacker for the Cajuns, was a Tiger Stadium fixture as a kid and during his days at Parkview Baptist High. Even during the time when he and his mother lived in Ruston prior to his high school days, the two made trips back to Baton Rouge on home-game weekends.

"I went to games all the time," Burkhalter said. "My mom went to LSU for a while, and we'd drive back since my grandparents were still there. In high school I'd go with my friends. It was always a neat experience."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Some Cajuns have connection to B.R.

Re: Some Cajuns have connection to B.R.

Amazing, who would have thought something like that could ever happen.

Default Re: WHO WILL TAILGATE SATURDAY?

Quote Originally Posted by KACajun
    Cool, I'll be the guy with a red shirt on.
    Wait, I'm wearing a red shirt!

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 . LastLast

Thread Information