Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2006-07 Volunteer Days

Default 2006-07 Volunteer Days

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy

Whatever duty called them, be it pruning the trees or carrying out 20-year-old trash from unused concession stands, dozens of volunteers descended upon the University of Louisiana's athletic facilities for a much-needed facelift during the weekend.

The work started Friday afternoon, with a handful of people coming out just to help and get started on the weekend's larger tasks, including pressure washing nearly every surface they can reach.

Some volunteers said they went just to give back a little bit to the university.

"The university gives a lot to the community and the community needs to give a little bit back. Say what you want, but Lafayette's a college town," said Lee Venable, whose son, Justin, plays football for the Ragin' Cajuns. "We don't mind helping out a bit. We take real pride in the university and to help them out is great. The players appreciate it; the coaches appreciate it. They work hard all year so the least we can give them is a weekend."

Every little bit helps, even when all you can do is help out for a little bit like Gregory Faust, who said he won't be able to come today and Sunday, so he came Friday for a few hours to lend a hand.

"It's an improvement every year," he said. "It's just a great way to give back to the university. We'll be here at least until they shut us down tonight."

This weekend's work is the second time the group of volunteers have come together in consecutive years to help maintain the facilities, said UL Athletic Development Coordinator Gerald Hebert. The efforts go a long way for everyone involved, he said.

"It's an opportunity for people who can't give money to support us and help out in other ways. It really makes a difference. They save our maintenance staff a lot of time and energy, they save the university a lot of money," he said.

The repairs, cleaning and painting will lead the way for the second phase of improvements, including new surfaces for the roads and parking lots around the fields, Hebert said.

"In a few weeks you'll really be able to see the difference," he said.

And the difference may get reflected in the box scores during the season.

"We're going 11-0 in football so we might as well have a nice stadium, too," Venable said.

The rest of the story

Jordan Hernandez
    jhernandez@theadvertiser.com

Default 2006-07 Volunteer Days

It's getting close to the time that the planning meetings for "Volunteer Days" usually take place.

Does anyone have any information on this years Volunteer days? Planning meetings? Event dates? etc

Default Re: Volunteer Days

Does anyone know if we plan to finish repainting the top of the scoreboard and everything else that has turned pink in the stadium.

Default Re: Volunteer Days

gotta get that place looking beautiful for the first home blowout

heh heh.

5. Ragin' Cajuns Painting Earl K Long Gym

UL volleyball coach Amy Kraljev has put out the call for help. She's looking for anyone who can hold a paint brush, and who can donate four hours of their time during the weekend of Aug. 4-6.

Kraljev, in her sixth year on the UL volleyball staff and entering her second as head coach, has scheduled volunteer work days at venerable Earl K. Long Gym for that Friday through Sunday.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

UL Volleyball Re: Volunteer Days: Break out the paint brushes for EKL Gym

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    I know that if this was a call to help with the football or basketball program you would all be lining up to help. If I lived in Lafayette I would be there with bells on (seeing as how my daughter is on the team). Please, Please, take a few hours and help the volleyball program out. The girls are really working hard and I believe this will be the beginning of great things for the Volleyball program.

THANK YOU!
    Cajun VB Mom

7. Default Re: Volunteer Days: Break out the paint brushes for EKL Gym

Quote Originally Posted by cajunvbmom
    Please, Please, take a few hours and help the volleyball program out. The girls are really working hard and I believe this will be the beginning of great things for the Volleyball program.
    I have a feeling you might be right.

ps message to Amy between 7-9am call stevie P at 269-1077 to promo the team and volunteer work days.

If you don't I will

8. Default Re: Volunteer Days: Break out the paint brushes for EKL Gym

The University of Louisiana is calling for help in “sprucing up” its Earl K. Long Gym for the women’s volleyball and basketball teams.

The work will be done from Friday through Sunday, and includes repainting the fan area of the gym, the lobby, the locker rooms and some student-athlete lounges.

Work hours will be 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday; 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday; and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.

Volunteers can set up any amount of time to work, from a few hours one day to some time each day.

Food and drinks will be provided for workers.

Capital One, which is sponsoring an upcoming volleyball tournament in the gym, is also signing up its bank employees to help.

Volunteers are asked to call head volleyball coach Amy Kraljev at (337) 482-6327 to help coordinate times.

The source of the story

9. Louisiana Campus UL seeks volunteers for Earl K. Long repainting

The University of Louisiana is seeking volunteers for painting and cleaning of Earl K. Long Gym this weekend, starting from 3-8 p.m. today.

Volunteers will be repainting the fan area of the gym, the lobby, locker rooms and lounges from 3-8 p.m. today, from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday and from noon-6 p.m. Sunday. Interested fans may call volleyball coach Amy Kraljev at 482-6327 to volunteer for times.

UL's volleyball team opens its 2006 season Aug. 25-26 when it hosts the Capital One Classic at Long Gym, with Mississippi State, Southern Mississippi and Southeastern Louisiana taking part.

The source of the story

UL Volleyball Re: Volunteer Days: Break out the paint brushes for EKL Gym

Quote Originally Posted by cajunvbmom
    I know that if this was a call to help with the football or basketball program you would all be lining up to help. If I lived in Lafayette I would be there with bells on (seeing as how my daughter is on the team). Please, Please, take a few hours and help the volleyball program out. The girls are really working hard and I believe this will be the beginning of great things for the Volleyball program.

THANK YOU!
    Cajun VB Mom
    Anybody with a few hours should indeed try to help.

I understand your feelings, but I would want you to consider that there have been several major volunteer events and many minor ones. In all the prior cases the coaches made arragements with the followers of the sports to enlist the volunteers much earlier. I like yourself cannot be in Lafayette this week or I would be glad to help.

Late in the summer many people are taking last minute vacations, and preparing for school. So it is not an entirely minor sport vs major sport thing. You post starts off trying to shame people into working the volunteer days. That usually does not get the job done when it comes to volunteers. What gets the job done is a having a core group of leaders.

I am not bashing your request, but I think this could have been brought together much better by those in need. Mens football and basketball have a much stonger following, but that is the universe we live in.

The current painting of the football stadium was taken on by two indivduals without the help of others, or the university. Sometimes those who want something need to take things into their own hands.

11. Default Re: Volunteer Days: Break out the paint brushes for EKL Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I have a feeling you might be right.

ps message to Amy between 7-9am call stevie P at 269-1077 to promo the team and volunteer work days.

If you don't I will
    I heard Amy call Scott Prather (filling in on Birds Eye View) with a request yesterday.

I love coaches who promo their own programs.

In the pics below A WHOLE LOT of SANDING going on. These are the last views of the Vermilion & White look. The benches will be black and the rest Vermilion.

I wish I had showed everyone how to do the UL hand sign and not just one student. It made her smile.
    Attached Images Attached Images                

12. Default Re: Volunteer "TODAY" Earl K Long Gym

Finbal touches to the bleachers being done today. Capitol One very involved.

Here is a 2004-white to 2006-vermilion transition.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Final Volunteer Day "TODAY" Earl K Long Gym

Its looking really good in there.

Default Re: Painting Earl K Long Gym

looks great

Default Re: Painting Earl K Long Gym

fantastic, wish i could have helped

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information