Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cajuns Softball needs more national respect

Default Cajuns Softball needs more national respect

We have a good team year in and year out. We have beaten everyone including the defending national champs and can't get higher the #6 in the polls (which I don't liek or understand the polls) so why can't the Lady Cajuns get more national respect???

Default Re: Cajuns Softball needs more national respect

As much as I love the Cajuns, I think they are about where I would put them. The difference is the teams ahead of them have played a schedule with a number of top 20 teams on them. Like GoneGolfin has said in other threads, the worrysome part is that with the major conferences (PAC12, Big12, SEC) into their conference regular seasons, they'll be picking up many more points to move them up in both of the polls, but more importantly the RPI. Even if the Cajuns go undefeated the rest of the season, our RPI will be going down due to Opponents Winning Percentage (OWP) and Opponents Opponents Winning Percentage (OOWP), which constitues 75% of the RPI. I'm just hoping we continue winning and can stay in the top 10 or the regular polls.

I'm tired of hearing about the major conferences. Only major cuz NCAA put them there. money money moneykills me. Hope they keep kicking butt too.

I don't disagree where it comes to the advantages they get for "in-conference" bonuses regarding the RPI numbers, and GoneGolfin had noted the unfairness of those on other threads in this forum. I was just speaking to the relative schedules to this point in the year.

oh i understand

6. Default Re: Cajuns Softball needs more national respect

Quote Originally Posted by veedreen View Post
    oh i understand

There is NO logic, ZERO logic to advance a team that is losing games. Anyone can lose games. This RPI thing is fine, but again ZERO logic, NO logic to advance a team that say goes 1-4 simply because they lose to teams that almost everyone loses to. I do value a win against a powerful team, but place almost no value to a loss other than to say so you lost too, nice try.

Now a lost to a bad team should hurt, and I think that the loss to Troy WAS a bad thing for a potential national seed to suffer. You know we are not alone in loses to less than stellar teams. Almost all the teams in the top 20 have one bad loss to account for. Some from power conferences that may eclipse the Cajuns will have more bad loses than we will.

You are right but I don't think 1 conference should be considered a better conference than another just because of $$$$ or the NCAA. UL softball has been cream of the crop for a long time. The nation needs to acknowledge that

8. UL Softball Re: Cajuns Softball needs more national respect

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Now a lost to a bad team should hurt, and I think that the loss to Troy WAS a bad thing for a potential national seed to suffer. You know we are not alone in loses to less than stellar teams.
    A loss to Troy (on the road, I might add) is not a bad loss. When you earn RPI bonus points (because the opposition is in the Base RPI Top 50) for two of the games in a three game series, the one loss is not a bad loss.

Brian

Having voted on various national polls/awards in the past and even now, I can tell you some voters don't do much homework and look merely at school names. They rarely, if ever, cared about schools other than the "high-majors" regardless of records, strength of schedule, etc. Had many frustrating conversations with my peers over the years.

it is all BS. Look at each school not just for who they are

Good enthusiasm, poor research. The Cajuns are about where they would expect to be. I think if you ask the coaches, they would say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by veedreen View Post
    We have a good team year in and year out. We have beaten everyone including the defending national champs and can't get higher the #6 in the polls (which I don't liek or understand the polls) so why can't the Lady Cajuns get more national respect???

12. UL Softball Re: Cajuns Softball needs more national respect

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Good enthusiasm, poor research. The Cajuns are about where they would expect to be. I think if you ask the coaches, they would say the same.
    Fish here is the rub. We could have played both Arizona, and North Carolina, loss and get help with our RPI. Now if we win both those of course so much the better.

That is all Veedreen is saying.

Of course the coaches say the right thing they have a lot more class than us fans, or perhaps a lot more self control.

13. Default Re: Cajuns Softball needs more national respect

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Fish here is the rub. We could have played both Arizona, and North Carolina, loss and get help with our RPI. Now if we win both those of course so much the better.
    For the Cajuns, losses to Arizona and North Carolina would be about break even w/respect to the RPI value. For a team like South Alabama or Troy, they would see an RPI increase.

Brian

14. UL Softball Re: Cajuns Softball needs more national respect

I can visualize those numbers in my minds eye, kind of. ;8)

who cares? one step at a time. Let's win the regional, win the super regional and go from there. We'll get all the attention we can handle if we step it up on the big stage

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information