Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ragin' Cajuns to field an Ice Hockey Team

1. Ragin' Cajuns Ragin' Cajuns to field an Ice Hockey Team

The University of Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns will field an ice hockey team this year. The team will join the ACHA as a DIII team and will play a limited 12 game schedule this season.

The Cajun Catahoulas are a major sponsor of the Ragin' Cajuns hockey program and will be establishing a scholarship for the new team. We look forward to a very beneficial relationship between the two teams.

The source of the story

ACHA

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns to field an Ice Hockey Team

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy

does this mean that we will be able to get a men's soccer team? i know this may not directly relate to ice hockey but i was told that there has to be two ncaa sports introduced at the same time, i heard to get a men's soccer team we were going to get a women's swim team. any word would be great

3. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns to field an Ice Hockey Team

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife
    does this mean that we will be able to get a men's soccer team? i know this may not directly relate to ice hockey but i was told that there has to be two ncaa sports introduced at the same time, i heard to get a men's soccer team we were going to get a women's swim team. any word would be great
    UL had a mens soccer team in the late 70's all International students I think.

I heard (not verifed) the pool was built 5 feet to short to be able to field a swim team.

Would Title IX come into play if no scholarships were given?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    heard (not verifed) the pool was built 5 feet to short to be able to field a swim team.
    heard the same

meh. I play for the Roller hockey team and we dont get much attention and that is expected as we are only a club team. I dont know how this affects us, but I'm sure some of the roller players will switch over especially since we dont have a great relationship with the SCHL (roller league).

I don't know. This pleases me. I was a huge fan of the Ice Gators. It's partially why I came to UL. I fell in love with Lafayette after traveling to see them since 1995. Though it probably won't be popular, I'll support it as much as I can. I wish I were good enough to try out. Guess I need to start training at the plex. Hah.

7. Default Acadiana Favorite Ron Handy attempts to bring ice hockey to UL

Ron Handy wants the University of Louisiana to have an ice hockey team.
    Really.

He's ready to put down ice in Blackham Coliseum to make this happen.

No fooling.

The concept isn't as far-fetched as it sounds. There's an organization already in place, the American Collegiate Hockey Association, which has 29 teams in a South division that includes squads in Florida, Alabama and Georgia. Handy's had conversations with the group and some of its member schools.

There's a system on the market that makes ice rinks possible in non-traditional arena settings. Handy's had the owners of that system visit Blackham to determine its feasibility.

He's had discussions with UL coordinator of athletic development Gerald Hebert about fielding a team under the university's banner, one which Handy would coach. He's hoping to meet with UL interim athletic director David Walker in the near future.

"It would be great to have a team," Handy said Thursday, "and Blackham could be a great facility."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Homes SO Clean

This is great news. I hope the university goes for it. I would be the happiest UL student on campus. heh

Quote Originally Posted by keithj
    This is great news. I hope the university goes for it. I would be the happiest UL student on campus. heh
    My only concern would be that it would not get as much support as it needs. I hope it all goes well and we get a hockey team but I will have my doubts about it untill I see that the community and school with support it.

One thing I really liked in the article was how Handy said he would get the sponsorships and get the money needed to get it off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    My only concern would be that it would not get as much support as it needs. I hope it all goes well and we get a hockey team but I will have my doubts about it untill I see that the community and school with support it.
    I guess we'll find out if all those Ice Gator fans really liked hockey, or if they just went to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by CDeb
    I guess we'll find out if all those Ice Gator fans really liked hockey, or if they just went to be seen.
    That is very true.

I know I'll be there and I'll try to stir up support as much as possible. Hockey runs through my veins. :/

this is ridiculous. the football needs about 50 million dollars to survive in D-1 over the next decade and they are going to dump money into hockeyugh.

I wonder if Ray et al actually sit around and think this _____ up.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunWave
    this is ridiculous. the football needs about 50 million dollars to survive in D-1 over the next decade and they are going to dump money into hockeyugh.

I wonder if Ray et al actually sit around and think this _____ up.
    Did you bother to read the story it says no cost tothe U

15. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns to field an Ice Hockey Team

Can Blackham handle a full size ice rink?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information